Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2015, 11:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Speed Light & Backdrop stands

I purchased some Cheap Crap from Amazon and was not impressed. I need something affordable and study for a backdrop stand and flash stands.

I found a brand called Impact that seems to be highly reviewed and considered purchasing their products. I want to know what stands and backdrop stands you all like that are affordable.

Links are appreciated.

Needs:
1 Backdrop kit, about 8ft high and 8ft or wider
2 light stands, 9ft or higher
needs to be sturdy!!!!!

12-19-2015, 05:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have 2 lightstand Impact (i believe is the B&H brand) that come with a kit of 2 monolights (also Impact), so far theyre good, but in "affordables" lightstand i think i prefer the Linco lightstand.
12-19-2015, 06:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a few different stands that I have gotten either when buying some used lights or just trying to get a good deal. Some of the better ones that I have bought is made by Promaster. The biggest bang for the buck is the LS-3 stand,

SystemPro LS-3 Professional Light Stand - Stands, Poles, & Booms - Stands & Grips - Lighting & Studio

They also make a lighter stand, a heavier stand and a boom stand.

Stands, Poles, & Booms

I think Promaster does make background stands and small light stands to light backgrounds. I am not familiar with the background stands but I do have one of the background light stands and both it and the LS-3 I have seem to be well made.

Here is a little hint about the background stand. If you do not need it to be super portable, make your own. I realized that all background stands are, is just two light stands with a bar suspended between them. Because I have acquired a few stands, I went out to my local building supply store and bought some 3/4 inch conduit that is five feet long, a slip joint and two 90 degree angles. Now I have a background stand that I can adjust the width by using either one or both pieces of conduit.

If you go this route and make your own background stand, when you buy light stands, a small round protector will be on the stud on top of the stand that is screwed on. Do not throw that away because the 90 degree angles will fit over then protecting the threads on the light stand. I am in the middle of making some because not all of my stands have them.

Another option if you need some cheaper lightweight stands are Smith Victor stands. I have a couple of the RS-2 stands and they seem to be ok for the price.

Light Stands | B&H Photo Video

The RS-10 sounds like what you need.
01-18-2016, 05:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Here is a little hint about the background stand. If you do not need it to be super portable, make your own. I realized that all background stands are, is just two light stands with a bar suspended between them. Because I have acquired a few stands, I went out to my local building supply store and bought some 3/4 inch conduit that is five feet long, a slip joint and two 90 degree angles. Now I have a background stand that I can adjust the width by using either one or both pieces of conduit.
Other than the fact I used an old curtain rod with a hole drilled in either end, this is what I use for backgrounds.

For stands, I use the "Glanz 2.4m Light Stand" with a sandbag or 2 on the base.

Hope this helps.

01-21-2016, 09:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I use and love this backdrop stand and their light stands are nice too.
Polaroid Pro Studio Telescopic Background Stand Backdrop Support System - PL-SEBGKIT - RitzCamera.com
Polaroid Pro Studio 8 Air-Cushioned Heavy Duty Light Stand - PL-SELIGHTSTAND - RitzCamera.com