Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-16-2015, 01:34 AM   #1

Some questions about wireless flash for af360fgzii

I am using pentax k5ii and af360FBZII flash

I am studying off camera flash and I noticed that if I use my camera as a controller, the build in flash will still be fired to trigger that AF360II flash. Is there a way to void the build-in flash fires by changing the setting?
Also, I heard pentax k3ii has no build in flash, how does this model triggers the wireless flash?

Thanks!

Hailei.

12-16-2015, 01:57 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, you can change the menu item to make the onboard flash attempt to be a controller only.

In practice, the flash decays rather than stops suddenly, so some residual light is detectable if ambient levels are low.

The new K3ii will require you to purchase the AFG200 or similar as an optical trigger.

At this point, you might as well look at a cheap radio kit..
12-16-2015, 05:20 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my testing the controller mode significantly reduced light output and was not noticed in many settings. ISO, background and subject all matter. In general I found it more than acceptable most of the time.

However cheap radio triggers will eliminate the issue.
12-16-2015, 05:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

No you can't prevent the flash from firing but you can as mentioned set the on board to controller and use a Nikon SG 31R panel with it to eliminate any residue onboard flash lighting from affecting the exposure.
Nikon SG-3IR IR Panel for Built-In Flash 4905 B&H Photo Video

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 12-16-2015 at 05:53 AM.
12-16-2015, 04:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

So long as you're not very close to a subject I have not felt that the built-in flash in controller mode really adds light ..... it will give some gentle catchlights though, which is not a problem. Its a pity that Pentax didn't think earlier to place the 'master - control' setting within the flash mode settings screen. It is there on the K3, rather than in the custom menu on the K7 / K5, and it is much more logical and convenient in the flash mode screen. The Pentax Af-360/540FGZ flashes use a similar system for setting their on-camera 'master-controller' modes, so there's a consistency now with the K3.
12-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
..... it will give some gentle catchlights though, which is not a problem.

Yes, Mcgregni, still life/product photography is one thing, but portraits are another.

Even with off-camera or bounced flash, it's very handy to have a weak front light source to fill in a stop or so of the shadows and to provide a catchlight.

Dark, dead eyes ruin a picture of another person.

On camera flash (as unpopular as it seems to be becoming) is a great way of not having to wield a reflector or discard many shooting locations because there isn't open light behind the camera/in front of the subject.
12-16-2015, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Its one of the reasons I favour the Gary Fong Lightsphere, over a flag-type modifier for on-camera bounce ..... the lightsphere will still emit enough front-fill for that little shadow lift plus catchlight, even when bounced sideways or a little backwards. I also sometimes now switch on the front LED catchlight on the AF-540FGZII. As you can see from my new posting about portraits with P-TTL, I often use the GF light sphere bounced on-camera along with an off-camera flash in softbox.

12-16-2015, 08:17 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

For those who haven't seen his very good article and examples:

https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/portraits-with-p-ttl-wireless-ratios-55253
12-16-2015, 11:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks clackers! I'm pleased you saw it, and I hope it was interesting .... I always like to post pics of Pentax flashes