Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2016, 08:43 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Flash recommendations

What brand of Flash should I buy/recommend that works best with my Pentax K-50 Camera, that wont break my budget,but gives the user good value.???

02-13-2016, 08:57 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've moved your request to the proper forum. Site Suggestions is for site questions only, not flash or other questions.
02-13-2016, 08:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mega Quote
What brand of Flash should I buy/recommend that works best with my Pentax K-50 Camera, that wont break my budget,but gives the user good value.???
I see AF 540FGZ on marketplace once in awhile, but not so much for it's cheaper brother, the AF 360FGZ. Better than paying full price, but still expensive. For alternative, the only one I would recommend is a brand called Metz. Unless you do studio shots that does not require TTL , then you can go with the cheapo flashes.
02-13-2016, 11:40 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I see AF 540FGZ on marketplace once in awhile, but not so much for it's cheaper brother, the AF 360FGZ. Better than paying full price, but still expensive. For alternative, the only one I would recommend is a brand called Metz. Unless you do studio shots that does not require TTL , then you can go with the cheapo flashes.
Thanks for your response this helps me a lot.I appreciate your feedback.

---------- Post added 02-14-16 at 12:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I've moved your request to the proper forum. Site Suggestions is for site questions only, not flash or other questions.
Since I quite new to this site... which venue do I use for posting a question in the future?? Would not want to make any more errors.

02-14-2016, 01:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your K-50 works with P-TTL but will not work with TTL. Another (much less expensive) option is "Auto Flash". The flash itself measures and sets the duration rather than going through the lens. The Pentax AF280T can be had for about $20 - $40 used. It is a little less powerful (than the FGZ models) and you must assure that your aperture is set correctly. I have used it with good results on both film and DSLR Pentax cameras. It offers tilt and swivel for bounce options. Of course you can always purchase the latest P-TTL FGZ models at about 10 times the cost. One positive aspect of "Auto Flash" is there's no annoying pre-flash.
02-14-2016, 06:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Currently there's an AF 540fgz in the Market Place for a decent price. There are quite a few options available at various pricing. It depends on what it is you want your flash photography to be capable of, on camera and off, then obtaining the correct equipment to do what you want to be able to achieve. There is a lot more to flash photography then just buying a flash.
02-16-2016, 06:20 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Currently there's an AF 540fgz in the Market Place for a decent price. There are quite a few options available at various pricing. It depends on what it is you want your flash photography to be capable of, on camera and off, then obtaining the correct equipment to do what you want to be able to achieve. There is a lot more to flash photography then just buying a flash.
Not to be snoootty but I realize there is more to flash photography than just buying the flash.

02-16-2016, 07:03 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Sigma and Metz both do P-TTL models if you don't want to pay for the 'real thing'.

If you want two, three or more manual flashes for off camera use with radio control you might as well go Yongnuo.