Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2015, 10:55 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm sold on a tilt/hopefully swivel flash that can be fired off camera. Digging the posted diffusers and I think I'll be able to do everything I know that I want to do right now with just that set up. So, I'm not thinking ring flash at the moment. If I decide some day that capturing bees and dragonflies at f22 is something that I can only do with a ring flash, then I'll think about it then.

Hoping to sell a few of my lenses and then I'll narrow my search for a flash unit.

I really, truly appreciate the advice and feel free to keep it coming. I'll spend a little more time in this sub-forum as I'm learning.

10-22-2015, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Ringflash seems to have been discounted here due to 'flatness', but doesn't the Pentax one offer something superior here with its split semi-circular tubes and independent contrast control (ratio control of each side of the ring).... ?
Yes. Ring flashes are not "bad" per se. But they're really expensive, and of limited use. Because of this, I for one don't recommend them for someone starting with flash.

you can get comparable results (not identical, mind you) with two standard flashes placed to the sides. You could get two Godox V850 or Cactus RF60 (or even Yongnuo units) for the price of a ring flash, and still have money to spare.
10-26-2015, 11:05 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I bought an AF-540FGZ flash today from our classifieds. Lucky that it was local, so I brought it home and wow...this is going to change a lot of things for me. I have a lot of learning to do, but without doing any, I took this photo of my wife bouncing off of the ceiling.

And took this 1:1 macro photo, with the hood on and the flash mounted using only the built in diffuser. No shadow!

So, I'm off to a good start in my book. This is going to open up a whole new world for my photography. I'm glad that I spent that time learning to live without a flash and I'll still shoot that way for a whole bunch of stuff that I like to do, but neither of these fairly simple photographs would have turned out that way.

Thanks again for all of your help. I'll continue learning from all of you through this forum.
10-27-2015, 05:47 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Good to see you getting going with flash! It's a fun subject to get into, I hope you enjoy learning using it more and more.