Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2016, 03:08 PM   #1

Yongnuo YN460 II ac power supply modification?

I recently began using a pair of these flashes with my KX as optical slaves, but they go through batteries quickly. Unfortunately, the small jack on the side is not for external DC power. I tried applying power from a 6 V, 2 A DC power supply today to the +/- terminals inside the battery compartment, but all that happens is that the first power light on the flash comes on and just flashes. I'm sort of in a bind with the one flash as I have it sitting apart on the desk and I am going to need them both for an upcoming session.

At first I thought the power/ current supplied wasn't enough, but I see power mods for this flash around the web using 6V/ 2A DC supplies and they fire (although recycle time is much delayed but I don't care about that), so I can't figure out what's going on. Unfortunately, none of the resources I came across had details as to how they modded their flashes except one person alluded to a "hidden" ground wire somewhere.

Anyway, if anyone knows some instructions, it sure would be welcome. Thanks in advance!

03-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ctron Quote
I recently began using a pair of these flashes with my KX as optical slaves, but they go through batteries quickly. Unfortunately, the small jack on the side is not for external DC power. I tried applying power from a 6 V, 2 A DC power supply today to the +/- terminals inside the battery compartment, but all that happens is that the first power light on the flash comes on and just flashes. I'm sort of in a bind with the one flash as I have it sitting apart on the desk and I am going to need them both for an upcoming session.

At first I thought the power/ current supplied wasn't enough, but I see power mods for this flash around the web using 6V/ 2A DC supplies and they fire (although recycle time is much delayed but I don't care about that), so I can't figure out what's going on. Unfortunately, none of the resources I came across had details as to how they modded their flashes except one person alluded to a "hidden" ground wire somewhere.

Anyway, if anyone knows some instructions, it sure would be welcome. Thanks in advance!
Two things are killing you
1 the external input on a flash is usually 330V
2 inrush current is close to dead short

Irrelevant what your 6v2a DC PSU is capable of it will crow bar when attached to a flash.

Your options
1 use a battery that can take the punishment
2 Place a 3ohm (should be 12watts but due to short load time prob get away with 1-3watt) in series with your PSU to limit current to 2A
03-01-2016, 09:06 AM   #3

Original Poster
I got it going but using the 5V output from a spare PC power supply I had sitting around unused. Turns out that any of the smaller current supplies I had been trying weren't supplying enough current. Even with the PC supply, flash isn't quite as fast as with the AA's, but the delay is small and of no concern. I may put in a fuse at some point if I can determine what size I'll need.