Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2016, 09:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the Pentax AF360FGZ II have an optical slave mode?

I am wondering if the AF360FGZ II has an optical slave mode that can be used in manual?

03-09-2016, 09:57 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

It does not.
03-09-2016, 09:58 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is a link to the manual http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/acc_st_af360fg2.pdf
On Page 64
"

Slave Flash
If the camera or a flash unit used in combination is not
compatible with wireless function, you can wirelessly take
photographs, using this flash unit separated from the camera in
slave flash mode, without connecting an extension cord. You
can take photographs in manual mode.
• Before photographing in slave flash mode, refer to
“Precautions When Photographing with a Slave Flash”.
(Refer to page 75.)
• Set to
SL2
in slave mode of the function menu. (Refer to
page 66.)"
03-10-2016, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sarge Quote
I am wondering if the AF360FGZ II has an optical slave mode that can be used in manual?
It has. You have to set it on SL2 like crewl1 described it. Than you can trigger it with any other flash. I've been using it this way several times in combination with a Yongnuo flash. Actually even the older AF360 FGZ has this mode. On both flashes you have to press the light (lcd illumination) button for several seconds then you get into the function menu - there you will find the SL (slave) mode setting, change that from 1 to 2. That's it.

03-10-2016, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

It sure adds to the attraction of a Pentax dedicated system flash, with that extra versatility that allows it to function within a wider manual setup. I like to term the SL2 mode 'dumb slave' mode, to distinguish from the SL1 'wireless slave' mode ' (which uses the P-TTL communication system). SL1 looks for the main flash following the pre-flashes, whereas ' dumb slave' will just fire when it sees the first trigger signal.

I assume that SL2 will not work with any P-TTL controller flash as it would fire on the first pre-flash ... ?
03-10-2016, 07:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info folks! That helps with my next purchase decision.