Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2016, 07:41 PM   #1

Eneeloops in Flashes

Has anyone used Eneeloop rechargeable batteries in Pentax Flashes, or in other brand Flashes?

Thanks

04-03-2016, 08:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Virtually everyone on the forum does this.

They work spectacularly. The Eneloop pros last all day of shooting for me. I don't fire at full power all the time but I can do 400 shots at various flash powers and not fully drain them. Recycle is really quick too. I can come close to rapid fire except with a full power fire of the AF540. Cactus RF60 is like a machine gun with Eneloops.
04-03-2016, 08:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Oh yeah, holy wow are Eneloops great. I use the black ones (as opposed to the blue ones) in my flash and the refresh time is insane. It's been a while since I've done this, so I'm probably not getting the numbers right, but they can keep up like a 4 second refresh time for ten shots or so at a time.
04-03-2016, 08:16 PM   #4
mee
Veteran Member

I use them in an af360, af540, and a metz flash. I also use the eneloops in my battery grip for the camera body. No complaints here!

04-03-2016, 08:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got Eneloops to use in my k-x back in 2010.. K-x is long gone but the same Eneloops are still in use in my flashes. I cannot imagine how many disposable batteries those have saved me over almost 6 years.
04-03-2016, 08:45 PM   #6
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Got Eneloops to use in my k-x back in 2010.. K-x is long gone but the same Eneloops are still in use in my flashes. I cannot imagine how many disposable batteries those have saved me over almost 6 years.
Same here.. and one of the reasons I went Pentax in the first place -- the K-x took AA eneloops. They cost more upfront but oh man do they save money (and landfill space) in the long run!

I kind of wonder if in 40 years from now when all our current equipment is long past general 'usefulness'.. if the K-x and K-r cameras will be used by a niche band of hipsters wanting to use something old and chic. And specifically those cameras because they'll be some of the only DSLRs around that have a battery format still (potentially) available.
04-03-2016, 09:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
one of the reasons I went Pentax in the first place -- the K-x took AA eneloops.
LOL. That would be my reason for going Pentax as well. I had a good collection of AA rechargeables from my bridge camera. I wanted a DSLR but did not want to abandon my investment in those batteries. Rather silly reason for picking a camera I went to one of those camera comparison sites, and selected all the features I wanted. The only camera left was the k-x.
Wish I could remember what site that was, it was a very useful tool.

04-03-2016, 10:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Eneloops are working fine in my 540 flash, No porblems and lots of photos from one Set. I'm using an external powepack with 8 eneloops in it typically the flash is ready within less one second. You get warned not to do more than 10 shoots in a series
04-03-2016, 10:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I use regular eneloops (white ones with blue words, panasonic i believe), on my youngnuo flashes, before them i use Energizer or Duracell rechargeable batteries, so far the three brands work ok (i dont use to much flash) but something i notice is the eneloops dont get too hot like the Energizer/Duracell, and were WAY more cheaper than Duracell on amazon (bought a 16 eneloops + Charger and 4 eneloops for the less than price of 12 duracell and the charger)
04-04-2016, 02:28 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I would say that it's the best rechargeable battery I've ever encountered.
04-04-2016, 03:01 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...and if you read the Pentax flash manual, that's the type of battery that's recommended.

I don't use my flash much 'cos I tend to do landscapes, but when I do use it, I use the black eneloops.

Excellent.
04-04-2016, 05:10 AM   #12

I don't even bother with the more expensive Eneloops when the Duracell precharged 2400mah "ION Core" rechargeables are cheaper. It's been said and unscientific tested that these batteries are Eneloops rebranded for Duracell. Plus you can pick them up at more locations than with Eneloops. Not that I really care because, as far as I'm concerned... they work just like Eneloops, last forever in my K-x and 360FGZII flash for $9.99 (4x AA) at a Target store almost 2 years ago, but has since gone up to $10.99 now.
Attached Images

04-04-2016, 07:33 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My wife has used Eneloops in her bridge cameras for years, at my instigation, and they've been excellent. They are definitely the current benchmark for best rechargeable AA.
04-04-2016, 07:49 AM   #14

I bought Eneloops for my flash and they're so good I bought more for general use as well. No more alkaline disposables.

Refresh time, general capacity, and general rechargability sold me.
04-04-2016, 08:01 AM   #15

The only problem with rechargeables is that the voltage starts out low compared to akaline batteries (1.2v vs. 1.5v). I find that with my Amazon basics the voltage drops slower over time as compared to traditional batteries so I still get a good amount of life out of them. But devices can vary in their tolerance for the voltage from the supply, and may decide rather quickly as they discharge that the voltage is too low to work. If the device is designed to work with lithium ion rechargables, then it should already be tolerant of the low voltage, but not every device is going to play nicely with them. The more cells the device requires, the greater that difference will be (i.e. 6 cells in series is only 7.2v versus 9v from traditional 1.5v cells). If that thing requires 9v and wasn't made to work with rechargables, it probably ain't gonna cut it. I found this out with a battery-powered air mattress pump which requires 8 cells. The lithiums just couldn't produce the voltage, and it wasn't designed to work with rechargables.

For the body itself and the AF200 (4-cell) flash, I haven't noticed a problem; both have lasted multiple outings on a topped-up set of 4 amazon basics each.