Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2016, 03:37 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Using Modern Speedlites on Pentax Honeywell Spotmatic

Hello everyone, this may be a repeated question, but I have a question about using my modern speedlites with my Pentax Honeywell Spotmatic Camera. I absolutely love using this camera and I have looked online and know that I need to get a PC to Hotshoe adapter. What I am concern about is what size of the pc adapter do I need to get for my Spotmatic or are they universal? Second I have the following speedlites (Canon 430 EXii, Yongnuo YN 560II and a Neewer Neewer TT560) I also have a set of Yongnuo flash triggers. So What PC Sync cable do I need to find or for that matter what PC to Hoteshoe adapter do I need to have the ability to start using my speedlites on my Pentax camera if it is possible? Again I apologize if I have repeated a question again.

02-08-2016, 04:09 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Your Spotmatic is very generic in regards to flash support. It was made before the days of dedicated flash. The PC connector on the camera is standard and any modern speedlight that supports a PC cable can be used. If your flash or triggers require a hot shoe (no socket for cabled sync), there are adapters that fit between the flash foot and a cold shoe. There are no voltage requirements or restrictions. Any electronic flash capable of manual operation will work as will most bulb-type flash guns. Use the X terminal for all but (very rare now) FP type flash bulbs.

I am assuming that your Spotmatic has no flash shoe. If that is the case, you will also need a mount for the flash. Pentax sold an accessory shoe that slips on over the viewfinder eyepiece. I have used them and they don't work very well and tend to slip off the camera. I would suggest a flash bracket of the type that attaches via the tripod socket Many of these also have a handle. That is what I currently use.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Flash-Brackets/ci/653/N/4168864826

Steve
02-08-2016, 05:48 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
...in addition...I just looked at your list of flashes and while I am fairly confident that the camera will be able to fire your Yongnuo (with cable) and Neewer devices (with cable/shoe adapter), I am not quite as confident in regards to your Canon flash. It is not unusual for dedicated flashes to not fire when mated to cameras other than those they were made for.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-08-2016 at 05:54 PM.