Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2016, 07:38 PM   #1

Rear curtain sync HELP!

Hi, I've been trying to play around with rear curtain sync or trailing curtain, etc! I can't get it to work.. at all!

Setup: K3 and AF540FGZ with Cactus V6 Triggers.

I believe I couldn't get my K5 to work either which is why I feel its me!
I've tried it with the settings on camera to rear curtain. I tried it with the flash on rear curtain and I've tried it with both set to rear curtain with nothing working.
I also tried the popup flash on camera and it works but it also fires a preflash which defeats the purpose again!

Please send help!!!

Ramboner

02-15-2016, 08:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you in P-TTL mode with a shutter below 1/90th?
02-15-2016, 08:41 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use rear curtain sync at times and never had any problems. But I had to revisit to see if it was really a problem.
And yes it appears to be a problem seemingly. It DOES preflash.
BUT the shutter isn't/wasn't opened just yet. So that preflash is a moot point but is confusing. The rear curtain sync works as expected.
Here is how I verified.
I put 2 objects on the table pre-focused and turned the lights off. Used a very low shutter speed 6sec, set camera and the flash both (yes both) to rear curtain sync and Clicked.. and it preflashed like you said. While the exposure was still on I removed one of the objects right after (it was pitch dark and my hand did not show up) and let the exposure finish after 6 sec at which the rear curtain flash popped agaun as expected. After the exposure was complete I checked the image and I only saw one of the two objects that I did not remove. Had it been the preflash contributed to the exposure I should have seen both the objects (the one removed being ghostly but still present due to the preflash exposure).
It seems the shutter isn't opened at that preflash and hence it did nothing to the final exposure with the rear curtain.
Pros.. please validate this for me if you can and let us know what you experience.
02-15-2016, 08:49 PM   #4

Original Poster
yes it was in P-TTL. I was at 1/2 second. What settings should I be at, and are there custom settings I should change?
Shardulm, I dont get the preflash with the off camera it was only with the popup. I also tried 5 seconds and it still only flashed at the beginning of the shutter, no rear curtain.
On screen on my flash it always shows -Flash then first curtain solid arrow- no matter what setting I set it to, HS or whatever.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Ramboner; 02-15-2016 at 09:00 PM.
02-16-2016, 12:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You said in the first post you were using K3, AF-540 and Cactus triggers ... ? Could you elaborate on this as the triggers will cause the flash to be manual mode only, so I can't see that 2nd curtain sync would work with them (only a manually set delay technique may be possible) ....

Also the camera flash mode (set on the camera) only applies to the built-in flash ... With a flash gun it has to be set on the flash itself.
02-16-2016, 02:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ramboner Quote
Hi, I've been trying to play around with rear curtain sync or trailing curtain, etc! I can't get it to work.. at all!
Note that rear-curtain sync will only work in conjunction with the Cactus V6, if you activate the TTL pass-through option on the V6 and use the flash on top of the on-camera V6.

The V6 are not "P-TTL over radio" triggers and since Pentax made rear-curtain sync a P-TTL feature, you won't get native rear-curtain support when using the V6.

However, you can use a manual delay on the V6 (on either the transmitting V6 or on the receiving V6) to achieve a rear-curtain effect. You will have to roughly set the shutter speed minus the sync-speed (1/180s) as a delay in milliseconds, e.g., 1/30s becomes 27ms, so that the flash is delayed until the rear-curtain is about to move.
02-16-2016, 07:20 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the help, I'll play some more with this.. any idea how to manual delay the triggers? I'll research that as well!

Is there a chart or simple equation to figuring out how many milliseconds needed per shutter speed used?

Last edited by Ramboner; 02-16-2016 at 08:02 PM.
07-28-2017, 03:28 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Thanks

I just wanted to say thanks.
Just reading all the responses has helped me with my trailing curtain question.
Damn! I'm glad to be a member here.
One day one of you will ask a question I that I can help with.