Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2016, 11:18 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cactus Quote
Yes, for the RX it does not matter. Auto-detect or manually select the flash profile is both fine.

Thank you!
Back to report!

And.....*drum rolls*..... Still failed! :'(

It's still acting like a HSS-only trigger... Faulty unit?

10-17-2016, 09:01 PM   #62

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Back to report!

And.....*drum rolls*..... Still failed! :'(

It's still acting like a HSS-only trigger... Faulty unit?
Doh.
So are you still experiencing the same problems that you mentioned before:

PS: Ok, after blasting around, it seems that anything slower than HSS zone (<1/200), my first 2 frames are always dark as if there are no flash although i can actually see the flash firing off.
And this also requires me to shoot in continuous burst.

If i shoot and pause, for 10 frames, it will all be dark, as if no flash contribution although I see the flash firing off..
  1. Have you ever updated your Metz 52?
  2. Did it ever worked before on the V6 II?
  3. Was the V6 II able to detect the Metz 52 AF-1?

I wonder if the Metz 52 only had Analogue TTL? Some did that after a firmware update - to work with the new K-1.

Thank you.
11-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Doh.
So are you still experiencing the same problems that you mentioned before:

1. Have you ever updated your Metz 52?
  2. Did it ever worked before on the V6 II?
  3. Was the V6 II able to detect the Metz 52 AF-1?

I wonder if the Metz 52 only had Analogue TTL? Some did that after a firmware update - to work with the new K-1.

Thank you.
Yep!

Just found time to update both my V6iis to firmware 1.1.005. Still functioning like a HSS-only trigger.

Updated my Metz 52 AF-1 to the latest firmware 1.3.
Not that i know off as i bought them new in hope that it would be my go-to triggers, but alas!
V6ii able to detect both camera AND flash. :/

Guess i got dud units..
12-02-2016, 06:20 AM   #64
Veteran Member

@Cactus, any further advice for my issue?

In short,
1) I've tested all profiles with both triggers on-camera and on-flash, laboriously resetting them with every changes made.

2) The flash fires AND CONTRIBUTES to the image from 1/200 onwards.

3) Anything slower than 1/200, (e.g. 1/160), the flash fires but DOES NOT CONTRIBUTE to the image.

3) For shutter speed slower than 1/200, (e.g. 1/160), shutter needs to be fired at least twice simultaneously and then ONLY THE SECOND image will result in the flash contributing to the picture. That means I always have to fire at least twice to get a usable image with the second frame.

In conclusion, it is now a HSS ONLY trigger. Doesn't work for shutter speed slower than 1/200 (i.e. 1/160 and slower) without having to shoot simultaneously.

Last edited by SyncGuy; 12-02-2016 at 06:28 AM.
12-07-2016, 01:51 AM   #65

@Cactus, any further advice for my issue?
We suspect that the centre hot shoe pin on one of the device has malfunction.

If you able to fire the Metz 52 AF-1 directly on the K-1 and shoot at shutter speeds below 1/200s, then it's not a problem with neither the camera nor the Metz, but could be the V6 II.

Also try swapping between the two V6 II as TX and RX could single out the cause.

Please let us know your findings. Thanks!
12-07-2016, 02:21 AM   #66
Veteran Member

We suspect that the centre hot shoe pin on one of the device has malfunction.

If you able to fire the Metz 52 AF-1 directly on the K-1 and shoot at shutter speeds below 1/200s, then it's not a problem with neither the camera nor the Metz, but could be the V6 II.

Also try swapping between the two V6 II as TX and RX could single out the cause.

Please let us know your findings. Thanks!
@Cactus, I did swap both transceivers, with the appropriate setting (TX/RX) between my Metz 52-AF1 and my Pentax K30 respectively.
Still the same results.

I've also tried to use alkaline batteries, since Eneloops only rated for 1.2V each, and still the same issue.

I'm able to utilize my Metz flash and all flashes contributes to the image at all shutter speed setting.

PS: Don't get me wrong, the flash still fires with the transceivers, but anything <1/200 results in no flash contribution to the image for the first frame. Seems to be slow?
12-08-2016, 02:44 AM   #67

Thanks for testing your setup again.

I would like to confirm, when you said:

... I'm able to utilize my Metz flash and all flashes contributes to the image at all shutter speed setting.
Do you mean that when you mount your Metz flash directly on camera hot shoe, you were able to sync the flash from x-sync to HSS shutter speeds?

Also
...but anything <1/200 results in no flash contribution to the image for the first frame. Seems to be slow?
So only the first shot above >1/200s the flash did not sync? But it did fire a flash?

And for x-sync speed (say 1/60s), the flash also fired but just doesn't sync?

TBH it's rather difficult for us to troubleshoot this further as we do not have the Metz 52 AF-1 (for Pentax). Would you have another Pentax system flash to test?

Thank you.

12-20-2016, 11:38 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Thanks for testing your setup again.

I would like to confirm, when you said:

Do you mean that when you mount your Metz flash directly on camera hot shoe, you were able to sync the flash from x-sync to HSS shutter speeds?

Also

So only the first shot above >1/200s the flash did not sync? But it did fire a flash?

And for x-sync speed (say 1/60s), the flash also fired but just doesn't sync?

TBH it's rather difficult for us to troubleshoot this further as we do not have the Metz 52 AF-1 (for Pentax). Would you have another Pentax system flash to test?

Thank you.
Hi again! Sorry it took so long as I had to find another flash to test. Anyway, tested with a Pentax 540 with the same result.

On the statements above:

1) The Metz 52 AF-1 has no issues from x-sync to HSS when mounted directly on the K30.

2) ALL shots above >1/200 syncs OK.

3)
i) Shots at any x-sync speed does not sync with the flash although it appears to fire
ii) Requires to shoot a second frame or more, in succession, for flash to sync, but only from second frame onwards.

Is it a sign of faulty units?
Hope that helps.
12-21-2016, 03:54 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Anyway, tested with a Pentax 540 with the same result.
Are you using a K-30? Your profile says K-30 and you mentioned it in your last post, but as you are referencing a 1/200s sync-speed, you might be using a K-1?

I don't experience your issue with neither K100D, K-5 II, nor K-1.

@Cactus: Have you ever tested a Pentax K-30?
12-23-2016, 05:30 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Are you using a K-30? Your profile says K-30 and you mentioned it in your last post, but as you are referencing a 1/200s sync-speed, you might be using a K-1?

I don't experience your issue with neither K100D, K-5 II, nor K-1.

@Cactus: Have you ever tested a Pentax K-30?
Yep! I'm using the K-30.

I'm stating that I am able to set my shutter speed to 1/200 when I use a flash. But of course, without any flash attached, my max sync speed is 1/180.
12-23-2016, 09:02 AM   #71

Yesterday I purchased a Cactus V6 ii. I faced the same problem as SyncGuy. But my camera K-5. Flash Metz 52. HSS is fine, but not longer than 180 works. Wrote in support. They promised to reply after the Christmas holidays. Today we conducted an experiment. On the transmitter (TX) I chose the Fujifilm flash system...and it worked!!! I tried to put Auto, but no longer governed by the power of the flash (but the flash participated in the exposure, and the power will be as at the last adjustment). Sorry, my English is poor.
12-23-2016, 12:06 PM   #72
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yep! I'm using the K-30.
I guess we will have to wait to hear from Cactus whether they have tested the K-30.

I have shared my settings/procedure below (with a different) flash. Works fine with all my three different Pentax models.

Have you tried manually setting the "FLASH PROFILE" (on the V6II Rx) to "PENTAX AF540F" (or "PENTAX AF540F2", depending on the actual model) when you used the Pentax flash?

QuoteOriginally posted by ringee Quote
Flash Metz 52. HSS is fine, but not longer than 180 works.
So shutter speeds like 1/500s, 1/1000s work, but 1/60s does not?

Do you see a pre-flash from the flash at the lower shutter speeds as well?
Does your flash show "P-TTL HSS" as the flash mode?

QuoteOriginally posted by ringee Quote
On the transmitter (TX) I chose the Fujifilm flash system...and it worked!
The flash system on the V6II Tx (transmitter) should not matter at all. It only is relevant when you want to mount a flash on the on-camera V6II Tx.

For the Transmitter, I have set the "CAMERA SYSTEM" to "PENTAX".
One can set it to "AUTO" to see whether the V6II Tx detects the camera properly. Only if the V6II makes good contact with the camera's hot-shoe contacts, a "P" within a camera symbol will be displayed by the V6II when it is turned on. One has to make sure then, though, that the camera is "active" when the V6II Tx is turned on. Keep tapping the shutter button (half-presses only) when turning on the V6II Tx to make sure the camera is ready to communicate with the V6II Tx. This step is not a problem for me, so I just leave the camera system set to "PENTAX", saving me a bit of time when turning on the trigger.

For the receiver, I have the "FLASH SYSTEM" set to "PENTAX" and the "FLASH PROFILE" set to "METZ 58AF-2" (my flash model). The 52 AF-1 has no predefined profile, so you will have to choose "AUTO PENTAX" for "FLASH PROFILE". I tried the latter setting with my flash model and that works as well.

BTW, ensure the V6II Tx's "SYNC MODE" is set to "NORMAL HSS".

Regarding power on sequences:
  1. Turn on camera.
  2. Turn on V6II Tx (keep half-tapping the shutter release button of the camera, if you are using the auto detect approach for the camera system).
  3. Turn on the flash on the V6II Rx.
  4. Turn on the V6II Rx (the flash's mode should change to "PTTL HSS").
With all the above, I always get 100% synchronisation at any shutter speed (just tested again with my K-5 II because the report by ringee made me doubt whether everything is still working after the last firmware update).

BTW, I'm using V1.1.006 for both V6II Tx and Rx.

Last edited by Class A; 12-23-2016 at 12:20 PM.
12-23-2016, 01:18 PM   #73

Class A, thanks, I tried your recommendation. Oh, my English (bad). I'll try to write simple sentences. I understand what is selected in the transmitter system for the flash. When I select Pentax (flash in the transmitter menu) for shutter speeds slower than 1/180 flash occurs earlier (or later?) Shutter. If I choose the camera mirror up ... then everything is working correctly. But it is inconvenient for shooting. I chose from bezishodnosti profile for Fujifilm flash. In this case, it worked. When installing the transmitter to the camera, he correctly identifies it. But if you choose to auto-detect the flash menu (METZ 52), the receiver and the transmitter it is not defined as Pentax. I, unfortunately, there is no outbreak of the second system to put on one transmitter and one receiver on. I am waiting for an answer from the manufacturer. Firmware for all devices installed last.
01-22-2017, 02:37 PM   #74

Hello

I have do a lot of research for Cactus V6 ii and what I read about user experience is that probably the old cactus v6 works better with pentax products as the new catus v6ii

Regards
Gérard
01-22-2017, 04:42 PM   #75
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gerard_Dirks Quote
I have do a lot of research for Cactus V6 ii and what I read about user experience is that probably the old cactus v6 works better with pentax products as the new catus v6ii
In what way(s) do you think the V6II is not working with Pentax products as well as the V6 does?

My understanding is that the V6II tries to accomplish something more ambitious and requires a bit more care in its use.

However, I'd say the compatibility to Pentax products is very good. Apparently Cactus is currently trying to improve support for the 645Z, but the support for many other Pentax camera models leaves nothing to be desired.