Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2015, 07:12 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Question: I'm a wedding photographer and next year I want to better control the light especially indoor.... I don't know very much about studio light. Trying to learn and buy the right stuff. My idea is to get 3 or 4 speedlights and 1 or 2 strobes type Einstein (for very high ceilings) but I need a trigger system that can work with both strobe and speedights. I looked at the Yongnuo 560 stuff but I don't know if it can be associated with some YN trigger.... Would Cactus work for me @class A? I also need to use my Metz 52 on camera while having control of my speedlights and potentially strobe. Thank you all!,

11-22-2015, 08:01 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
...I need a trigger system that can work with both strobe and speedights.
Most triggers will be able to trigger both speedlights and strobes, provided they have a syncport to connect to the strobe with a short cable.

I only know one speedlight-compatible trigger that is capable of also controlling the power levels of some Paul C. Buff strobes. That's the Radiopopper JrX/Jr2. The latter digital Jr2 version is quite similar to the Cactus V6 in its overall approach.

I looked at the Yongnuo 560 stuff but I don't know if it can be associated with some YN trigger.... Would Cactus work for me @class A?
The V6 would work as it has a syncport to connect to strobes (with a cheap audio cable). But remember that there won't be remote power control with strobes.

Some Yongnuo receivers like the RF-602 also have a syncport (sadly using a PC connector) but I don't know whether the YN560-TX would work with those when also controlling YN560-IV speedlights. IIRC, the YN560-TX has to be in a special (RF-603?) mode to work with the latter and hence may not be able to fire RF-602s at the same time.

This is were the "fun" with Yongnuo starts as compatibility has not been their strong suit. They did some updates to at least alleviate this issue and RF-603 receivers also have a syncport but an actual Yongnuo user would be better suited to help you with this system.

I also need to use my Metz 52 on camera...
In general the V6 supports that (including TTL pass-through, if desired). Unfortunately, the Metz 52 is one of the few unsupported models for remote power control. You could certainly fire it on an on-camera V6 and TTL pass-through may also work, but I'm not sure about the latter.

You could ask a corresponding question at the Cactus community forum.
11-22-2015, 09:09 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Most triggers will be able to trigger both speedlights and strobes, provided they have a syncport to connect to the strobe with a short cable.

I only know one speedlight-compatible trigger that is capable of also controlling the power levels of some Paul C. Buff strobes. That's the Radiopopper JrX/Jr2. The latter digital Jr2 version is quite similar to the Cactus V6 in its overall approach.

The V6 would work as it has a syncport to connect to strobes (with a cheap audio cable). But remember that there won't be remote power control with strobes.

Some Yongnuo receivers like the RF-602 also have a syncport (sadly using a PC connector) but I don't know whether the YN560-TX would work with those when also controlling YN560-IV speedlights. IIRC, the YN560-TX has to be in a special (RF-603?) mode to work with the latter and hence may not be able to fire RF-602s at the same time.

This is were the "fun" with Yongnuo starts as compatibility has not been their strong suit. They did some updates to at least alleviate this issue and RF-603 receivers also have a syncport but an actual Yongnuo user would be better suited to help you with this system.

In general the V6 supports that (including TTL pass-through, if desired). Unfortunately, the Metz 52 is one of the few unsupported models for remote power control. You could certainly fire it on an on-camera V6 and TTL pass-through may also work, but I'm not sure about the latter.

You could ask a corresponding question at the Cactus community forum.

Thank you for your reply!

I need to find out if the Metz 52 would be fully functional via the V6 pass through. If it is, that alone will make it a winner over the YN560 system...

So do I get it right? The V6 triggers via TTL and will not work with fully manual speedlights like the YN560 units?
11-22-2015, 10:02 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have learned some great things in this post. My summation is...

A.) Inexpensive and mostly dependable solution = Yongnuo system

B.) Costs a bit more, added features, more reliability = Cactus system

Since i am one a budget, i will probably use the Yongnuo system and grow into the Cactus system as money allows. It seems clear, cost aside, the Cactus system is the more featured filled solution.

11-22-2015, 11:05 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Thank you for your reply!
No worries.

I need to find out if the Metz 52 would be fully functional via the V6 pass through.
You could also try using this forum. There are a number of Metz 52 users, perhaps one of them also has a V6.

So do I get it right? The V6 triggers via TTL and will not work with fully manual speedlights like the YN560 units?
The V6 triggers will trigger manual speedlights as well, but they need TTL or digital TTL (for select models) to achieve remote power control.
11-22-2015, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Found this online, on the Paul C Buff tech-forum:
"Hi, I just wanted to give an update on this. I bought a few Cactus V6 transceivers to experiment with. I found that they work great in combination with my Einsteins! I attached one V6 to the camera hotshoe as a transmitter to my speedlights, which have V6's attached to them as receivers. Then I mounted the Cybercommander to the top of the V6 on the camera hotshoe. Now I can totally control "power on/off" and "flash output power" to all of my Einsteins, Ultra's and speedlights individually right from my camera!! It's a beautiful thing and works perfectly without any issues! The other nice things about this setup is that the V6 receivers work with all my different speedlights, even a cheap Bower model not listed in the V6 menu. At $54.95 each from Adorama, this seems to be the bomb for mixing PB strobes and speedlights!"
11-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
B.) Costs a bit more, added features, more reliability = Cactus system
The one thing I'd add is "better usability".

Say you have already established the levels for three groups and now change the f-stop of your lens by one stop.

On the YN560-TX you now have to make 11 (=3 x 1/3 steps + two group changes) button presses in order to change the levels on the groups to ensure the exposure does not change.

On the V6 you turn the dial by three clicks. Done. Or only two clicks, if you set the EV step to 1/2.

You can also change the EV step to 1 or 1/10. In the latter case, you'd have to turn the dial 10 clicks, but there is an "adjustment accelerator" (press in the dial) that allows you to temporarily change the EV step to 1.

That's just one example of how much easier it can be to use a V6.

BTW, if you have four groups, you'll have to add a long button press to the YN560-III button press sequence. There will still only be three dial clicks for the V6.

On the other hand, the YN560-TX supports six groups whereas the V6 only supports four.

11-22-2015, 12:12 PM   #23
Veteran Member

In relation to the sub-discussion about P-TTL matters, I have posted a full reply to ClassAs earlier post in my Guide Support Thread, as it related to the updated material in the guide, not so much to the topic of this thread ....

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/306843-its-time-upgrade.html
11-22-2015, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
It's the other way 'round - RF-603 mode is the default, and you have to set the flashes to RF-602 mode to talk to the old triggers. According to the YN560-TX manual (and I assume also for YN-560 IV and RF605 as triggers), you can assign the mode by group and set aside a group for RF-602 receivers. The RF-603, RF-603 II, and RF605 all have a PC sync port, so unless you already have RF-602s, there's not much reason to mess with them.
11-23-2015, 09:26 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Quick followup: The Wansen WS-603 clones of the Yongnuo RF-603 do have a 3.5mm jack instead of a PC sync connector, if you need to sync an external device but not use a PC cord. I have a couple of them, and while they feel kind of cheap, they seem to work fine with the YongNuo units. I'd forgotten that they don't have PC sync connectors.

The new Yongnuo ETTL/YN-622 series YN685 flash can be triggered by the manual-only series RF-603 II, YN560-TX, and YN-560 IV, but the YN685 has to be set to RF-603 mode. That might be what Class A was thinking of. Basically, it turns the YN685 into a slave-only YN660 (which appears to be a slightly more powerful successor to the YN-560 IV)
11-23-2015, 10:37 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Alright,

I am looking for an affordable wireless flash controller and flashes. I want to control 3 flases (or more in the future). I was set on the Cactus system, however.... I just found the YN560-TX system. I feel this system is cheaper and may work great for me.

I want to use this set up for my studio, weddings, and live events.

NOTE: I already have a YN560-III, I want to buy the YN560-TX and 2 x YN560-IV flasehes IF I go with this system.

Camera: Pentax K-5ii

What are your thoughts?
I am running this config.
x1 560-TX
x1 560III
x2 560IV
1 RF 601 (for backup)

(I got Metz 48, Vivtar 285HV, 560II and a small flash if need be, but they have been unused for a while now)

Some points from my usage :
1. 560TX and 560III/IV flash works well, but you can't group the 560III
2. Grouping/Pwr/zoom control of the flash is very convenient when working in a studio setup (ie. flash in the soft boxes and a distance from each other) and when the flashes are placed in strategic spots on location to light up the place (ie. a large church or hall)
3. In theory, 560IV can be a controller as well, but I've found that at least on one unit, it drains battery too fast to be reliable. (so stick to a RF601 or 560TX )
4. The RF601 can't group or control power, but does allow me to mount a flash on it. So I have a few flashes off camera in strategic lighting areas and one on the camera so that the location I'm shooting always benefits from a bounced flash (often acting as the Key light) .

Happy user overall.
The price of the two 560IV and the 560TX cost less than my Metz 48.
11-24-2015, 08:32 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Some points from my usage :
1. 560TX and 560III/IV flash works well, but you can't group the 560III
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your comment here about not being able to group the 560III, so I though I'd check as the 560 TX manual (such that it is) describes how to activate the group function for 560III flashes in paragraph number 6.
11-24-2015, 08:57 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by T Evergreen Quote
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your comment here about not being able to group the 560III, so I though I'd check as the 560 TX manual (such that it is) describes how to activate the group function for 560III flashes in paragraph number 6.
I am also interested in this answer. I have the 560III and want to know how it mingles with the 560IV in a group setting. (Hopefully it can be social )
11-24-2015, 12:55 PM   #29

I am also interested in this answer. I have the 560III and want to know how it mingles with the 560IV in a group setting. (Hopefully it can be social )
Being social is no problem. I have both the 560 III and IV, as well as the 560 TX. Both flashes work similarly in conjunction with the TX. As I recall when I got the TX, the IV works simply by turning both units on and ensuring they both were using the same communication mode (RF602 or RF603). The III requires an extra step as explained in the owners manual; paragraph 6 covers activating the group mode for the III. Initially, I couldn't get the III to work with the TX, but that was only because I didn't read the TX manual carefully about activating the group mode. I just finished putting fresh batteries in the TX and III, and then ran it through it's paces with no problems. Also, I'm using the YN560-TX For N (Nikon) and have no experience with the YN560-TX For C (Canon).
12-02-2015, 01:17 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by T Evergreen Quote
My manual is in Chinese which I returned to my teacher ages ago.
I better download an English one.

Thanks