Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2016, 01:42 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax DSLR flash options overview table

Hi,

here one more collection for those who care about hotshoe flashes:

It lists all (known to me) currently available as new flashes for Pentax DSLRs with their key features plus a selection of used flashes which have been recommended to me (usually old automatic* flashes for bargain prices). The list focusses on Pentax dedicated flash equipment obviously.

Full size for non-flickr-account holders: https://www.flickr.com/photos/karlknipser/24389244793/sizes/o/

Please note the Witstro GN are for a 28mm reflector, not 50mm as for all the rest, so in a fair comparison they are even more powerful than suggested here.

*=they do their own exposure metering, so don't have to be fully set manually (without PTTL support and automatic metering that would be the case and can be painful)

and then there is a quick overview of options to use flashes off the camera:

Full size for non-flickr-account holders: https://www.flickr.com/photos/karlknipser/24898053342/sizes/o/

None of the lists are 100% complete or aim to be. Detail infos can be found on many sites/forum including this one using a search engine of preference.

Last edited by beholder3; 02-14-2016 at 04:25 AM.
02-14-2016, 02:01 AM   #2
Forum Member

Nice overview, thanks
02-14-2016, 02:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
you have made a small error- the AD180/AD360 have a metal flash foot*. They also do not have a quick release foot, they still have the irritatingly fiddly screw down ring.Also, the AD180/360 do support HSS, just not with Pentax at the moment.

They also have a 3.5mm jack for receiving sync signals, an increasing number of triggers are using that interface. The number of flashes that support the 3.5mm jack connection will be of interest to prospective buyers.

* The wireless transmitters also have a metal flash foot.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-16-2016 at 07:43 PM.
02-14-2016, 02:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
AD180/360 do support HSS, just not with Pentax at the moment.
This is NOT making me happy

02-14-2016, 04:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
you have made a small error- the AD180/AD360 have a metal flash foot*. They also do not have a quick release foot, they still have the irritatingly fiddly screw down ring.
Thanks for the info. I'll update that later.

Also, the AD180/360 do support HSS, just not with Pentax at the moment.
For the interest of Pentax users, I'll keep the entry as is until they are offered for PTTL-HSS. I think this makes sense here.

If anyone ever finds a reliable source of info on the guide numbers of the Godox V850 - that is GN at different zoom settings, i'd be interested as I couldnt find any. A GN without zoom setting is mostly worthless.
02-14-2016, 05:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Another excellent resource for Pentax flash users .... Many thanks for creating your nicely presented tables.
02-16-2016, 03:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Great overview, thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
The list focusses on Pentax dedicated flash equipment obviously.
I don't see how it does as you include a lot of flash equipment that is not Pentax-dedicated (e.g., from Yongnuo and Godox).

I encourage you to include the Cactus RF60 in your list. It works with Pentax cameras just as well as Yongnuo or Godox equipment but has the unique advantage of supporting manual HSS.

Through a couple of optical triggering techniques (requiring one HSS-capable flash) or with a workaround (not requiring any P-TTL equipment at all), it is thus possible to do off-camera HSS photography with a Pentax without breaking the bank.

BTW, the Cactus V6 supports "HSS" just as well as "SuperSync". Both are not supported as native P-TTL subfunctions but one can achieve the same effect (with some manual settings). In the same vein, the Cactus V6 also supports achieving the effect of second-curtain sync. Again, not as a native P-TTL subfunction, but through the option of using manual delay settings.

02-03-2017, 12:34 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have updated the table on flickr to include the new Shanny and Yongnuo P-TTL flashes.
02-03-2017, 02:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks for the updated table! Those new Shanny and Yongnuo options bring some welcome refreshment !
02-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I have updated the table on flickr to include the new Shanny and Yongnuo P-TTL flashes.
Your table is missing five current P-TTL flashes:

- the excellent Pentax AF160 FC P-TTL macro/ring flash (which seems to have recently become unavailable, but may still be available in some stores);

- the Sigma EM-140 DG TTL Macro Ringlight Flash for Pentax P-TTL;

- the Metz Mecablitz 15 MS-1 Macro Ringlight, which supports P-TTL;

- the Metz Mecablitz 26-AF2 P-TTL;

- the new Metz Mecabitz M400 P-TTL.

All (except possibly the AF 160 FC) can be bought today from most online retailers like B&H.
02-03-2017, 07:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Cactus RF60X is a nice flash.
02-04-2017, 03:53 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I added the two missing Metz flashes. For now I do not intend to add specialty flashes such as ring-flashes or macro flashes.

If anyone feels something is really missing: the prerequisite is to have a post here with each and every column in the spreadsheet answered, so I do not have to look it up for you. I will not add incomplete items.