Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-22-2016, 02:30 AM   #16

Original Poster
Thank you all for the suggestions.

It seems I will most likely go with the Yongnuo 560iii, it appears to be the better flash for the price, with much much more capabilities than the other contestants and I guess eventually I will be less scared of the full manual mode of operation

01-22-2016, 02:48 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rbmkn4 Quote

It seems I will most likely go with the Yongnuo 560iii, it appears to be the better flash for the price, with much much more capabilities than the other contestants and I guess eventually I will be less scared of the full manual mode of operation
Get the TX controller for it so you can set it up off-camera for various situations, too. It's cheap.
01-22-2016, 03:03 AM   #18

Original Poster
Aye that is the plan, the in-unit receiver played a signigicant part of the selection.
01-22-2016, 03:09 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rbmkn4 Quote

Good choice - trust me, manual is really easy, and very comfortable to use. Won't take you long at all to get the hang of it

01-22-2016, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that's a good choice as I suspect it has features and handling similar to my Cactus 60. Suggestion: Do some testing inside with some small object to get an Idea of what manual setting to use for a given ISO, aperture and flash distance, i.e., for a dragonfly-sized subject, ISO 200, F8, is the setting closer to 1/8 or 1/32 (probably the latter)
01-22-2016, 08:07 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Get the TX controller for it so you can set it up off-camera for various situations, too. It's cheap.
Note that if you don't need to remotely control power, another option is the RF-603NII, which is smaller and even cheaper. Works flawlessly for me with the YN-560III on the K-3... (EDIT: another thing to remember is that apparently the 560III or IV can not physically fit in the hotshoe of the K-3ii, though they should be fine for off-camera operation.)