Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2016, 11:04 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some flash units that have provision for external batteries use the external battery to only charge the flash capacitor, and need batteries in the battery compartment to run the flash electronics. Since the OP is making his connections to the AF360FG's internal battery connections, he is powering the cap and the electronics with his external battery. The flash will not know the difference. Great idea, good way to extend the life of a damaged flash unit! I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks when finished!

01-10-2016, 11:44 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
MJS, I would comment that the AF360 was already top heavy, putting strain on the hotshoe of both the camera and the flash. Now yours is more so. Do you have a flash grip?
wombat2go makes an excellent point -- the battery can go anywhere -- including on your belt or shirt pocket or even on the camera strap. Further, I won't be limited to AA cells: most any 6v power supply will work including SLAs. For "strobist" work I will likely use an SLA with a splitter and pair the two (or more) AF360s together.

Michael
01-11-2016, 01:11 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The problem with using battery packs with pentax flash units is that you still need batteries in the flash unit itself for it to work in the first place.
This applies ONLY to the use of a high-voltage external power pack (e.g. Quantum Turbo). The purposes of the high-voltage power pack are (1) shorten the cycle time and (2) minimize or eliminate the need to change batteries. Some flash units, especially ones with LCD display (e.g. Pentax AF540FGZ first version), still need low voltage from the internal batteries for the display/camera interface. Others (e.g. Sunpak 444D or Metz 45CT-4) don't. Note that to use high-voltage power pack, the flash has to have an input port for such. I don't think the Pentax 360FGZ does.

The OP is adapting the flash to use with a low-voltage external power pack. In this case, the flash doesn't know and doesn't care where the voltage supply comes from.

Side note: Pentax/Ricoh eliminated the high-voltage input port in the current version of the 540 flash. What a shame.

---------- Post added 01-11-2016 at 12:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote

Originally posted by Digitalis:
>> I recall reading in the flash manual for the AF540FGZ that you still need batteries in the compartment to use it with external battery packs. I assumed the AF360FGZ would be the same.

The user manual for my Sunpak DX8R ring flash does say that, too, but I assume that's when one has an external pack that isn't wired to completely replace the internal pack.
This is true. But the low-voltage from internal batteries of the Sunpak is used to power ONLY the interface with the camera (as in TTL mode). If you use the DX8R in manual or auto thryristor mode, the internal batteries are not needed.

Lifted from the manual: "Even when your auto DX 8R is used with external power sources, always store batteries inside for dedicated function. Your auto DX 8R is not interfaced to the camera without internal batteries."

Last edited by SOldBear; 01-11-2016 at 01:27 PM.
01-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
nice mod!
I have experienced the battery door problem and for one of my AF540 flashes, did a door fix with Legos. Thread here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/62-do-yourself/296343-flash-door-diy-repa...g-legos-2.html

01-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Pentax/Ricoh eliminated the high-voltage input port in the current version of the 540 flash. What a shame.
This is why I kept my old AF540FGZ, also the battery door on it is made of tougher plastic than the current model. But now I use the Godox AD180 and AD360 and they are head and shoulders above anything else in terms of battery life and build quality. The AD180 can fire off 960 flashes at full 1:1 power, try getting anywhere near that with a AA powered flash.
01-12-2016, 03:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The problem with using battery packs with pentax flash units is that you still need batteries in the flash unit itself for it to work in the first place.
Whilst this is true for the fgz540 , Because the TR3 provides 330v for fast recycling to the capacitor not the 5v the control circuits require it is not true for the mod the OP proposes

Replacing the internal 6v batteries with external 6v power source by tapping the 6v in on the cct board will have no adverse effect on functionality nor require the internal batteries fitted.

As an aside I 'fixed' my broken door by using a plastic screw through the door into the case , it rock solid but you need a screwdriver to change batteries.

---------- Post added 12-01-16 at 10:59 AM ----------

This is why I kept my old AF540FGZ, also the battery door on it is made of tougher plastic than the current model. But now I use the Godox AD180 and AD360 and they are head and shoulders above anything else in terms of battery life and build quality. The AD180 can fire off 960 flashes at full 1:1 power, try getting anywhere near that with a AA powered flash.
You can power the fgz540 off a godox PSU (lead needed but both 330v) and as it delivers less power than the AD units you'd get considerably more than 960 1:1 flashes.

Dont see the point but true anyway.
01-23-2016, 12:54 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
here's what the completed mod looks like

Here's what the completed mod looks like:

Now on to the 2nd flash...

Michael

P.S. I showed the battery door open just to emphasize that all power is coming from the remote battery pack

01-23-2016, 01:17 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Here's what the completed mod looks like:

Now on to the 2nd flash...

Michael

P.S. I showed the battery door open just to emphasize that all power is coming from the remote battery pack
Love it!

Any plans to make the cord longer so you could move the batteries off camera?
01-23-2016, 01:19 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Love it! Any plans to make the cord longer so you could move the batteries off camera?
oh yes, adding extension cords will be easy. Just need to use a heavier gauge.

Michael
01-24-2016, 04:33 AM   #25

Horrible looks! I love it . Got two of these units, one with problems with the battery door and another which is intact. Now off to 3d printing design table...
01-24-2016, 05:33 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Whilst this is true for the fgz540 , Because the TR3 provides 330v for fast recycling to the capacitor not the 5v the control circuits require it is not true for the mod the OP proposes

You can power the fgz540 off a godox PSU (lead needed but both 330v)
Care to provide more details on what would exactly be needed for this? Is there somewhere a connector available, as I believe none of the GODOX cables from GODOX PHOTO EQUIPMENT CO.,LTD work with fgz540 (or af-500 ftz which would be the case of my interest).
01-24-2016, 10:36 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
one of the unstated benefits of a battery pack that is hanging on your belt or in your pocket -- the unit is practically weightless without all those batteries, making handling the camera/flash bundle much easier.

M
01-25-2016, 01:52 AM   #28
Veteran Member

i know this is OT but an this concept be modified for the Pentax Q?
01-25-2016, 07:21 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
i know this is OT but an this concept be modified for the Pentax Q?
I would say that pretty much any flash can be modified to accept external power -- trouble is, some of these units have very little room inside and there is always the possibility that you open it up only to not be able to put it back together. Worse, if you don't know what you are doing you could get a severe shock from the internal capacitor or alternatively break something internal. So yes, it is possible. But you might want to consider a "dummy battery" solution instead (google it).

Michael
07-10-2016, 10:45 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by ppohja Quote
Care to provide more details on what would exactly be needed for this? Is there somewhere a connector available, as I believe none of the GODOX cables from GODOX PHOTO EQUIPMENT CO.,LTD work with fgz540 (or af-500 ftz which would be the case of my interest).
Happened to stumble upon the understanding that the Godox output connector is just the same as Quantum Turbo output. Thus the cable JJC QTS-4 is ought to be the right one.

Let's see, I just ordered two, I'll let you know when I get the chance to test it.

Hey but you're me from the history asking this question!