Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2016, 10:47 AM   #1
Pentaxian

DIY solutions for video lighting?

Hello everyone,

I'm really only used to working with natural light in photography so lighting equipment is not really my forte. I was wondering what DIY solutions I could use for video? Just basic fill lighting really to make me stand out from the background. This will be for basic vlogging on youtube, nothing fancy, so I don't really want to invest too much money into this.

01-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you just going to be sitting at your computer? If so, you could add a daylight-balanced florescent light. If you only want to buy one, put it on top of your monitor. If you can buy two, put them on either side of the monitor.
01-10-2016, 11:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Are you just going to be sitting at your computer? If so, you could add a daylight-balanced florescent light. If you only want to buy one, put it on top of your monitor. If you can buy two, put them on either side of the monitor.
Not a bad idea, I'd just need to find something that could fit on my monitor/desk. I could also use LED bulbs too since those are pretty cheap nowadays and won't be a disaster if they break on my desk.
01-10-2016, 11:46 AM   #4
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Easy setup, designed to make you stand out from the background, is a three-point lighting setup. Google examples of this, its not that complicated. Full Sail University has a nice video on it:

For DIY lighting, i'd suggest picking up some can/clamp lights at home depot, and some bulbs for that. You can diffuse the lighting easily using parchment paper over the cans, or bounce it off a wall for a softer light. Again, Full sail video, going over DIY video lighting:
But there are many examples online about three point lighting and DIY lighting using Can lights - its the go to DIY lighting for most videographers. Film Riot, Frugal Filmmaker, Indy Mogul - they'll all have some videos on it.