Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2017, 06:43 PM   #76

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerard_Dirks Quote
Hello

I have do a lot of research for Cactus V6 ii and what I read about user experience is that probably the old cactus v6 works better with pentax products as the new catus v6ii

Regards
Gérard
You could say that, the V6 is indeed more versatile because it literally can be used on any camera, so long there's a standard ISO hot shoe. You could even mount the V6 via sync cord and still have remote power control capabilities. It only needs a trigger signal from the camera working via the centre hot shoe pin. But on the V6 II, it requires constant communication with the camera on all contact pins so it does require more attention from the user. We may improve this if we have a dedicated Pentax version with matching hot shoes. Perhaps this is something we will consider in the future.

01-24-2017, 07:50 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cactus Quote
But on the V6 II, it requires constant communication with the camera on all contact pins so it does require more attention from the user.
Can you please elaborate on "so it does require more attention from the user"?
01-25-2017, 02:36 AM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Can you please elaborate on "so it does require more attention from the user"?
Sure!

The original V6 is a manual trigger at heart but it has the ability to do remote power control of compatible TTL flashes. But the actual triggering is under x-sync, so essentially it functions like a manual trigger - the only point of contact required is the centre hot shoe contact pin. (Unless you use TTL Pass Through for an on-camera Pentax flash)

The new V6 II on the other hand is no longer just a manual trigger because it now supports HSS. To do this, the communication between the camera and the transmitter requires not just the centre hot shoe contact pin, but the other pins as well. Therefore, the user needs to make sure the V6 II is securely mounted on camera hot shoe and align with camera contacts.

Hope this helps!
01-25-2017, 02:51 AM   #79
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you.

01-25-2017, 02:11 PM   #80
Veteran Member

I've had very good reliable use with my V6 overall .... The only issue that occaisionally bugs me is a loss of contact with the hotshoe (and so no flash triggering). This is usually accompanied by a slight loosening of the locking lever.

A quick press forwards with the thumb and tightening of the lever solves the problem. It's a minor matter and easy to fix but it does keep recurring.
01-25-2017, 03:18 PM   #81

Sure!

The original V6 is a manual trigger at heart but it has the ability to do remote power control of compatible TTL flashes. But the actual triggering is under x-sync, so essentially it functions like a manual trigger - the only point of contact required is the centre hot shoe contact pin. (Unless you use TTL Pass Through for an on-camera Pentax flash)

The new V6 II on the other hand is no longer just a manual trigger because it now supports HSS. To do this, the communication between the camera and the transmitter requires not just the centre hot shoe contact pin, but the other pins as well. Therefore, the user needs to make sure the V6 II is securely mounted on camera hot shoe and align with camera contacts.

Hope this helps!
Hello cactus

Is it correct that the actuell Cactus V6ii is an trigger which only works manually with the camera, but use the P-TTL of the flashes to communicate between each other. For me it is a little bid confused

Regards
Gérard
01-25-2017, 06:14 PM   #82
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gerard_Dirks Quote
Hello cactus

Is it correct that the actuell Cactus V6ii is an trigger which only works manually with the camera, but use the P-TTL of the flashes to communicate between each other. For me it is a little bid confused
I'm not Cactus, but here's how it has to be on a technical level:
  • there is a bit of P-TTL talk between camera and V6II transmitter (otherwise, HSS would not work).
  • there is a bit of P-TTL talk between V6II receiver and speedlights (otherwise, modern P-TTL flashes would not be supported with remote power control).
  • the communication between V6II transmitter and V6II receivers only involves manual levels. There is no support for any P-TTL communication between transmitter and receivers (otherwise, automatic exposure support and further P-TTL features would be supported).
Cactus, please correct me if I'm wrong.

01-26-2017, 07:30 PM   #83

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
...Cactus, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Hi Class A, you are spot on on the P-TTL communications around the V6 II.

Thank you.
01-27-2017, 02:39 AM   #84

Hi Class A, you are spot on on the P-TTL communications around the V6 II.

Thank you.
Hallo Cactus

Do you think their will be an Cactus available in the future which supports full P-TTL between Camera and flashes?

Ad this moment I work with the buildin (Infrared) Trigger. For most purpose it works, but for a couple of scenes a radio trigger would be nicer.

Regards
Gérard
01-27-2017, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #85
Veteran Member

Thanks ClassA for your clear explanation, I appreciate it, a useful way to conceptualise the communication technologies involved. Thanks also Cactus for verifying that explanation also ....(I kind of felt I needed to say all of this ....)
01-28-2017, 08:08 AM   #86
Veteran Member

Oh yea... I'm "lost" as to what's the plan now...

LoL! @Cactus, any updates so far?
01-29-2017, 01:44 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Class A or Cactus, I'm looking for advice on the V6ii and RF60 flashes. I've been using the V6 with four RF60's, and they work great. Just bought a V6ii and can't get it to fire them. The V6ii is FW 1.1.006, and all of the RF60's have been upgraded to FW 204. They continue to work with the V6. For my testing I have the V6ii set to Short Range, TX to flash distance about 3-4 feet, flashes on Slave, group A, channel 1, V6ii set the same. I've also tried Reset on the V6ii. How can I get these to work with the new V6ii transceiver? Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Last edited by NeverSatisfied; 01-29-2017 at 08:17 AM.
01-29-2017, 08:20 AM   #88
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
The V6ii is FW 1.01.6, and all of the RF60's have been upgraded to FW 204.
Are you sure?

Keep holding "Next" on the flash while turning it on and it should show the firmware version.

If you don't see "204" then update again, but ensure you use "check for latest firmware" before pressing "update".

I have trouble imagining any other reason than an older firmware version on the RF60s. Of course, you need to have the same channel and radio ID settings on the V6II and RF60s. I'd also recommend to leave the AUTO HSS option on the RF60s at "ON".

If you cannot get anything to work with the RF60s, you could try whether you can control any of the V6 with the V6II. For that to work, however, you have to update the V6 to the latest firmware version.
01-29-2017, 08:36 AM   #89
Veteran Member

I've now tried changing the FW on the RF60 back to Ver. 200, but the V6ii still does not communicate. Then upgraded the RF60 FW to Ver. 204 (latest, which is what I had installed yesterday) again. Still no communication with V6ii, but the V6 again works perfectly. I've downloaded the user manuals for both RF60 and V6ii, yet neither seems to indicate other than, turn both units on and they should work, no fancy hocus-pocus needed. Again, RF60 on Slave, both V6ii and RF60 on Channel 1, Group A, Working Range short (tried from about 6 - 10 feet now, AND I've tried long range too just in case). I've also tried switching channels and groups to no avail. I have tried both with the V6ii on-camera and off, but it seems for this kind of testing, off-camera should be sufficient, right? (The V6 works fine that way for testing.) The V6ii camera profile is set to Pentax. Another question, could the flash profile set-up make a difference? I have tried both "Auto", as well as "Manual". I didn't think that it should be set to "Pentax AF540", for example, when using the Cactus flash. I'm stumped, any ideas?

One other thing, if I go to Power Mode on V6ii, then try to set to Absolute (set-up), then Sync Flash, it says "no flash found". If I do the same thing with the V6, it immediately finds the RF60. Also, when I first turn on V6ii, "Det.Flash" shows the the little square symbol with lightning bolt at top left corner, the inside of the box which would indicate "P", "N", etc. is blank.

EDIT: Sorry ClassA, I was typing last post apparently during your reply. Yes I've checked RF60s and they all show FW ver 204. Auto HSS is on. Group and channel settings are the same. The V6 has already been upgraded to 2.1.001.

---------- Post added 01-29-17 at 11:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
If you cannot get anything to work with the RF60s, you could try whether you can control any of the V6 with the V6II. For that to work, however, you have to update the V6 to the latest firmware version.
Both transceivers have been updated to the latest FW, the V6 is ver. 2.1.001, the V6ii is ver. 1.1.006. I have a Pentax AF540 but never intended to use it with the Cactus system, which is why I have four of the RF60 flashes. So I did fiddle with the AF540 for a bit but it seemed more trouble than it was worth for this initial trouble-shooting phase. HOWEVER, I did throw an RF60 on the V6 in RX mode, then tried using the V6ii in TX to fire it. Nothing. Strangely enough, when I switched roles (RF60 on V6ii as receiver, V6 as transmitter), everything on the RF60 worked perfectly- power settings, zoom, etc. With the way these are acting I thought maybe I'd mixed the two units up and mistook the V6 for V6ii, but the model numbers are both clearly marked appropriately on the underside. (And of course the different functionality of the V6ii is readily apparent.) Weird, huh?

Last edited by NeverSatisfied; 01-29-2017 at 10:24 AM.
01-29-2017, 09:40 AM   #90
Veteran Member

By the way I forgot to mention that the firmware version for the RF60 is confirmed as 204.