Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #1

af540fgz stuck in manula zoom

Hi gang,

I just bought a af540fgz flash about a week ago and have just started playing with it...pretty much new to the flash game. Anyway, I'm trying to set the zoom mode to auto and I had it working for a bit but now for some reason the display is locked on M.Zoom and 13mm no matter what I do.

Edit: Ok, it's working again but not really sure what I did to get it to work...any suggestions about what I may have done wrong to cause this (if anything)?

Also, I put a Promaster 70-300mm AF lens on my K10D jsut to check out the Auto Zoom & Manual Zoom on the 540fgz, and both zooms seem to stop at 58mm. Is this just the maximum length of the zoom on the flash, or is it most likely some sort of incompatibility issue w/ the lens...or something else?

Last edited by rjdesq; 06-29-2008 at 03:33 PM.
06-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't tend to pay much attention to the zoom reading as I only use it with my 16-45/4 lens, but I think 58mm sounds about the maximum zoom. The manual should have those specs in it.
06-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Hi rjdesq

a) Well, AF540FGZ has its own problems, like zoom or getting stuck.

b) The AF540FGZ is nowhere near the quality it should be. I was expecting you to say that your flash's zoom had jammed at 16mm as so many have complained about in the past.

c) I have one AF540FGZ that has had zero issues, and the other has had an intermittent jamming of the zoom mechanism and a complete P-TTL failure.

Also try this link:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/274688-post4.html

QuoteQuote:
I just realized one scenario where the 360 can appear to be stuck in manual zoom.
If you enter manual zoom mode, and then pull out the front diffuser panel, then it will be locked to 20mm and pressing the manual zoom button will do nothing. Simply pushing the front diffusion panel back in will make the zoom button work again. Just mentioning in case it could be this.
QuoteQuote:
I have a Pentax AF360FGZ which is stuck in the manual zoom mode and won't respond to the zoom button. I hope to have that corrected by the Pentax Service Dept., but being naturally pessimistic I'm not going to hold my breath.
Best regards
Richard
06-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
The AF540FGZ is nowhere near the quality it should be. I was expecting you to say that your flash's zoom had jammed at 16mm as so many have complained about in the past.
Yeah, it did Jam at 16mm at one point...but I may have had the diffuser panel out at the time as I was playing around with the flash trying to see what it could do. Hopefully that's all the jam was, unit seems to be operating fine now...of course it's brand new. As far as the build quality, yeah I think I'd be really disappointed if I'd paid the original list price of $500 for it instead of the $250 (with rebate). The main reason I went with this flash over a Metz or Sigma was the hope that the learning curve will be lessoned a bit due to better compatability of having a Pentax flash on a Pentax camera. Hope that's still true!

06-29-2008, 06:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you don't have the diffusion panel pushed all the way in the flash locks at 13mm and manual zoom. Make sure panel is pushed all the way in. Had this happen in the butterfly house. Drove me nuts. Was using flash with the A200 macro. The 540 barely had enough output to manage f 11-16 at 4-6 ft. Didn't figure the problem out before getting home. The 13mm is the clue. Manual zoom doesn't go that low without diffusers help.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST 7 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #8. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.