Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flash Testing

I did some flash testing that might be of interest to others. I did post it on another thread concerning a different question, but thought it might be of interest here too.

I am learning how to use my flash too since I am finding more reasons for it photographing events at our church. One thing is the use of a diffuser for the flash. A few years ago I had purchased a small 8"x9" diffuser to mount on the flash. It help a little, but I found out I should have purchased a much larger one. I don't have a lot of money to spend and have been reading about how to bounce the flash off of walls for a better quality of light. Also how to make my own diffuser out of what's laying around the house. One is use plastic Tupperware products and another is something called the "Black Foamie Thing" which can be read about here: http://neilvn.com/tangents/about/black-foamie-thing/

I didn't have any tupperware the right shape, but I did have a empty quart size plastic milk container that I just emptied. After cleaning it out I cut off the top enough for the end of the flash to stick through and tried it out, pointing the flash straight up. It gave a nice quality light with no shadows behind the model. I just now realized that I didn't try it bouncing off the wall, will do that later.

Next concerning the Black Foamine Thing. This worked really well bouncing the flash off the wall, about the same as the milk carton. The instructions for the foamie thing states to make it out of some foam like material found at craft stores. I didn't have any foam and didn't feel like going to the store, but I did have some black felt material, so I used that. I think using a foam material would hold the shape better, but right now I am on the cheap. The purpose of folding the foam/felt under the flash to prevent direct light from the flash from striking the subject.
I took a few test photos and uploaded them to my photo site if anyone is interested. Each photo is named to reflect what product was used and if direct, bounce or pointed at the ceiling. Photos were all taken with K-S2, FA 50mm F2.8 macro lens and Metz Mecablitz 50 AF-1 flash. I didn't get a signed released from my model, so no commercial use.
http://wingincamera.zenfolio.com/flash-test

There is a color cast from the interior overhead light in the room. I made no attempt to correct it since I was concerned about how the flash worked.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/314450-severa...#ixzz40eIxxom4

02-19-2016, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Good to see these comparison shots, and your points also. As you say, the two types of flash modifiers you refer to here ( 'Flag' and 'Dome'/Bulb) each have very different outcomes. The flag type is to try and avoid spilling any direct light onto the subject, instead creating a simulated off-camera light source coming from a side and/or above angle, and creating a higher contrast on the subjects.

The Dome type aims to spread light all around and doesn't give much directional control, but is good for lighting up groups and larger spaces plus adding some front fill and catchlight (the Gary Fong Lightsphere is a well known commercial example). I find they both work best when keeping these two very distinct aims in mind.

A flag can be a real power sucker, forcing your flash to output high amounts as the angles and distances of your bounce can really add up, so its going to work best at higher ISO's and wide apertures. I will look one day at the Full Frame camera plus a new wide aperture zoom precisely for this bounce flash purpose, to try and retain image quality while reducing recycling times. It's another good reason to not skimp on guide number (power) when choosing a flash.

The dome type diffuser is easier on the power as it throws a good amount of light directly onto the subject, but it tends to give a flat quality of light .... Also if bounced upwards to a ceiling you can get dark patches under eyes in shadow.
02-20-2016, 01:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for the comments, it helps me to understand what is going on. I might look for another type of "dome/bulb" flash diffuser other than a cut out milk carton, it doesn't look very professional.
02-20-2016, 02:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It's a bit more expensive, but have you looked at the organic ranges ... ?

There's always been debate around the need for the commercial 'tupperware' , when makeshift alternatives can do. ......I don't know, I'm not too good with my hands and fingers, it would be bound to fall off! Gary Fong and his ' Fong dong' come in for a fair bit of rather rude stick, but personally I find his products do the job, look ok and they don't fall off, so I'll buy them. No doubt a milk bottle can be worked to have a similar result.

02-21-2016, 08:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice to see tests like this, thanks for sharing.

You might find fur ends up rendering a little different than skin... no harm in using yourself as an available model.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
I might look for another type of "dome/bulb" flash diffuser other than a cut out milk carton, it doesn't look very professional.
Put black duct tape on the cut edges and maybe around the handle. It will instantly look 10x more professional.

You get bonus points if you start a shooting gig with a full bottle of milk, chug this bottle, cut it up with a pocket knife, and stick it on the flash before your subjects very eyes. Rinsing it first was smart, but it would break up the flow in a live demo.
02-22-2016, 05:33 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Nice to see tests like this, thanks for sharing.
Put black duct tape on the cut edges and maybe around the handle. It will instantly look 10x more professional.

You get bonus points if you start a shooting gig with a full bottle of milk, chug this bottle, cut it up with a pocket knife, and stick it on the flash before your subjects very eyes. Rinsing it first was smart, but it would break up the flow in a live demo.
I could try a gallon jug for a bigger light source, but that would be too much to drink for me in one sitting
02-23-2016, 01:38 AM   #7
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
...another is something called the "Black Foamie Thing" which can be read about here: http://neilvn.com/tangents/about/black-foamie-thing/

...I think using a foam material would hold the shape better, but right now I am on the cheap.
99 cents at Michael's , makes two. The hair bands to hold it on will cost more. Roll up for snoot or opened flat & attach with gaffers tape for flag on light stand.

02-23-2016, 02:17 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's a 'flag'. You can use your left hand in a pinch.