Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-01-2015, 11:47 AM   #1

Backdrops for Rookies

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm contemplating on purchasing a couple of muslin backdrops, they look sort of tie-died. I'm thinking that I need one light colored backdrop and one darker color backdrop to start with. Right now I'm looking at a light brown, reddish/maroon and either a light or dark blue backdrop. Also, I don't have any lighting equipment "yet" so I'd be shooting with mostly natural lighting, mainly to shoot a few items I have for sale and what ever else down the road.

Your expertise, suggestions and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David

12-01-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can,t really say much, but it might pay to take a photo of proposed backdrop prior to purchase. With skin tones or model would be even better.
12-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter

For product photos, couldn't you just use an inexpensive sheet or hit the fabric store for a decent sized piece of solid fabric? For a lot cheaper?
12-01-2015, 01:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

go to a fabric store and see if you can get a sheet of velvet. Buy an inexpensive backdrop stand (Strobepro Studio Lighting Photography Camera & Video Equipment Calgary for example has some good pricing) and then use clamps to secure them. Velvet sucks in light and is great for isolating your subject. On the flip, white bed sheet can do wonders too.

But if you can get Muslin on sale for cheap (Welcome to Lightrein had a sale on Muslin recently. I got a 9x10 for cheap!)

I find that paper and a backdrop is probably the most cost effective however.

you don't even need fancy strobes when your starting. You could get by with a few Metz flashes to start. Just get umbreallas for them. Could probably build a decent flashgun/brolly kit 2-3 units with stands for under $500

12-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A friend of mine made a backdrop frame out of pcv pipes he already had, first just stretched paper over it and clamp it. Next he upgraded and went to the fabric store for some material and clamped that to his frame.
12-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #6

Original Poster
Well I knew there would be a wealth of information here, and I actually should have prefaced a couple of things. The backdrops I had been looking at were on E-bay, they're 6'x9' Muslin backdrops for less than $25 including shipping. Of course I haven't seen them and assume that they're probably not the quality I'd get from a good camera shop, but I think they might work for a beginner like me. However, going to a local fabric shop is a great idea and may be less expensive.

Here's a couple of links so you'll get an idea of what I've been looking at;

Light Blue backdrop - 6 x 9 ft Studio Tie Dyed Blue Musline Backdrop Cotton Background Photography | eBay

Red Backdrop - 6 x 9 ft Studio Red Hand Painted Tie Dye Backdrop Muslin Background Photography | eBay

Dark Blue Backdrop - 6 x 9 ft Blue Muslin Hand Painted Tie Dye Backdrop Cloud Background Photography | eBay

Thanks a bunch for your input and ideas.
12-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by guitardude Quote
Well I knew there would be a wealth of information here, and I actually should have prefaced a couple of things. The backdrops I had been looking at were on E-bay, they're 6'x9' Muslin backdrops for less than $25 including shipping. Of course I haven't seen them and assume that they're probably not the quality I'd get from a good camera shop, but I think they might work for a beginner like me. However, going to a local fabric shop is a great idea and may be less expensive.

Light Blue backdrop - 6 x 9 ft Studio Tie Dyed Blue Musline Backdrop Cotton Background Photography | eBay

Red Backdrop - 6 x 9 ft Studio Red Hand Painted Tie Dye Backdrop Muslin Background Photography | eBay

Dark Blue Backdrop - 6 x 9 ft Blue Muslin Hand Painted Tie Dye Backdrop Cloud Background Photography | eBay

I've shot on the last two, pretty sure... the red is super nice. I like it a lot. the blue is a little crazy and gives off color casts. I'd look at the Red and a black/slate/grey one. A slate one is very versatile.

12-01-2015, 03:20 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the information, also here's another I was contemplating because of the "earth" tone.

Brown Back Drop - PHOT6X9FT Hand Painted Tie Dye High Qlty Muslin Backdrop Brown Background Studio | eBay
12-01-2015, 04:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by guitardude Quote

I looked at the link for the dark blue backdrop and I would be very leery about ordering them. Auction says seller is in Texas, but if you go and look at the feedback page, seller is actually from China. I myself wonder why the seller is hiding where they are at. I have also seen where people have complained about the backgrounds from China being very, very thin and see through.

I am basically doing the same thing you are doing and trying to get lights and backgrounds together.

I pretty much have a stand already. I made mine out of two light stands and some 3/4 inch electrical conduit for the cross bar.

For the backgrounds, I have some heavy duty black cloth and some sheets. I have also been looking at the different papers and for the price, I don't think you can beat them.

Also for custom backgrounds, you can also take the roll paper and paint them with different types of paint or you can also use vinyl window shades that you have painted too.
12-04-2015, 01:41 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For a backdrop on the cheap an old bed sheet is the king,it doesn't matter if it's old and stained, just "cook" it in some fabric dye and it will look like new.
Fabric dye is very cheap and easy to get. Any backdrop that's starting to look a little worse for wear will also benefit with a re-dyeing and you can also change its colour, just remember dark colours
are hard to re-colour but a little bleach usually fixes that.
Glenn