Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2016, 09:56 PM   #1

Inexpensive Light Ring?

Does anyone have any suggestions on an inexpensive light ring flash? I have a Pentax K-3 II & am looking at using a light ring for portraits here & there. I am not a flash user 99% of the time, so I don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

01-18-2016, 10:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The cheaper they are, the less they are worth it IMO.

Portraiture with ring flash requires a substantial amount of power - most portable ring flash units are designed for close up work, and thus are poorly suited to portraiture.
01-18-2016, 11:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will also be one of those who will not recommend one. Get a cheap flash like a yongnuo. They are more powerful and versatile to use than and cheap flash ring.

I have one of those cheap flash rings and I dont use it for anything. The only thing I might use it for is if I am shooting a dark environment I mount it to help my lens focus well.
01-19-2016, 02:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Look up Godox ring flash on ebay. It's the real deal in that its a flash and not LEDs. I have an LED ring flash and it's only good as a fill light on a dull day and irrelevant in moderate light. I Haven't used the Godox ring flash, but i have a couple of their big flash guns. The Godox ring flash is manual. I have a Sigma 'ring flash' and it's useless on auto so I only ever use it on manual. More recently I use a standard godox flash with the white card pulled out and at around 30 degree angle and nail my insect and small creature shots all the time. The sigma ring flash stays at home as it takes up a lot of space.

01-19-2016, 02:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I'm using RoundFlash Black Magic softbox on mine strobe and it works very nice. Of course its not the same as full ring flash but its very versatile. RoundFlash? quality light on location.
01-19-2016, 06:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'd say go with a Yongnuo 560 III or IV or something similarly powerful and inexpensive.. You can then add something like this Ring Flash O Flash FOR Canon 550EX 580EX 5D Mark II | eBay. I haven't tried it yet, but its on my list.
01-19-2016, 07:06 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Like other posters above, I use a ring flash light "softbox" modifier on a FGZ360. It works very well for portraits. And it's much cheaper than a real flash.
01-19-2016, 07:17 AM   #8

The roundflash is very good, or if you're willing to spend more the rayflash is even better.
I use my Rayflash with a Yongnuo YN560III since it sits on my camera and I don't need remote control like the rest of my gear.
The Godox is a lovely piece of gear,but pricey if you're not really into flash photography.

My suggestion would be the roundflash with an inexpensive Yongnuo just to start playing with something decent without braking the bank.
Don't bother with the chinese O-flash, they're crap.

01-19-2016, 07:35 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I tried both-and rayflash gives a lot more harsh uneven light ,and it is mounted on the flash head in way that I dont like- it was not stable on my YN560's. On plus for round flash its that it gives a very very big source of circular light, that off camera works as normal softnox-I do use it alot that way as speed setup softbox for my strobes, folded it fits in jacket pocket. This picture was done with roundflash off the hotshoe at very low flash power https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/project_modules/max_1200/2f473332257319.5676c8e4378a5.jpg
01-19-2016, 08:43 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
I tried both-and rayflash gives a lot more harsh uneven light ,and it is mounted on the flash head in way that I dont like- it was not stable on my YN560's. On plus for round flash its that it gives a very very big source of circular light, that off camera works as normal softnox-I do use it alot that way as speed setup softbox for my strobes, folded it fits in jacket pocket. This picture was done with roundflash off the hotshoe at very low flash power https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/project_modules/max_1200/2f473332257319.5676c8e4378a5.jpg
i don't know wich Rayflash you're talking about, but the new one has a very decent and fast mounting mechanism, I agree it needs a diffuser though.

Roundflash products are very nice, I have the roundflash disk and love it, great build quality,good light and fast setup.
01-19-2016, 09:27 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Neo_ this is not the one my friends owns. I did try-that one, had whole lamp head going into slot, and was gray not black, the way it holds on lamp head just sucks.And it gets very very hot just after some 15-20 shots-both mine and friends flash did turn off from overheating with that thing frequently
01-19-2016, 10:13 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
Neo_ this is not the one my friends owns. I did try-that one, had whole lamp head going into slot, and was gray not black, the way it holds on lamp head just sucks.And it gets very very hot just after some 15-20 shots-both mine and friends flash did turn off from overheating with that thing frequently
I guessed it was that one.
They completely changed the design on the rayflash II (above), many didn't love the custom holding way of the 1st one,now it's universal.

01-19-2016, 11:08 AM   #13
Pentaxian

New one looks way better and lighter-sorry to tell but the one I used felt just cheap, not realy big diffrence form that chineese crap q-flash etc , I would still go for that folding one from round flash-I like bigger light sources. And its very easy to use with strobe handle atached to your lamp-as off the camera flash. It is very usefull in tight not well lit spaces. I have very simmilar handle to that one-and it works wonders in total darkness as flash af aid(flash guide window is hidden behind the roundflash body)