Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #1

Red Flash lighting with wildlife

Hello my wonderful gurus!

I want to start taking some low light wildlife photos and know that a lot of animals such as Badgers cannot see red light. Would i get away with putting red plastic or sellophane over my external Argus flash, or are there better DIY alternatives ?

02-19-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What benefit would you get from flashing red light at an animal?
02-19-2016, 11:35 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
What benefit would you get from flashing red light at an animal?
The fact that white flash will scare the animal so it will run and cause a blurred photo. Red light is unseen so they wont get startled and you can take good photos with the benefit of light.
02-19-2016, 11:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Thekillerqueen Quote
The fact that white flash will scare the animal so it will run and cause a blurred photo. Red light is unseen so they wont get startled and you can take good photos with the benefit of light.
But your light will be red. That probably won't make a good photo.

02-19-2016, 11:51 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
But your light will be red. That probably won't make a good photo.
Which is why i am asking the question . There are ways of doing it so that it so that it doesn't show as red light on the photos, i am just trying to find the best way. I have seen a lot of night time photos that have used red light and red flashes and the photos (unedited) show up as normal flash lighting (no hint of red).

I think it depends on what you use to achieve the red light whether its a red light or a red flash. Which is again why i have asked the question
02-23-2016, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are thinking of infared flash, which is commonly used in camera traps, night vision surveillance and photography equipment. Most terrestrial animals can't see any further into the infrared* than we can. You would also need a camera that is sensitive to IR, off the shelf most cameras are designed to be as insensitive to IR as possible.

Would i get away with putting red plastic or sellophane over my external Argus flash
no, you will just get red images, and you will still spook the animals.

I have seen a lot of night time photos that have used red light and red flashes and the photos (unedited) show up as normal flash lighting (no hint of red).
That is because they were shot in infrared and converted to B&W. Some trap cameras do use visible light, but they are inherently disruptive to wildlife and should be banned.

*Certain Lizards, insects,crustaceans,fish and birds have hyperspectral vision that allows them to perceive the polarization of light and see wavelengths that are invisible to us.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-23-2016 at 08:57 PM.
02-24-2016, 06:43 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
You are thinking of infared flash, which is commonly used in camera traps, night vision surveillance and photography equipment. Most terrestrial animals can't see any further into the infrared* than we can. You would also need a camera that is sensitive to IR, off the shelf most cameras are designed to be as insensitive to IR as possible.

no, you will just get red images, and you will still spook the animals.

That is because they were shot in infrared and converted to B&W. Some trap cameras do use visible light, but they are inherently disruptive to wildlife and should be banned.

*Certain Lizards, insects,crustaceans,fish and birds have hyperspectral vision that allows them to perceive the polarization of light and see wavelengths that are invisible to us.

Thank you