Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-07-2009, 05:09 AM   #46
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madman6767 Quote
The 540 is horrible in PTTL and I am about to switch to the other side for reliablility after 20 years!
Metz have AutoFocus assit Beam in Auto?
That may be your experience, but used correctly, the P-TTL of the 540 works just right, and I've used it on the *ist D, the K10D and the K20D - all giving me excellent results in P-TTL mode with a +0.7 FEC dialled up...

To those who want to switch flash systems for perceived P-TTL unreliability of the 540, my strong suggestion is to learn how to use the equipment first before being disappointed to find out the same issues occurring regardless of the flash plonked onto your cameras.

10-07-2009, 06:22 AM   #47
HeG

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deuces Quote
Short version: I've done a TON of research on these flashes (Pentax 540, Metz 58), and the conclusion I came to is that it's pretty much a wash. Buy the one that's cheaper in your region. Metz has a stellar reputation, and I strongly believe the reliability issues with the 540 are overblown.

I believe the differences between the Metz 48 and 58 are, the 58 has auto mode, has a second reflector, has more wireless features, and is more powerful. The auto is probably a key, as p-ttl underexposes if there's anything very reflective in the frame. And yes, the blinkies.

Differences between the 540 and the 58 are slight range/power, the 58 has a secondary reflector and can read camera settions (iso/aperture) in auto mode. I've read that in auto, you can do flash exposure compensation on the 540 but not the 58.

I believe both are excellent units. Germany? Go for the Metz!
So, what would you (all) recommend for a newbie with k20d - Metz 48 or 58?
Is the wireless function so important? I have read the this thread, but since I am new with flashes I don´t understand som much of all the PTTL, auto...
10-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
To those who want to switch flash systems for perceived P-TTL unreliability of the 540, my strong suggestion is to learn how to use the equipment first before being disappointed to find out the same issues occurring regardless of the flash plonked onto your cameras.
I have to agree with you, Ash.

I've had my AF540FGZ almost a year, and it did take a little experimenting to get predictable results, but now I am 100% satisfied with this flash.

I've always experimented with my equipement so that I can get predictable results without too much thinking. I've found that using the flash in P-TTL mode outdoors with the camera in either program or Av mode, and using the unit indoors in Auto mode gives the results I like best.

70mm @ f5.6 @ 1/180 second. Camera in program mode, AF540 flash in P-TTL mode.

I thought this shot was slightly overexposed, so I added a little of the fresco effect at Photobucket to restore the child's slightly ruddy complexion and make her blue eyes pop a little more.

70mm @ f5.6 @ 1/90 second. Camera in manual mode, AF540 flash @ 5.6 in Auto mode.

When it comes to family get-togethers, parties and weddings, I want to be ready to get the shot at a moments notice, because once the moment's lost, it may never come again. I think many of you will agree with me. When I'm shooting a model, then I'll take a little more time to set up the shot I want.

I've never used the Metz units we're talking about in this thread, and I'm sure they're excellent units, but I absolutely love this Pentax AF540FGZ flash.

In case you haven't noticed, I also love the DA70mm for portraits.

Both shots with the Pentax K100D.

Mike
10-22-2009, 02:41 AM   #49
Inactive Account

I have been looking at the pentax AF540 and the Metz 58 and was leaning towards the metz
flash untill i saw the price of the auxilary power pack. It cost as much as the flash, But if you just plan on using AA batteries the price difference between the flashes is only $15.00
Prices at B & H for the flashes are as follows: pentax 540 is 384.95 and the Metz 58 is 399.99
The reviews i have read off and on this site say go with the Metz, because it has the most
features. The only fault i have found is that the Metz has this problem:
"Metz 58 AF-1 flash unit does NOT function as a controller/master when trying to wirelessly activate a second, off-camera flash in High-Speed Sync. However, the Metz CAN be used as the HSS slave" Hopefully since the metz can receive upgrades through your computer, this will be fixed.

10-30-2009, 03:48 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rsthelens Quote
I have been looking at the pentax AF540 and the Metz 58 and was leaning towards the metz
flash untill i saw the price of the auxilary power pack. It cost as much as the flash, But if you just plan on using AA batteries the price difference between the flashes is only $15.00
Prices at B & H for the flashes are as follows: pentax 540 is 384.95 and the Metz 58 is 399.99
The reviews i have read off and on this site say go with the Metz, because it has the most
features. The only fault i have found is that the Metz has this problem:
"Metz 58 AF-1 flash unit does NOT function as a controller/master when trying to wirelessly activate a second, off-camera flash in High-Speed Sync. However, the Metz CAN be used as the HSS slave" Hopefully since the metz can receive upgrades through your computer, this will be fixed.
If you're talking about a firmware upgrade to correct this deficiency regarding HSS, you can forget it. I contacted Metz/Bogen here in the U.S. about this, and the response ultimately from Germany was that they are aware of the problem but do NOT plan to fix it.
10-30-2009, 01:59 PM   #51
Inactive Account

Hello, I'm from Canada as well and a new K-7 owner looking for a flash and, like you, considering both the Pentax 540 and Metz 58. The many "issues" I've read about the Pentax flash are making me lean towards the Metz. So far, the only place I've been able to find the Metz is at Vistek (go to vistek.ca). They sell both the Metz 48 ($299 free shipping) and the Metz 58 ($549 free shipping). This is a big difference in price. I called the store to discuss this with the sales person and his responses led me to believe he truly did not know why the 58 was so much more than the 48. If anyone here knows if the 58 is truly worth the $250 premium over the 48 I'd love to hear as I'm hoping to make a decision in the next few weeks.
10-30-2009, 03:46 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IJK Ottawa Quote
Hello, I'm from Canada as well and a new K-7 owner looking for a flash and, like you, considering both the Pentax 540 and Metz 58. The many "issues" I've read about the Pentax flash are making me lean towards the Metz. So far, the only place I've been able to find the Metz is at Vistek (go to vistek.ca). They sell both the Metz 48 ($299 free shipping) and the Metz 58 ($549 free shipping). This is a big difference in price. I called the store to discuss this with the sales person and his responses led me to believe he truly did not know why the 58 was so much more than the 48. If anyone here knows if the 58 is truly worth the $250 premium over the 48 I'd love to hear as I'm hoping to make a decision in the next few weeks.
These are two different flashes for different purposes. The 48 is a good midrange product, the 58 is the high-end product. You will find all the differences, pros and cons here:
Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison: The Definitive Guide

Matt not only collected all the official flash data, but also placed a lot of research in his site. You'll find it invaluable.

Ben

11-01-2009, 04:04 PM   #53
Inactive Account

Thanks Ben. Given that the Metz is actually a little less than the Pentax in Canada and that, according to some of the online research I've found and the excellent flash comparison guide to which you directed me, there are some quality concerns with the Pentax flash, I guess I'll be going with the Metz 58. It's a lot of money, but as they say "buy cheap, buy often".
11-02-2009, 02:32 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IJK Ottawa Quote
Thanks Ben. Given that the Metz is actually a little less than the Pentax in Canada and that, according to some of the online research I've found and the excellent flash comparison guide to which you directed me, there are some quality concerns with the Pentax flash, I guess I'll be going with the Metz 58. It's a lot of money, but as they say "buy cheap, buy often".
I don't have that particular modell, but am using Metz flash guns for more than 25 years now. My oldest Metz 45 has been with me, since I bought my LX in 1981 or so and is still working properly. I never had any problems and currently use two MZ54s, the old 54 and an MZ50. They provide reliable service and the Metz A-setting is – in my experience –*more reliable than P-TTL.

Ben
11-02-2009, 03:24 AM   #55

i will buy Metz flash

As much as i want to buy Pentax gear, i decided to buy the 58 metz flash based on the features/reviews and that is 90 Euro less that 540 here in Romania. Tomorrow is the day, i'll return with feedback.

LE: i got it, played with it just 1-2 hour. it was 290 EUR. First impresion (after using a few days an SB-900 ) it looks well built, works ok. I don't like plastic foot and the head that move too easy, it doesn't lock in intermediate position.

Metz 58AF-1 , Auto mode, bounce from right wall
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Last edited by ionutmar; 11-05-2009 at 02:06 AM.