Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2016, 10:39 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I kind of interpret that 'power sync' as a bit like overclocking a computer chip ..... sort of pushing it somehow behind the standard maximum power that is limited by design in normal use. I should imagine there is some risk associated with this though .... ? Maybe it comes with some caution about not using it for too long ?

06-29-2016, 01:35 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
So using a Cactus V6 II+Cactus RF60 do give HSS and Power Sync on a Pentax camera?
If the answer is yes exist a way for obtain HSS and Power Sync even on the slave RF60 without using on each of them a Cactus V6 II?
How exactly work the Power Sync mode to be able to give more power?
Perhaps exist some news about a RF60 II with HSS and power Sync integrated? While remain totally agnostic about specific brand?
06-29-2016, 03:21 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
In relation to my earlier question/musings about how the HSS could be activated on a dedicated system flash that normally needs a wireless P-TTL signal, it looks like this new solution offers manual exposure control plus the HSS continuous burst output from supported flashes. Again, some clever electronic trickery going on.
I don't regard it as electronic trickery but just as supporting the digital protocol that is spoken between a flash and a camera. This communication is emulating the interchange of information that happens between a flash connected on a camera's hot-shoe. There is only an indirect relationship to "wireless" (i.e., optical) communication.

In general I have actually found P-TTL automatic exposures easier to work with for off-camera HSS, as you don't have to readjust the power for every individual aperture, ISO, distance AND shutter change ....(you do with manual power).
Well, that's the age-old debate whether one prefers automatic exposure or manual exposure.

I don't find automatic systems easier to work with because they always have to second-guess what I really want and can get fooled. I find it ironic that a common recommendation for using P-TTL with Pentax cameras is to use the camera in "M" (manual) mode. There are some auto-modes that are designed to work well with P-TTL but apparently people prefer to go manual, at least half the way.
06-29-2016, 03:29 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
So, for us Pentax users, this means that we can have a V6ii on camera, and any flash that the V6ii has profiles for on another V6ii off camera, and we will get some sort of HSS (not PTTL)?
Yes, and you'll get P-TTL HSS (not "some sort of HSS").

You don't get automatic exposure from flashes but the HSS light emitted by a V6II-driven flash is exactly the same as the light coming from the flash when sitting on a camera or being fired optically.

So, I can have a 1/500 shutter speed, the V6ii will fool the camera to thinking that there is an HSS flash in the hot shoe?
Yes.

And this HSS will have manual power control?
Yes.

Also, the video says that it has two HSS modes, normal, and power sync.
Yes.
  • normal = only shutter speeds up to the sync-speed are supported.
  • HSS = same as P-TTL HSS, however with manual power control via radio for four groups.
  • PowerSync = enabling high-speed flash photography with non-HSS flashes by exploiting the fact that full-power pulses last longer than the sync-speed (1/180s for Pentax).

At first I was amazed that the power sync mode would not cause you to lose power in HSS mode, but in trying to understand it better I played it back again and listened carefully to the wording. He says "power sync is going to give you the full power, the maximum power that your flash has". Does that just mean that it is not really HSS, not pulsing the flash but just setting the flash power to full power so that the duration of the flash is longer than the shutter speed?
The PowerSync mode implements the "HyperSync" idea known from PocketWizards.
Indeed, this mode does not initiate HSS-style bursts because it is meant to be used with average (even film-age) flashes that do not offer HSS modes.

On the one hand this mode is great as it will allow you shutters speeds up to 1/8000s without having expensive HSS-capable equipment. On the other hand, it is rather limiting because it only works if the flash is firing at full power. At least the V6II will take care of making the flash fire at full power, no matter what power you set yourself.

If so, I think that's misleading.
In what sense?

If you want true HSS-style bursts with equipment that can deliver it, just use the "HSS" mode.

06-29-2016, 03:34 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I kind of interpret that 'power sync' as a bit like overclocking a computer chip
There is no need to push flashes beyond their specification. Simply firing them at full power provides a long enough pulse to illuminate the full frame.

You can already exploit that technique yourself right now with your existing flashes if you just find a way to trigger them when the shutter speed is higher than the sync-speed. You may do the latter with optical triggering and using an HSS-capable flash or using the "starter pistol" approach.

I should imagine there is some risk associated with this though .... ?
There is no risk in firing flashes at full power and no trickery beyond that should be necessary.
06-29-2016, 03:43 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alexfoto Quote
So using a Cactus V6 II+Cactus RF60 do give HSS and Power Sync on a Pentax camera?
Yes.

Additionally, you get HSS and/or PowerSync with any other (supported) flash as long as you pair it with a V6II receiver.
The flash does not have to be from the same system, e.g., you could use a Nikon SB-900 in combination with a Pentax camera, shooting in HSS mode.

If the answer is yes exist a way for obtain HSS and Power Sync even on the slave RF60 without using on each of them a Cactus V6 II?
I'm not sure I understand your question. I can confirm, however, that a standard RF60 will cooperate with the V6II to shoot in both "HSS" and "PowerSync" modes, without the need to involve another V6II receiver. All you'll need is a firmware upgrade for the RF60.

How exactly work the Power Sync mode to be able to give more power?
It provides "more power" compared to HSS because it does not have to emulate a constant light source by producing a high-frequency burst. All HSS solutions imply that some flash power is lost due to the need to avoid black bars and provide an even exposure across the frame.

The PowerSync (aka HyperSync) mode just uses a flash at full power. This means that the exposure across the frame will be somewhat graduated due to the fact that the pulse has an intense peak that dies off pretty quickly. However, by adjusting the sync-timing, you can adjust the exposure gradation to your liking/needs.

Perhaps exist some news about a RF60 II with HSS and power Sync integrated?
The old RF60 will do; just needs a firmware upgrade.

While remain totally agnostic about specific brand?
Both V6II and (firmware upgraded) RF60 are still supporting multiple brands at the same time.
06-29-2016, 03:50 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by andy888 Quote
The 'cross brand' was already implemented by acon R930PN several months ago and sold in China. So the Cactus isn't the first 'cross brand HSS'.
In what sense is the Acon system "cross-brand"?

Basically, the Acon triggers replace a P-TTL cable with radio communication but do not add or remove anything to/from P-TTL.

Anything involving optical triggering does not count as "cross-brand" when it comes to radio triggers.

the advance of the acon R930 are:

Support P-TTL, instant correct exposure and adjustable in the camera menu.
You cannot adjust the power levels of multiple remote flashes in the camera menu.

For anyone who loves P-TTL (with its support for automatic exposure but all its limitiations) the Acon triggers are apparently the bee's knees.

The V6(II) is an entirely different kettle of fish, providing remote control support for up to four different groups from the camera position. Anyone counting themselves in the "strobist" camp, i.e., preferring manual control, will really like the V6(II) and find the Acon triggers useless. Anyone finding that P-TTL gives them everything they need, should be looking at the Acons.

06-29-2016, 04:54 PM   #23
Banned

I would let the cuctus people alone here.

Last edited by andy888; 02-05-2017 at 04:20 AM.
06-30-2016, 09:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Yes, and you'll get P-TTL HSS (not "some sort of HSS").

You don't get automatic exposure from flashes but the HSS light emitted by a V6II-driven flash is exactly the same as the light coming from the flash when sitting on a camera or being fired optically.
I don't understand this. To me, P-TTL means autoexposure. If you have to set the power manually, what it P-TTL about it?

Also, regarding the Power Sync option, how would the result of using that be different then the result of using HSS set to full power?
06-30-2016, 09:44 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
To me, P-TTL means autoexposure. If you have to set the power manually, what it P-TTL about it?
I said "P-TTL HSS" because you are getting the same native HSS burst of fast pulses that approximate continuous light that you get by using a P-TTL HSS flash on-camera.

Also, regarding the Power Sync option, how would the result of using that be different then the result of using HSS set to full power?
"HSS" means that the flash always produces a burst of very many, very short pulses that approximate a continuous output. This kind of output is designed to achieve an even exposure across the frame, no matter what power level you use.

A PowerSync/HyperSync approach uses a standard full-power pulse which varies a lot in intensity over time. There is a sharp rise to a pretty narrow peak and a very quick (exponential) fall-off towards very low output. This will produce a graduated exposure. Hence, there is quite a bit of difference between a proper "HSS" burst and a standard PowerSync pulse.
06-30-2016, 09:46 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
As you can see in the link provided. some Pentax users already use the PN model as middle connector to fire Godox X1N to trigger 3 flashes, AF360,2,Godox TT600. and adjust the HSS power using X1N. which is much more cheap and with more groups.
You seem to be talking about stacking multiple triggers on-camera. That wouldn't make the Acon "multi-brand".

BTW, the Godox X1 trigger series has still a host of problems and there have been issues with wrong firmware version updates (the receiver update was actually for the transmitter and bricked the receiver). I wouldn't touch X1 triggers at the moment. Perhaps there are people that can make them work in certain circumstances but Godox is clearly still debugging the firmware.
06-30-2016, 10:54 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I said "P-TTL HSS" because you are getting the same native HSS burst of fast pulses that approximate continuous light that you get by using a P-TTL HSS flash on-camera.

Well, that's why I said "some sort of HSS", I think that is more accurate than saying P-TTL HSS. As far as I can understand here, it's not P-TTL at all. Anyway, thanks for all of the information here, I think I understand it better now.
06-30-2016, 10:59 AM   #28

Photos: Albums
Interesting.
07-01-2016, 07:07 AM   #29

Hi Class A, If i get a V6II and stick in on my K3 and the existing V6 wired to a Godox 600 you think it'll fire HSS? Was just thinking....
07-01-2016, 04:40 PM   #30
Banned

I would let the cuctus people alone here.

Last edited by andy888; 02-05-2017 at 04:20 AM.