Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2015, 09:18 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
White Balance Temp ?

What in camera W/B setting should I use in a headshot with off camera flash? (K5IIs)

Thinking around the 5,200K area (Daylight)

Thank you

Brian

12-31-2015, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Storm Chaser Quote
What in camera W/B setting should I use in a headshot with off camera flash? (K5IIs)

Thinking around the 5,200K area (Daylight)

Thank you

Brian
You should use custom white balance, set by using a white balance card in the lighting you intend to use on the subject.
12-31-2015, 10:24 AM   #3

Original Poster
Have read about custom W/B but have never done it.Looking at operating manual, will give it a shot.

Thanks

Brian
12-31-2015, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Agree with #2. But another approach: What is your key light? Is the flash being used as the key or as a fill for shadows? What is your contrast ratio between the flash and the ambient light? Are you trying to get correct flesh tone from the flash or the ambient fill light? Is the off camera flash directed at the subject, or bounced or filtered?

One example: If you're shooting in the forest and there is a lot of ambient greens and blues in the shaded area of the face. If you custom WB for that, the flash side will have a magenta or yellow tint. But if you WB for the flash (where the ambient light will have very little effect), then your shadow areas will be on the green/blue/cyan side.

If you've got the time, I'd experiment with all of the above. I end up doing a lot of PP with RAW files and in many cases selectively altering color temperature to my liking. If you don't or can't PP, then even try various jpeg settings.

12-31-2015, 12:09 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Resident fiddler
Loyal Site Supporter

Also take this into consideration:
WB can be corrected both in-camera and in PP, but it's always a global WB...
if you're trying to get a specific WB for the subject and the background, the best way is to use gels on your lights.
12-31-2015, 12:57 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Agree with #2. But another approach: What is your key light? Is the flash being used as the key or as a fill for shadows? What is your contrast ratio between the flash and the ambient light? Are you trying to get correct flesh tone from the flash or the ambient fill light? Is the off camera flash directed at the subject, or bounced or filtered?

One example: If you're shooting in the forest and there is a lot of ambient greens and blues in the shaded area of the face. If you custom WB for that, the flash side will have a magenta or yellow tint. But if you WB for the flash (where the ambient light will have very little effect), then your shadow areas will be on the green/blue/cyan side.

If you've got the time, I'd experiment with all of the above. I end up doing a lot of PP with RAW files and in many cases selectively altering color temperature to my liking. If you don't or can't PP, then even try various jpeg settings.
This is really out of my league, not sure how to figure ratios flash and ambient light? I will be shooting a headshot with white backdrop, two flash heads threw umbrellas at drop.
With flash with modifier as key straight on subject, with large bounce under the face is where I will start.

Thanks for the suggestions

---------- Post added 12-31-15 at 02:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Also take this into consideration:
WB can be corrected both in-camera and in PP, but it's always a global WB...
if you're trying to get a specific WB for the subject and the background, the best way is to use gels on your lights.
LensBeginner

Need to get a set of gels, and work with them. For now in camera W/B and try custom with white card.

Thanks
12-31-2015, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Storm Chaser Quote
This is really out of my league, not sure how to figure ratios flash and ambient light? I will be shooting a headshot with white backdrop, two flash heads threw umbrellas at drop.
With flash with modifier as key straight on subject, with large bounce under the face is where I will start.

Thanks for the suggestions
If you go with on axis light, I'd suggest a straight on shot. Symmetry will be your friend. Like this shot -- same setup you are describing but with the background lit to white.

You could also move the light to one side about 30 degrees and have the subject turn that way, or the opposite, for some nice shots.

The background won't be white unless you light it to be white. It will be a nice light gray, though.
12-31-2015, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Nice portraits, beautifully lit! Sounds like the OP is only using flash illumination, no ambient .... ? In that case is a simple Flash WB pre-set with a little plus amber an easy solution?

12-31-2015, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Nice portraits, beautifully lit! Sounds like the OP is only using flash illumination, no ambient .... ? In that case is a simple Flash WB pre-set with a little plus amber an easy solution?
True. But umbrella bounce can change the color temperature of the flash. And of course, if shooting monochrome, WB is not an issue. Ultimately PP will correct and fine tune the WB.