Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2016, 06:56 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
But we both know pentax has a snowballs chance in hell of ever getting TTL or HSS support from a third party manufacturer.
Acon: P-TTL including HSS.
Aokatek: P-TTL including HSS.
Priolite: Hypersync with Pentax.
Cactus: HSS and Hypersync with Pentax.
Metz: P-TTL HSS support planned (based on the Pixel King trigger).

10-27-2016, 02:43 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Acon: P-TTL including HSS. Aokatek: P-TTL including HSS. Priolite: Hypersync with Pentax. Cactus: HSS and Hypersync with Pentax. Metz: P-TTL HSS support planned (based on the Pixel King trigger).
okay,okay I get it, I was wrong on that statement. All of those trigger systems you mentioned are tedious as hell to work with [and rather obscure too] and there are many issues encountered by users with with these systems with misfiring, lack of range, interference and reduced power control when using HSS. Getting TTL and HSS with Canon/Nikon flash units and professional strobes that support it at most, just involve a simple flick of a switch. While there are still limitations and issues with HSS when using Canon and Nikon equipment - it is easier to use than the current pentax implementation of it.
10-27-2016, 03:16 AM   #48
Pentaxian

okay,okay I get it, I was wrong on that statement. All of those trigger systems you mentioned are tedious as hell to work with [and rather obscure too]
Again, that statement has no foundation in reality.

Some of the systems may have some trade-offs but by no means they are all "tedious as hell to work with". You are not helping anyone with incorrect characterisations like that.
10-27-2016, 04:17 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All this discussion on HSS isn't accomplishing anything anyway, Zafar is unlikely to use it as the reduction in flash power would be unacceptable when large light modifiers are in use. As I recall there is only one of them that can be used with the Godox flash units with HSS ( I can't remember which one).

I'm speaking from my own experience here: Working in an studio environment requires certain equipment that photographers and assistants are familiar with, Pocketwizards are pretty much universal. Everyone in the studio I'm working in at present knows how to use them. Using obscure triggers with a unconventional start up sequence to pair the transmitters to the receivers like the Acon, is tedious. Especially when one is trying to work quickly, time is quite literally: money. You want to spend the least amount of time getting your gear set up and more time on the Model. In the commercial photography environment models can be expensive to hire, studio hire is expensive*, hiring assistants is expensive - you want to work with gear that is reliable, simple to set up and break down and also have access to professional service should anything go wrong. Especially if you are working alone, which makes the requirement for ease of set up and breakdown a higher priority.

* even if you are working outdoors there are an increasing number of locations these days require permits for commercial photographic endeavors, and some of these places command ridiculously steep prices.

10-27-2016, 04:48 PM   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Using obscure triggers with a unconventional start up sequence to pair the transmitters to the receivers like the Acon, is tedious.
They're no different to any other brand, you pair 'em once, that's it, swap 'em between cameras all you like thereafter.

I've found them to be as reliable as my Vello cable, to be honest.
10-28-2016, 09:01 AM   #51
Pentaxian

As I recall there is only one of them that can be used with the Godox flash units with HSS ( I can't remember which one).
Cactus V6II triggers work with Godox flash units with HSS.

The Acon triggers may also work with Godox flashes as well, unless they are dependent on using P-TTL HSS capable flashes on the receiver.

The rest -- with the exception of the Metz which we know nothing about yet -- to the best of my knowledge do not work with Godox flashes in HSS applications.

Working in an studio environment requires certain equipment that photographers and assistants are familiar with, Pocketwizards are pretty much universal. Everyone in the studio I'm working in at present knows how to use them.
So you are saying all other trigger alternatives are out of the question because they are not Pocket Wizards? That would preclude even those alternatives that are better suited than Pocket Wizards.

BTW, Pocket Wizards were once the go to brand for professionals that needed radio triggering. However, that has changed as other alternatives have become at least as reliable as Pocket Wizard triggers and offer more functionality for much, much less money. Pocket Wizard has been in the news for sacking employees and not doing well commercially. Their triggers are definitely no longer the gold standard they have been a number of years ago.

Using obscure triggers with a unconventional start up sequence to pair the transmitters to the receivers like the Acon, is tedious.
None of the systems I listed requires an unconventional start up sequence, AFAIK. I'd go further and argue that for those who prefer manual power level control, the Cactus V6II is a more efficient tool than Pocket Wizard triggers.
10-29-2016, 10:40 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Acon triggers may also work with Godox flashes as well, unless they are dependent on using P-TTL HSS capable flashes on the receiver.
so there is only a possibility they might work with HSS with the AD360?

So you are saying all other trigger alternatives are out of the question because they are not Pocket Wizards?
I was using pocketwizards as an example, Elincrom skyports,Radiopoppers, Profoto Air triggers are also common.

07-26-2017, 06:34 PM - 6 Likes   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was googling for HSS and AD360 when this thread showed up. Might as well do an update

I've been very happy with the AD360. The trigger issue I had got solved by adding a YN-RF605C transceiver to the mix. YN on the camera and XT16 on the YN. I already had the YN transceiver, so that was nice.

This week, I got me a Cactus V6II, so I can do some HSS too - didn't need it before, but now the sun can be really evil. I'm looking forward to do the first proper shots tomorrow.

These are some of the first shots I did.
11-29-2017, 05:08 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I was googling for HSS and AD360 when this thread showed up. Might as well do an update

I've been very happy with the AD360. The trigger issue I had got solved by adding a YN-RF605C transceiver to the mix. YN on the camera and XT16 on the YN. I already had the YN transceiver, so that was nice.

This week, I got me a Cactus V6II, so I can do some HSS too - didn't need it before, but now the sun can be really evil. I'm looking forward to do the first proper shots tomorrow.

These are some of the first shots I did.

Very nice shots.
12-09-2017, 09:53 AM   #55

Glad the AD360 is working well for you. This thread is pretty old, so it's great to see some kind of conclusion to it after all this time. These are nice shots. What modifiers did you go with in the end? And how are they working out?
12-10-2017, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
Very nice shots.
Thanks! Glad you like them.

QuoteOriginally posted by jonby Quote
Glad the AD360 is working well for you. This thread is pretty old, so it's great to see some kind of conclusion to it after all this time. These are nice shots. What modifiers did you go with in the end? And how are they working out?
Thank you.

I used 120cm octa for the previous shots.

I'd love to use the 120cm octa more but the size can be cumbersome to handle and can also limit where I can use it. For instance, the following shot was made on military ground. I used Witstro 48cm Softbox (the one that can be bought as accessory to the WD360) and am rather certain I would have been asked to pack my gear if I had used the 120cm octa :P

Besides, I think the 120 would eat too much light for a shot like this. The final shot was 0.8 stop underexposed (flash set to full power and was as close as I could get it), but that's no biggie to fix in post.

12-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
When taking photos, there is always a lag/delay before the photo is taken. I dug into it today and learned that if I swap the Cactus trigger with Yongnuo, the delay completely disappears. I wasn't using HSS and disabling Power Sync (or any other setting on the Cactus trigger I tried) didn't help.

I'm very interested to see, if the YN trigger will solve my next problem too: sometimes the WD360 stops firing for a bunch of photos shot in a row. Does anyone know if the Cactus trigger can behave oddly? I do not think the WD 360 was overheating.
01-03-2018, 05:15 PM   #58
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I have not experienced any shutter delays when shooting with my K-1 and the Cactus V6iis. The Cactus triggers work the same as the Elinchrom Skyport on my ELB400. The only issue I've had with the Cactus triggers is sometimes the transmitter on the camera hotshoe does not seat completely- then all sorts of weird behavior occur. If I remove then re-install and re-seat the trigger all the way back in the hotshoe that always fixes the issue.
01-04-2018, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dfp771 Quote
I have not experienced any shutter delays when shooting with my K-1 and the Cactus V6iis. The Cactus triggers work the same as the Elinchrom Skyport on my ELB400. The only issue I've had with the Cactus triggers is sometimes the transmitter on the camera hotshoe does not seat completely- then all sorts of weird behavior occur. If I remove then re-install and re-seat the trigger all the way back in the hotshoe that always fixes the issue.
Sounds like the VIIs have that issue fixed - as for the re-seating thing, it has almost become a habit of mine with K-3 II

Regarding the the odd behavior with the FT16 trigger - it's broken. The joint where the trigger housing meets the hotshoe tightening fixture is lose and very easily loses contact and therefor wont fire.

Just got my replacement today - but the shop sent me FT16s, which I can't use at all. Doh! :P
01-08-2018, 09:41 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Hi Zafar,

I really like your work with flash. Please post more when you get a chance.