Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2016, 01:15 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Was that taken with the AF-540FGZII ... ? Nice portrait, I like the side lighting soft contrast on the face. Glad to have helped and I'm sure you are going to enjoy working with the new Pentax flash, which has a really nice design and interface and is compact for it's power....oh, and I guess type you're looking forward to the K1 as well.
K10D Kit lens no flash. Lots of PP. Would have been easier with a flash. My Granddaughter Regan. I won the monthly here with it. Thanks again for your advice. I'm looking forward for sure for the FF and the flash. Lots of play time coming.

02-26-2016, 03:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dawg Quote
K10D Kit lens no flash. Lots of PP. Would have been easier with a flash. My Granddaughter Regan. I won the monthly here with it. Thanks again for your advice. I'm looking forward for sure for the FF and the flash. Lots of play time coming.
I don't know... I often think that way, that it's easier with flash, then I try it and it isn't.
The beauty of natural light is that it can be very soft and diffused, and it's difficult to make a flash look like that...
You need something to bounce it on, or to diffuse its light, otherwise it's definitely worse than the light of the sun, which can be really fantastic, as your awesome picture no doubt proves
02-26-2016, 04:09 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
You need something to bounce it on, or to diffuse its light,
But you need to do all that to the sun, too, to achieve soft light.
02-27-2016, 01:53 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But you need to do all that to the sun, too, to achieve soft light.
sometimes clouds are prpvided free of charge!

02-27-2016, 02:28 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

sometimes clouds are prpvided free of charge!
Agreed, mate, but there are times when they simply don't turn up when I ask, so we need to have a plan B. ☺

You can even put a big softbox very close to your model then remove it in Photoshop if you take a second shot without it as the clean reference.
02-27-2016, 04:12 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Agreed, mate, but there are times when they simply don't turn up when I ask, so we need to have a plan B. ☺

You can even put a big softbox very close to your model then remove it in Photoshop if you take a second shot without it as the clean reference.
Agreed, what I was trying to say is that using flash is difficult, and sometimes a good natural light source (WHEN available...) works more effectively and with less hassle.
Many times I've used flash, then taken an available light picture and discarded the flash pictures altogether... sometimes they are better, but sometimes they aren't.
I'm not particularly skilled in that field, but all the same I'd say that it's a difficult art to master.
02-27-2016, 04:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Well I was impressed with the nice lighting on the Big Dawg's mono portrait .... I mean, it was so good that I was fooled and thought it was flash !

02-27-2016, 05:24 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not particularly skilled in that field, but all the same I'd say that it's a difficult art to master.
Oh, sure. You couldn't be a professional portrait or fashion photographer these days if you hadn't.

Look at Leibovitz's or Seligar's typical setups!
02-27-2016, 08:06 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Oh, sure. You couldn't be a professional portrait or fashion photographer these days if you hadn't.

Look at Leibovitz's or Seligar's typical setups!
That truly is art...
But it's far more complicated than buying a flash, mounting it on a camera and firing happily.
I'm starting now to venture in the land of dual (manual) flash, and it's fascinating.
02-27-2016, 12:14 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

That truly is art...
But it's far more complicated than buying a flash, mounting it on a camera and firing happily.
I'm starting now to venture in the land of dual (manual) flash, and it's fascinating.
Yeah, welcome to the world of ratios! 😀
02-27-2016, 12:48 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Yeah, welcome to the world of ratios! ��
It's a mess... 1/128 and 1/64 (I only use manual, so no TTL) is a 1:2 ratio IF distances are equal (light intensity should be inversely proportional with the square of distance), but what is one source is diffused more? or zoomed out wider?
02-27-2016, 12:50 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's a mess... 1/128 and 1/64 is a 1:2 ratio IF distances are equal, but what is one source is diffused more? or zoomed out wider?
Flash meter for the win!
02-27-2016, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Flash meter for the win!
Oh noes! Do you mean there's yet another piece of gear I need?
02-27-2016, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Flash meter for the win!
Yep, I've a bottom-of-the-range Sekonic that does everything I'll ever want.

Not sure that even Leibovitz or Seligor would actually need anything it doesn't do. ☺
02-27-2016, 03:07 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh noes! Do you mean there's yet another piece of gear I need?
Need - no. Want - maybe! It can make setting ratios much easier, and help with consistency if you want to match a lighting setup you've used previously.

Yep, I've a bottom-of-the-range Sekonic that does everything I'll ever want.

Not sure that even Leibovitz or Seligor would actually need anything it doesn't do. ☺
Their version might come with an assistant to carry it around