Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2016, 12:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thoughts on AlienBees B800?

I am playing to build a studio, I am going to need a main light, hair light, background light, and fill light. So I need a total of 3 strobes. I am in the look for a strobe that is $300 max per one strobe. I want to try to find the best for my bucks. Are AlienBees 800 legit?

02-08-2016, 12:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't own any strobes from Buff, but yes, they are legit. I do use Buff's radio triggers, and they are great. Plus Buff is known for excellent customer service.

If I ever decide to buy studio strobes I'll be buying either the B800s or the Einsteins. Right now I'm not convinced I need anything more than speedlights for the shooting I do.

BTW, I counted 4 lights.
02-08-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
I don't own any strobes from Buff, but yes, they are legit. I do use Buff's radio triggers, and they are great. Plus Buff is known for excellent customer service.

BTW, I counted 4 lights.
Thanks mate! I will look into Buff for triggers since I haven't gotten a set yet. Also the fill light is going to be used by those big oval reflectors. saying "big oval" to not confuse with the reflectors attached to strobes.
02-08-2016, 12:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one AlienBees 1600 and I love it. And, they have some of the best CS in Photography that I've dealt with for 6 yrs

02-08-2016, 12:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have (2) B400s and (2) B800 strobes. They are fine and get the job done. What I feel is very important about studio strobes is what light modifiers are available for the system. You want a system with lots of light modifier options because that is what it's all about. And there is a good choice with AlienBee strobes.

I highly recommend getting these light modifiers from the start in addition to the usual soft boxes/umbrellas :

1) The Spotlight Grid Kit from 10 deg to 40 deg that fits the standard 7-inch reflector that comes with them.

2) Background Reflector modifier plus a small stand for it. Makes for nice backdrop lighting.
02-08-2016, 01:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I own one. There's a slider on the back that let's you tone down the flash output. It will also dim the incandescent "modelling" lamp so you can see your changes in action. Alas, I never used this feature, and when I tried it out, it was broken. And past the warranty date. This lamp was never mistreated nor dropped nor anything. The company will fix it for $40, but I never did have it fixed - I believe it was broke from the day I bought it. Be sure you test out the lights thoroughly. I feel like I'm stuck with a partly working light that was broken from day 1.

YMMV
02-08-2016, 04:27 PM   #7

The Paul Buff equipment is great. I own two B800's, one B400 and three of the Einsteins. If you can swing the price, I'd recommend going with the Einsteins and the Cybersync system. You can generally find them on Craigslist for around $400 each. Just being able to control all of the lights from the trigger is worth the extra expense (especially if you put any lights up high).

03-02-2016, 10:52 PM   #8

One more vote here for Buff.

I currently use Einsteins, have used Alien Bees, White Lightning Ultra series, all the way back to the WL 5,000 and 10,000 from the 80s. By far the best bang for your buck in the industry.

The only reasons I can think of not to go with Buffs products would be if you live outside the USA or have a need for some extremely unusual feature that they don't offer.
03-09-2016, 08:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I am playing to build a studio, I am going to need a main light, hair light, background light, and fill light. So I need a total of 3 strobes. I am in the look for a strobe that is $300 max per one strobe. I want to try to find the best for my bucks. Are AlienBees 800 legit?
I live in Nashville so obviously I get great customer service form them. I use to live 3 miles from their office. I currently have all Einsteins, but I have used Bees and Lightnings many, many times over the years. Awesome customer service and the value for the money is probably the best in all of the photography industry. Its not just their lights, but they have some of the best made modifiers in the business. They don't have the huge selection of some brands, but their softboxes and parabolic modifiers are very well made and also a steal compared to other brands.