Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-08-2016, 11:57 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Flashgun Help

Hi guys.

im looking at buying a flashgun for my new K-S1 but hadnt really wanted to go above £50 if possible.

can anyone recommend me a flash and should I be looking for a E-TTL model and possibly up my price range ?

01-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You may be limiting yourself to 2nd hand or Manual radio triggered flashes for that sort of price. Its always best I think to first think about the type of flash photography you want to do .... what situations, subject, locations, lighting conditions etc . Could you give some more info on these sort of things and then I think it will be easier to make specific recomendations.
01-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks mcgreni. Ive had the camera less than a month and am champing at the bit to use it. This got me thinking about extending the use of the in built flash, as back in my 35mm days i used to use bounced flash and off camera a bit on my P30T.

Flash prices are a lot higher than I expected TBH and i really dont know just how much use it would get to justify the cost. I may go to £70 or £80 max unless it turns into something i decide to use a lot.
01-08-2016, 12:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you decide to buy new and want full featured Dedicated System flash (P-TTL automatic exposure, High Speed Sync, Wireless, flash head zoom etc etc) then the top Sigma model is hard to beat for value ..... its on special in the UK here ..... https://www.parkcameras.com/p/G352120P/flashguns-pentax-fit/sigma/ef-610-dg-super-pentax-fit

Otherwise you will have to go second-hand for a full featured model, such as the Metz options (52 / 58AF versions), or an older Pentax AF-360FGZ.

If you decide you only need a simple manual flash with a radio trigger then I believe the Yongnuo models are well regarded by many Pentax users, although you'd have to get specific advice on the exact ones plus the trigger to use ...I'm not familiar with the details. This recent thread here on the forum has information .... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/310912-what-a...o-flashes.html

It really comes down to how you want to shoot and what sort of automation you need .... if you need to shoot dynamically on camera, like events, parties etc and the light is changing and you're moving around, then an automatic flash is going to be more suited IMO. If you're setting up portraits or still-lifes, product shots etc under controllable conditions then a manual flash with trigger would be perfectly suited.

01-08-2016, 01:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Robinta Quote
should I be looking for a E-TTL model and possibly up my price range ?
Just FYI but I believe E-TTL is a Canon protocol and would not work on Pentax. You need P-TTL if you want it to work with Pentax.

You have a choice between buying a system flash (meaning one that works with the camera automatically using the P-TTL protocol) or a manual flash. Both have their advantages. For static situations where things do not change all that much a manual flash is perfect, IMHO. Get it set and then forget it. In a situation where the light is changing or you want to mostly forget about the flash then a system flash is usually a better choice.

Those with lots of manual flash experience can often get better results with a manual flash than a system flash, but that skill takes time and experience to develop.

In your price range you might find a number of manual options or the PENTAX AF 200FG reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database which is quite inexpensive but does have limits in its features.
01-08-2016, 01:40 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your help
01-08-2016, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

If you're not concerned with having full manual control and you're happy to let the flash run on full auto - which would be fine for many situations - it might be worth considering the Sigma EF-610 DG ST. It's a *very* powerful flash, with auto-zoom, and the head moves in just about any direction and angle you could want. Well built too, and comes with a good warranty. SRS Microsystems is doing a special deal on this at the moment for £59!!! Here: Sigma EF-610 DG ST Flash - Pentax Fit - SPECIAL! I have a free one coming as part of a Sigma lens deal I took advantage of late last year, and - having tried one - I'm so impressed with it that I'm keeping it as a backup, even though I already have a Metz 52 AF-1.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-08-2016 at 02:59 PM.
01-08-2016, 03:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
You have a choice between buying a system flash (meaning one that works with the camera automatically using the P-TTL protocol) or a manual flash. Both have their advantages.
There is a third possibility, which may offer the best performance for the buck.
This would be a Thyristor flash which makes its own automatic by using a built-in photocell. More than one generation of photogs did happily use these.

As an example, the Metz SCA flashes offered at about the end of analog shooting will work well with Pentax DSLRs, provided you use a suitable SCA adapter. This would be a SCA 3701 or SCA 3702.
You could get a strong flash with full automatic and also full manual for your price range.

And with these adapters, communication between flash and body works well, including 2nd curtain. If the flash has a motor zoom, this will set itself to the correct zoom position (provided you use a lens which tells the body the zoom position). Metz flashes from the MZ40 upwards will also automatically know about aperture and ISO set on the camera.
Till today, I prefer the flash automatic, p-TTL seems to get not as consistent results.

Sadly, many of the newer flashes (including Metz and Pentax) do not offer the "A" setting anymore
01-08-2016, 07:50 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or... you can get a used Pentax AF-280T flash unit, set your camera to a fixed ISO value, turn off Finder A.Check, dial the same fixed ISO as the one you have in your camera and set it to one of the Two-Level Auto Flash operation modes, Robinta. Enjoy.