Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2015, 02:48 AM   #1

Looking to buy first modern flash

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi,

I've been using some vintage flashes for a while now (Kako 300SG, Vivitar 283) but I'm looking to buy a modern flash because I wanted:
Primarily:
- More control over the flash power
- Better recycle times; along with more flashes before capacitor depletes (based on flash strength, but the vintages don't give me much flexibility)
- Wireless sync (carrying around a couple feet of PC sync cable would be a hassle as the hotshoe voltages are too high for me to want to let it across my K-3)

and these would be nice:
- More available accessories (diffusers)
- P-TTL (not my main concern as I now have experience in using manual flashes, but auto is always nice to have hahah)

I'm looking to keep it as cheap as possible, but if the product is worth it I might cough up for it (or look for a good second hand unit), but sub-$200 is a good range

Thanks!

12-29-2015, 05:30 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Well, if I was starting now and didn't want any automatic exposure control, and didn't need High Speed Sync, I'd choose a Cactus RF60 and V6 transceiver. Good quality build-wise, good to operate and good power, swivel/tilt . Works on the camera as well and the radio trigger is easy to use and very handy with power plus flash head zoom adjustments.

Of course I do need P-TTL and HSS, so need my 2 Pentax AF-540's as well... But I'm very pleased with the Cactus gear as it works nicely side by side with my dedicated system. But the Cactus system is easily expandable with another RF60 as a future addition, or another V6 or two to use with other manual flashes.

If you want dedicated, then the Sigma 610DG Super model is hard to beat for bang per buck. Or look out for good used Pentax AF-540FGZ units.

There's also a member here who's recently bought a new Tumax flash, which is fully dedicated and very inexpensive. There's a recent thread here about it and his initial reports were positive.
12-30-2015, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Gallery
Yongnuo 560-IV and 603IIC triggers for the older extra flashes. Around 100 USD. Nice build and good value. Just got mine from Santa and I am impressed.

Last edited by jeffw; 12-30-2015 at 04:30 PM.
12-30-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Santa is supposed to be still making the rounds... my Cactus V6/RF60 bundle from Adorama should be arriving any day now.....

12-30-2015, 02:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Metz 58 AF-2 and use Cactus triggers with it. To keep recycle times down I also have a Godox external battery which helps a lot with both recycles time and the amount of use before you need to change batteries.
12-30-2015, 03:32 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
Santa is supposed to be still making the rounds... my Cactus V6/RF60 bundle from Adorama should be arriving any day now.....
Nice! Both good systems for a reasonable price. I was eyeballing the same sale but my second flash would not be able to take advantage of the extra features. Enjoy.
12-30-2015, 04:43 PM   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffw Quote
Nice! Both good systems for a reasonable price. I was eyeballing the same sale but my second flash would not be able to take advantage of the extra features. Enjoy.

I am hoping to use the RF60 on my K-3, with the V6 as an off-camera flash with a basic AF200G.... so, we'll see...

01-02-2016, 11:38 PM   #8
ADN

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I ended up settling on a Yongnuo 560-IV because I figured I'd just be using my flash in manual almost all the time and for AU$72 (15% ebay offer) I couldn't say no to the build quality and GN at that price hahah

Might look at getting a Yongnuo 603IIC to help slave my older flashes...
On a side note, does anyone know if the yongnuo capable of radio/wireless trigger with a k-3?

Hopefully it gets here soon!
01-04-2016, 03:04 PM   #9

They should work on K3. Work fine on my K30.
01-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #10
ADN

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffw Quote
They should work on K3. Work fine on my K30.
Is that with the 603IIC transmitter or without? Due to a typo I forgot to specify that I meant the just the YN560 flash itself being capable of wireless or radio(preferably) triggering
01-06-2016, 07:33 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by ADN Quote
Is that with the 603IIC transmitter or without? Due to a typo I forgot to specify that I meant the just the YN560 flash itself being capable of wireless or radio(preferably) triggering
ADN, the K-3 won't trigger the YN 560 IV on its own. You'll need a 603N II (or another YN trigger) on the K-3 to fire the YN 560 IV off-camera. I'[ve got 603N II and it works and will wake up a sleeping YN 560 IV. I've heard the C version won't do that.

If you want to trigger other (non YN560 III or IV) flashes off-camera, you'll need an additional YN603N II for each additional flash -- you need one for the camera in TX mode and additional ones in RX mode attached to each flash. You don't need to add a YN 603N II to the YN 560 IV because it has a built in receiver.

If you mount the YN 560 IV on-camera, it can trigger other YN 560 III or IV off camera as it has a built-in transmitter.

The YN 560 TX mounted on the camera also allows you to control the zoom and power setting of YN 560 III or IV from the camera.

Last edited by T Evergreen; 01-06-2016 at 07:35 AM. Reason: adding additional information
01-06-2016, 01:14 PM   #12

Yes with the 603II triggers. I'll check to see if they wake up a sleeping 560IV. So far all functions working fine.
01-10-2016, 12:33 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Hi guys. Has anyone tried the yongnou 460II on a k-3II? I have a 560II and it can't be mounted on the k-3II because of the GPS hump. I just want to be sure the 460II works on the K-3II. Thanks, I hope you can help.
01-10-2016, 11:11 AM   #14

Something like this should allow you to raise the flash sufficiently to avoid the hump -- Seagull SC 2 Flash Hot Shoe Convert Adapter with PC Sync Socket | eBay
01-12-2016, 01:19 AM   #15

I use the YN-560TX to trigger & adjust power levels and zoom. They make a "for Canon" and "for Nikon" version, the only difference is the flash wake-up feature. Or so I've read somewhere. I ordered the "for Nikon" version and it works just fine on my K-50. Costs 45 bucks from B&H.