Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 10:42 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Equipment Needed For Umbrella?

Hi, I was wondering do I have all the equipment needed to have a basic off camera flash set up? I'm on a budget and what to get the costs down packed so I'm prepared. It is $300 max
As of right now, I have in mind.
60" white shoot through Umbrella.
40" silver or white reflector
Cable shutter release
Pc sync cord
two light stands, (one for reflector and one for Umbrella)
6ft tripod
As for the umbrella, what items do I need to mount the umbrella to the light stand, and then mount the flash behind the umbrella.

I'm guessing a boom shaft, and umbrella mount is all I need correct?

If I'm missing anything, let me know!

02-18-2016, 10:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Super Takumar Quote
Hi, I was wondering do I have all the equipment needed to have a basic off camera flash set up? I'm on a budget and what to get the costs down packed so I'm prepared. It is $300 max
As of right now, I have in mind.
60" white shoot through Umbrella.
40" silver or white reflector
Cable shutter release
Pc sync cord
two light stands, (one for reflector and one for Umbrella)
6ft tripod
As for the umbrella, what items do I need to mount the umbrella to the light stand, and then mount the flash behind the umbrella.

I'm guessing a boom shaft, and umbrella mount is all I need correct?

If I'm missing anything, let me know!
Midwest Photo Exchange Swivels - STROBIST®
02-18-2016, 10:58 AM   #3
Forum Member

yeah you need a part that goes on the light stand that holds either/both the flash and the umbrella. The stand by itself just has a peg on top. You can buy both as a kit or separately at various prices. Not too expensive. The bigger umbrellas need sturdier and stronger parts to hold up the weight.
02-18-2016, 11:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A 60" may be a lot of the umbrella for one speed light. you may not be able to take full advantage of the whole umbrella. Maybe a 48" might be a better solution? And you could save and get a much better quality one at that.

But you can get something called an umbrella holder/bracket. it's got a cold-shoe for the flash and a reciever for the umbrella. they work quite well.

One things for sure though, do not forget a weight or sandbag for your stand! an umbrella becomes a sail outside.

look into Cactus triggers to fire your speed light too. much better than relying on optical triggering or having a cable get in the way.

So a basic one speedlight kit should include:

1 umbrella
1 umbrella holder
1 set of wireless triggers
2 stands
1 reflector
2 sandbags/weights
1 speed light

have fun!

02-18-2016, 01:03 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
A 60" may be a lot of the umbrella for one speed light. you may not be able to take full advantage of the whole umbrella. Maybe a 48" might be a better solution? And you could save and get a much better quality one at that.

But you can get something called an umbrella holder/bracket. it's got a cold-shoe for the flash and a reciever for the umbrella. they work quite well.

One things for sure though, do not forget a weight or sandbag for your stand! an umbrella becomes a sail outside.

look into Cactus triggers to fire your speed light too. much better than relying on optical triggering or having a cable get in the way.

So a basic one speedlight kit should include:

1 umbrella
1 umbrella holder
1 set of wireless triggers
2 stands
1 reflector
2 sandbags/weights
1 speed light

have fun!
All the above included will cost me about $165, excluding the speed light (I already have one) and exuding the remote triggers (I want to use PC sync becuase i'm using this for a Mamiya RB67 and Pentax Super Program, and because it's cheaper)

QuoteOriginally posted by Progbusters Quote
yeah you need a part that goes on the light stand that holds either/both the flash and the umbrella. The stand by itself just has a peg on top. You can buy both as a kit or separately at various prices. Not too expensive. The bigger umbrellas need sturdier and stronger parts to hold up the weight.
Ok, i'm make sure the supporting structure of the Umbrella is of good quality.
Thanks to all three of you!
I'll let you know how it turns out.
02-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Yeah, a long sync cord is much cheaper than wireless triggers especially when you only have one flash. But if you added a second flash, you could also use an inexpensive flash trigger that's activated by light. So you have a key light and "fill light" ( the reflector ). That's a good start.
02-19-2016, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Don't cheap out on a umbrella swivel. I did some engagement photos last weekend, and my budget swivel couldn't even support a 48" umbrella without sagging after a couple minutes Luckily I had an assistant (my wife ) otherwise it would've been infuriating.

02-19-2016, 07:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

This is a nice umbrella mount. MOUNTD
02-21-2016, 10:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is what I use. It gets the flash centered on the umbrella and gives more even throw.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00URC4E6M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00