Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2016, 05:06 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You did not play with the "delay" feature on the V6II and left a delay value, did you?

You could try a factory reset on both V6II units to ensure there aren't any interfering settings.

10-01-2016, 06:01 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
You did not play with the "delay" feature on the V6II and left a delay value, did you?

You could try a factory reset on both V6II units to ensure there aren't any interfering settings.
Sadly, I did try... But anything more than the "Off" value, which I believe is "0" delay, is much slower.. It seems that the flash is firing too slow at anything within Max Sync Speed (<1/180)..

I've tried factory resetting both, and even messed around with all possible permutations between the Tx and Rx to no avail.. LoL!

Seems like it's a dud with the Metz 52.. :/
10-01-2016, 07:18 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Sadly, I did try... But anything more than the "Off" value, which I believe is "0" delay, is much slower.
Oh, I did not suggest it as a fix; I just wondered whether you had played with the delay settings and inadvertently had left a non-zero value.

Seems like it's a dud with the Metz 52.. :/
Too bad.

Have you tried different modes on the Metz 52?
It should be in TTL mode and as far as I know should automatically switch to P-TTL HSS mode when you turn on the V6II receiver. That's what my Metz 58 AF-2 does.

Seems odd that someone on the Cactus community forum reported the 52 AF-1 worked.
10-01-2016, 07:58 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Oh, I did not suggest it as a fix; I just wondered whether you had played with the delay settings and inadvertently had left a non-zero value.

Too bad.

Have you tried different modes on the Metz 52?
It should be in TTL mode and as far as I know should automatically switch to P-TTL HSS mode when you turn on the V6II receiver. That's what my Metz 58 AF-2 does.

Seems odd that someone on the Cactus community forum reported the 52 AF-1 worked.
It doesn't automatically switch modes. Tried PTTL, PTTL HSS, and even Manual, to no avail. I guess it's luck.. :/

Thanks anyway! Maybe I'll try rollback to previous firmwares, if it's possible. That's the only thing left that I have yet to do.

10-01-2016, 10:08 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Tried PTTL, PTTL HSS, and even Manual, to no avail.
My Metz 58 AF-2 does not go into P-TTL HSS mode, unless it is talking to a camera (or V6II). So if you can get the flash into P-TTL HSS mode, that's probably a good sign.

Maybe I'll try rollback to previous firmwares, if it's possible.
Do you mean earlier V6II firmware versions?
You could give it a shot, rollback is actually supported, but I wouldn't be too optimistic that older versions will be better.

That's the only thing left that I have yet to do.
Why don't you see whether dfp771 @ the Cactus community forum will respond if you post a question in that thread? He made it work with a K-1 and the fact that you are using a K-3 should not make a difference.

Posting to this community forum would have been my first port of call.
10-04-2016, 02:23 AM   #51
Veteran Member

My Metz 58 AF-2 does not go into P-TTL HSS mode, unless it is talking to a camera (or V6II). So if you can get the flash into P-TTL HSS mode, that's probably a good sign.

Do you mean earlier V6II firmware versions?
You could give it a shot, rollback is actually supported, but I wouldn't be too optimistic that older versions will be better.

Why don't you see whether dfp771 @ the Cactus community forum will respond if you post a question in that thread? He made it work with a K-1 and the fact that you are using a K-3 should not make a difference.

Posting to this community forum would have been my first port of call.
I could set the flash to PTTL HSS mode whilst mounted on the trigger. And it works so long as my shutter is in HSS zone (>160). Anything slower, it triggers the flash but the resulting image does not show flash contributing to the exposure.

Only way it does is when I quickly trip the shutter; second frame onwards, or i simply just set my shutter to burst mode.

I'm using a K30 btw.
10-04-2016, 10:26 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Ok, but, when you change the exposure time to longer than 1/180th, does the flash mode switch out of HSS and into normal P-TTL automatically? I'm wondering if you have to do this yourself each time ....

10-04-2016, 11:10 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Ok, but, when you change the exposure time to longer than 1/180th, does the flash mode switch out of HSS and into normal P-TTL automatically? I'm wondering if you have to do this yourself each time ....
Nope, it does not do so automatically.

Even if I set it manually, the issue still remains.

Either I have to toggle burst shot where the first frame will not have any flash contribution although it does go off, or toggle into single shot mode, where I have to quickly take a couple of shots at least as the first frame will not have any flash contribution at all. LoL!

It is as if my flash is triggered off too slowly for every first frame. :/

Mounting the flash directly onto my hotshoe don't seem to have this issue.

Perhaps the trigger, either the transmitter or receiver, in non-HSS speed, is lagging for every first frame?
10-04-2016, 11:25 PM   #54

...Guess it don't work as wonderfully with the Metz 52?
I doubt that.
From your description, the flash did not sync.

For testing purposes, try setting your V6 II (TX) to auto-detect so that on the next power cycle it will auto-detect the camera it is mounted on. Remember to first switch on the camera, then switch on the V6 II to TX mode and at the same time half press the shutter button a couple times.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing your test results.
10-05-2016, 01:09 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cactus Quote
I doubt that.
From your description, the flash did not sync.

For testing purposes, try setting your V6 II (TX) to auto-detect so that on the next power cycle it will auto-detect the camera it is mounted on. Remember to first switch on the camera, then switch on the V6 II to TX mode and at the same time half press the shutter button a couple times.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing your test results.
Ok, I'll give it a try later once I've knocked off and report.

May I clarify also, how about the receiver trigger? Set it to the Pentax/Auto Pentax Profile?

So in short,

TX: Auto
Rx: Pentax/Auto Pentax

Am I correct?
10-05-2016, 02:50 AM   #56

Yes, for the RX it does not matter. Auto-detect or manually select the flash profile is both fine.

Thank you!
10-05-2016, 01:02 PM   #57

I bought a V6ii and cactus RF 60 flash for my K3. Took ages to get the dam thing to flash. Useing an on camera flash bracket. Turns out the flash don't work if it's to close to the V6ii. Yes I know it has close and distant radio settings and I had it on close. Aluminium tape on the flash gun helps. Part from that had it flashing at 1/2000 at 2.8 in the sun so looks like all ok. Does need a firmware update of there web site. Make sure you select latest one or it takes you back to 200, mine was 202 latest update is 204. Hope this helps someone.
10-05-2016, 02:20 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok, but, when you change the exposure time to longer than 1/180th, does the flash mode switch out of HSS and into normal P-TTL automatically?
Yes, it does. The later RF60 firmwares provide an "Auto HSS" setting and the auto-switching also works for flashes on V6II receivers.

The auto switching works for my K100D, K-5 II, and K-1 in combination with the RF60 and Metz 58 AF-2.

I'm wondering if you have to do this yourself each time ....
I don't know what SyncGuy's problem is but it is definitely not normal that slower shutter speeds don't work for him in HSS mode.
10-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimmyjames Quote
Turns out the flash don't work if it's to close to the V6ii. Yes I know it has close and distant radio settings and I had it on close.
What firmware are you running on the V6II?

There was bug in one of the earlier ones that prevented the "SHORT" setting to have an effect. Try updating your V6II firmware.

I have "WORK RANGE" set to "SHORT" on my V6II and it can touch the RF60 and still fires the latter.
10-05-2016, 11:05 PM   #60

Cheers, I have also updated the V6ii to latest spec, along with the flash. You might not believe this, but here goes. Silver tape works right, if I look through the view finder it don't??? Have to use live view and keep my head away from camera, work that one out, I can't.