Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2016, 05:41 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Modifying a Pentax AF360FGZ

I just picked up a pair of Pentax AF360FGZ flashes for a decent price here on PentaxForums from IRussell. The price was low because neither of them were usable due to the ubiquitous battery door problem (if you are not familiar with this "feature" of the AF360FGZ, do a search on this forum).

Anyway, I took a chance that I could modify them to accept an external 6v power supply, thereby bypassing the battery door issue altogether. Searching the web I came up with very little about repairing a AF360FGZ nor could I find exploded diagrams nor wiring diagrams. So I set about this afternoon trying to figure out how these puppies were constructed. With a little fiddling around (and a bit of difficulty since the first one I chose to experiment on just so happened to have been "glued" together -- something which I assume was due to a previous repair) I was able to take apart the first AF360FGZ unit. The attached photo shows the relationships of all the primary components. I determined that the only "free" space within the unit was beneath the AF spotbeam emitter. This is where I will add a 5.5mm x 2.1mm female power socket. Once these arrive from China I will complete the mod and let you know how it works. In the meantime, I am posting it here on the assumption there is likely some interest in this mod.

Comments welcomed.

Michael

01-09-2016, 05:56 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one of these and it is working just fine right now. But I will be watching for your results since I could possibly be needing this modification in the future. Thanks!
01-09-2016, 06:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The problem with using battery packs with pentax flash units is that you still need batteries in the flash unit itself for it to work in the first place.
01-09-2016, 07:50 PM   #4
mee
Veteran Member

Be careful not to touch the capacitors on this AF360 flash if you haven't safely discharged them.. if you touch them, they will discharge into your fingers and it will HURT. It only takes one lapse of focus to be over. I know from personal experience.

01-09-2016, 07:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The problem with using battery packs with pentax flash units is that you still need batteries in the flash unit itself for it to work in the first place.
Why is this?
01-09-2016, 08:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I guess we'll see if my soldering skills can fix that or not! :P

M

---------- Post added 01-09-16 at 10:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Be careful not to touch the capacitors on this AF360 flash if you haven't safely discharged them.. if you touch them, they will discharge into your fingers and it will HURT. It only takes one lapse of focus to be over. I know from personal experience.
Yeah, I see where they are. Measuring 230v DC using my multimeter. Nicely designed unit inside -- you would really need to go out of your way to touch anything live.

Michael

---------- Post added 01-09-16 at 10:36 PM ----------

for those concerned that "hot-wiring" a AF360FGZ won't work, I just verified it using my mod as shown and it flashes just fine without batteries in the body. Looks like a go!

Stay tuned for more...

Michael

Last edited by MJSfoto1956; 01-09-2016 at 08:44 PM.
01-09-2016, 09:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Now, can you fix my AF080C? https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/311022-wanted...c-diagram.html

01-09-2016, 09:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recall reading in the flash manual for the AF540FGZ that you still need batteries in the compartment to use it with external battery packs. I assumed the AF360FGZ would be the same.
01-10-2016, 12:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recall reading in the flash manual for the AF540FGZ that you still need batteries in the compartment to use it with external battery packs. I assumed the AF360FGZ would be the same.
That was a very reasonable assumption. I have an AF360FGZ and I have so far had no issues with the battery door. But I am always very careful with it as I thought that it was a rather strange design from the first time I saw it. It gets less use nowadays as I have purchased a Metz mecablitz 52 AF-1.
01-10-2016, 12:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The user manual for my Sunpak DX8R ring flash does say that, too, but I assume that's when one has an external pack that isn't wired to completely replace the internal pack.
01-10-2016, 01:12 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It may be hard to touch the contacts on the capacitor itself but they are generally soldered onto a circuit board that moves that power elsewhere. The "scary" wires are generally thicker than the other wires used. Commonly one red and one black. Just saying.......
01-10-2016, 01:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
IThe "scary" wires are generally thicker than the other wires used. Commonly one red and one black. Just saying.......
Not necessarily. This is the AF080C flash capacitor, three wires, all thin. The red and black do connect directly to the capacitor, the orange is via the series inductor to the positive.

01-10-2016, 07:37 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the OP is planning on changing the wiring so this is no longer an issue?

This is super great, I love seeing electronics hacks!!!
01-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's what the unit will look like when all assembled. Again, I have confirmed that the AF360FGZ wired as shown in my previous image does not need batteries in the compartment to work.

01-10-2016, 10:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

What exactly fails in the battery doors?
I have both the AF400FTZ and the AF360FGZ, both with flimsy doors and i am careful after reading the problems on PF.
Bu what part of the door fails?

MJS, I would comment that the AF360 was already top heavy, putting strain on the hotshoe of both the camera and the flash.
Now yours is more so.
Do you have a flash grip?