Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2015, 08:41 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the link. So looking at that, the 540 is always about one step higher power output (1/8 vs 1/16) than the 360.

That right there makes me lean towards the 540 more.

12-29-2015, 11:23 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
Thanks for the link. So looking at that, the 540 is always about one step higher power output (1/8 vs 1/16) than the 360.

That right there makes me lean towards the 540 more.
If you need the power because of distant subjects or large groups, or you need to bounce off distant walls or ceilings, yes the 540 is the better choice. But if you don't need that much power or distance, but recycling speed is essential, then the 360 has the advantage. You can dissect the math, but the bottom line is one gives you a higher GN while compromising recycle time.
12-29-2015, 11:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Modifiers and diffusion will add to the power demands, and HSS is always a struggle, especially off-camera and diffused ...so the power can be needed . Depends on your own personal anticipated needs.
12-29-2015, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think I will be able to use the extra power. With my current Nikon flash I pretty much only use it for helping indoors and as a fill flash... but that is because I have to set everything manually I almost always do a high angle bounce and use the built in white reflector. Comes out nice and smooth with no harsh shadows.

The cycle time on the old Nikon is not that great and I would like to be able to have more distance as well.

Pretty much fed up with full manual since I have small kids and the built in flash is just sad.

---------- Post added 12-29-15 at 07:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
If you need the power because of distant subjects or large groups, or you need to bounce off distant walls or ceilings, yes the 540 is the better choice. But if you don't need that much power or distance, but recycling speed is essential, then the 360 has the advantage. You can dissect the math, but the bottom line is one gives you a higher GN while compromising recycle time.
The thing is, for the same power (not the same step), both perform pretty much exactly the same as far as recycling time goes.

Watch that video and then look at the manual and you can easily see that that is the case.

---------- Post added 12-29-15 at 08:16 PM ----------

Went ahead and ordered the 540. I would rather have a bit more power than I need than to get the 360 and find out I need a bit more power.

12-30-2015, 02:06 AM   #20
Veteran Member

It's a very good flash and nice to work with, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It you don't already have it, download the newer PDF 2nd edition of my Guide (linked below my posts), as it has a lot of material on the AF-540FGZII and it's new features.
12-30-2015, 06:17 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Modifiers and diffusion will add to the power demands, and HSS is always a struggle, especially off-camera and diffused ...so the power can be needed . Depends on your own personal anticipated needs.
+1. The only possible draw back of higher power is that the flash may be too strong at the lowest setting. Since these go all the way down to 1/256 in manual mode (possible lower in pTTL?), it's a rare usage that it's an issue, and definitely not a problem when bouncing.

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
I think I will be able to use the extra power. With my current Nikon flash I pretty much only use it for helping indoors and as a fill flash... but that is because I have to set everything manually I almost always do a high angle bounce and use the built in white reflector. Comes out nice and smooth with no harsh shadows.

The cycle time on the old Nikon is not that great and I would like to be able to have more distance as well.
I'm sure you'll enjoy your new flash, but have you tried your SB26 in auto-thyristor mode? I've found it to be pretty reliable for exposures when bouncing.

You probably already know, but as a bonus, your SB-26 has a built in optical slave that has a 'delay' mode to ignore the pre-flashes of pTTL systems, so you can integrate it into a multi-flash system. Exposures can be tricky if you're combining multiple methods (you can always go full manual when appropriate), but it's an easy way to throw in a little accent light with the SB-26.
12-30-2015, 08:28 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
It's a very good flash and nice to work with, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It you don't already have it, download the newer PDF 2nd edition of my Guide (linked below my posts), as it has a lot of material on the AF-540FGZII and it's new features.
I will definitely download the guide. Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
+1. The only possible draw back of higher power is that the flash may be too strong at the lowest setting. Since these go all the way down to 1/256 in manual mode (possible lower in pTTL?), it's a rare usage that it's an issue, and definitely not a problem when bouncing.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new flash, but have you tried your SB26 in auto-thyristor mode? I've found it to be pretty reliable for exposures when bouncing.

You probably already know, but as a bonus, your SB-26 has a built in optical slave that has a 'delay' mode to ignore the pre-flashes of pTTL systems, so you can integrate it into a multi-flash system. Exposures can be tricky if you're combining multiple methods (you can always go full manual when appropriate), but it's an easy way to throw in a little accent light with the SB-26.
I don't think I ever tried it in auto-thyristor mode. Either that or I was having trouble with it only firing at full strength when setting it to auto. I'll definitely look into using it as a second flash and may try it in auto-thyristor mode to compare to the 540 once it arrives.

Playing with a multi-flash setup is on my list of things to try out.