Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-10-2008, 05:38 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
Metz

Just wondering if you guys can tell me a bit more about the Metz flashes from your experience.

2 things, battery life and refresh time. My Sigma 500 did a major crap out on me at a wedding on Saturday at crucial moments (i'm second shooter, but still...) and i really want to replace it. Basically since i had the burned out bulb replaced it's been overheating then not zooming and then shutting down. Unacceptable to let it cool off during a wedding!

Also, what's the practical difference between the 48 and the 58? Weddings are my main concern for a flash, model shoots should be ok with the Sigma still but having two units will be handy generally. But at a wedding i really just need consistent metering and exposure, which i'm finding the Sigma and K10 aren;t giving me. The idea of this smart mode or it's "Auto" mode is pretty cool. The Sigma's just doesn't seem to gel on the K10.

Also is there a Stoffen available for the Metz? (Edit - sorry, i see SRS have a Stoffen, apologies)

Of course i'd consider the Pentax 540 (360 is under powered) but have wondered about the Metz range. The 58 is actually 30 pounds cheaper than the 540. And the 48 over 100 pounds cheaper.

Cheers
Ben

08-11-2008, 01:50 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For weddings I would go with the 58, as it has more power output and the secondary reflector. With my MZ54 (the older SCA-version of the dedicated 58 modells) I often use the main reflector as a bounce light, either from the ceiling or a Lumiquest Omnibounce and the secondary serves as a fill, to reduce the shadows under the eyes and nose - it also creates a catchlight in the eyes. I find, that this gives a much better (softer) light, than the Stofen, but also gives some modulatiopn to the faces at the same time.

The A-mode of the Metz worked very well with my K10, which indeed gave very unrepeatable results in P-TTL-mode in my experience.

Battery live is hard to say. But I usually go through 2 sets of NiMH batteries during a wedding, if I shoot roughly 200-300 images with that flash. I really never counted that, it is more of an estimate. I always have at least two flashes and sometimes a third as a backup for weddings, so its is hard to track the battery consumption.

I am thinking to add a Quantum battery or the Metz P50/P76 powerpack, so I wouldn't have to care for batteries again…

You experiences with a flash getting hot is something I never had with any Metz flash gun. THe only times I notice, that they are getting hot is, when the small ventilator in my Metz 50 is starting upü, because that makes a whizzing noise… BUt I never missed a single shot to let the flash cool down.

I hope these impressions are helpful.

Ben
08-11-2008, 07:09 AM   #33

Short version: I've done a TON of research on these flashes (Pentax 540, Metz 58), and the conclusion I came to is that it's pretty much a wash. Buy the one that's cheaper in your region. Metz has a stellar reputation, and I strongly believe the reliability issues with the 540 are overblown.

I believe the differences between the Metz 48 and 58 are, the 58 has auto mode, has a second reflector, has more wireless features, and is more powerful. The auto is probably a key, as p-ttl underexposes if there's anything very reflective in the frame. And yes, the blinkies.

Differences between the 540 and the 58 are slight range/power, the 58 has a secondary reflector and can read camera settions (iso/aperture) in auto mode. I've read that in auto, you can do flash exposure compensation on the 540 but not the 58.

I believe both are excellent units. Germany? Go for the Metz!
08-11-2008, 07:39 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deuces Quote
I believe the differences between the Metz 48 and 58 are, the 58 has auto mode...
So with Metz 48 you can only have P-TTL and manual? No other auto mode than P-TTL?

08-11-2008, 08:09 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
For weddings I would go with the 58, as it has more power output and the secondary reflector. With my MZ54 (the older SCA-version of the dedicated 58 modells) I often use the main reflector as a bounce light, either from the ceiling or a Lumiquest Omnibounce and the secondary serves as a fill, to reduce the shadows under the eyes and nose - it also creates a catchlight in the eyes. I find, that this gives a much better (softer) light, than the Stofen, but also gives some modulatiopn to the faces at the same time.

Ben
Well, this is a very timely thread for me, as I'm thinking of upgrading my flash unit soon. I'm currently using a Metz 36C-2, which is an excellent unit for its price, ($100) and its reliability.

A friend of mine recently bought a Metz 58 for his Nikon, and he has nothing but good things to say about it; this is what's gotten me interested in buying a new unit.

I've all but written off the Pentax 540, due to the reports I've read here about the underexposure problem. If some devoted 540 owner can convince me otherwise, please do.

So, a question for Ben_Edict or anyone else who can answer it: What is the main difference/advantage between the Metz 54 MZ54247P Metz 54 Series MZ-4, TTL Shoe Mount Flash for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras, Guide Number 177, ISO 100 ft.
and the Metz 58? MZ58317PS Metz 58 AF-1PS Digial Shoe Mount Flash for Pentax & Samsung Digital SLR's, with PTTL, Wireless function & USB Upgradable, Guide Number 190, ISO 100 ft.

Other than their guide numbers, which are close, they seem to be very similar. Perhaps another pair of eyes will see something I've missed.

The difference in price is 10 cents, which I find amusing.

I won't be using the flash I buy for weddings, so you can rule that out.

Any info appreciated.

Mike
08-11-2008, 08:35 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Mike, the main difference between the MZ54 and the MZ58 is, that the 54 uses the SCA 3702M2 adapter, whereas the MZ58 is a fully dedicated flash.

In reality that means:
– the MZ54 is more versatile, if you use different camera systems or if you intend to change to another system, because you can change the according SCA adapter and make the MZ54 dedicated for Canon/Nikon/Olympus etc.

– the MZ58 needs to be bought for the specific camera system, quite like the orginal flashes. No SCA adapters anymore. On the other hand, this offers much better integration into the Pentax system with Wireless P-TTL, HSS etc. - all of which the MZ54 does not offer.

If I would buy a new flash gun NOW, I would buy the MZ58. When I bought my MZ54-4i, the MZ58 was not yet released and so I had no choice as I wanted to stay with my flash system (mostly Metz flash guns), to make use of Metz's own wireless master/slave system.

Ben
08-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Mike, the main difference between the MZ54 and the MZ58 is, that the 54 uses the SCA 3702M2 adapter, whereas the MZ58 is a fully dedicated flash.

In reality that means:
– the MZ54 is more versatile, if you use different camera systems or if you intend to change to another system, because you can change the according SCA adapter and make the MZ54 dedicated for Canon/Nikon/Olympus etc.

– the MZ58 needs to be bought for the specific camera system, quite like the orginal flashes. No SCA adapters anymore. On the other hand, this offers much better integration into the Pentax system with Wireless P-TTL, HSS etc. - all of which the MZ54 does not offer.

If I would buy a new flash gun NOW, I would buy the MZ58. When I bought my MZ54-4i, the MZ58 was not yet released and so I had no choice as I wanted to stay with my flash system (mostly Metz flash guns), to make use of Metz's own wireless master/slave system.

Ben
Whoa! Now that's a fast reply!

Now I understand a little better.

One other little thing that had me leaning towards the 54, is that they have a Sto-fen onmibounce diffuser for the 54, but I didn't see one for the 58.

Not a deal-breaker, but I do like the results the omnibounce gives. I also like it because it's small. I was looking at the Gary Fong unit, but it's just too big.

It looks like there's a jar of mayonaise on top of the flash!

Thanks again for the reply, Ben.

I do appreciate it.

Mike

08-11-2008, 09:01 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
One other little thing that had me leaning towards the 54, is that they have a Sto-fen onmibounce diffuser for the 54, but I didn't see one for the 58.
Please disregard the above statement; I looked more closely, and they do have a Sto-Fen omnibounce for the Metz 58.

Mike
08-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote
So with Metz 48 you can only have P-TTL and manual? No other auto mode than P-TTL?
Correct. Manual and P-TTL only on the Metz 48.

As for underexposure, I think both the 58 and the 540 underexpose with P-TTL and a reflective element in the picture. So it's a camera thing, not a flash thing. I believe everyone's pretty much happy with either flash in auto. And some really determined fellow at our UK brother site dug deep and found a way to deal with the underexposure with P-TTL.

Linkie. The most important part is quoted below.

QuoteQuote:
* In most K10D modes the camera will always try to expose for the highlights. This is with the K10D flash setting at normal or wireless.

* When you enable the Slow Flash Sync setting on the K10D then the highlights are handled "normally"

* If you use the mode TAv then the camera will expose "normally", and not for the highlights.
There's a dedicated pentax flash forum over there, some excellent information.
08-11-2008, 02:43 PM   #40

Metz

Thanks for everyone's input here, appreciated. Certainly seems a lot of ticks for the Metx 58. It is also cheaper than the 540 here.

Ben
08-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deuces Quote
Correct. Manual and P-TTL only on the Metz 48.

As for underexposure, I think both the 58 and the 540 underexpose with P-TTL and a reflective element in the picture. So it's a camera thing, not a flash thing. I believe everyone's pretty much happy with either flash in auto. And some really determined fellow at our UK brother site dug deep and found a way to deal with the underexposure with P-TTL.
So, if you're careful watching for relective elements in the frame there should be no problems with the Pentax 540 in P-TTL, and no problems in auto?

This is making me start to reconsider the Pentax 540.

On a different note, I wanted to show you all what that little Metz 36C-2 can do.

These shots were taken about a week ago at a bass guitar get-together.

Pentax 16-45 and Metz 36C-2 for all shots.

Not bad for a $100 dollar unit, huh?

Mike
01-25-2009, 07:16 AM   #42

Metz have AutoFocus assit Beam in Auto?

The 540 is horrible in PTTL and I am about to switch to the other side for reliablility after 20 years!
01-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madman6767 Quote
The 540 is horrible in PTTL and I am about to switch to the other side for reliablility after 20 years!
Yes, AF-assist is independend of P-TTL and can even be used on its own, without firing the flash (allowing for AF in dark surroundings if you want to still expose for available light). Please confirm that for the particular Metz modell you want to buy, but this is at least the case with the MZ54-4

Ben
10-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #44

Don's photo's for $ 449.99, if you are still looking
10-07-2009, 04:21 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Yes, AF-assist is independend of P-TTL and can even be used on its own, without firing the flash (allowing for AF in dark surroundings if you want to still expose for available light). Please confirm that for the particular Metz modell you want to buy, but this is at least the case with the MZ54-4

Ben
Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison: Auto-Focus Assist / Spot Beam