Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2016, 11:42 PM   #16
Brooke Meyer

Another review Priolite MBX1000 HotSync - Initial Tests - Mark Kitaoka Photographs

04-06-2016, 11:23 PM   #17

Original Poster
first of all I understand this is difficult to achieve with a big curtain like the 645z.

However this is not something I need to worry about if a company advertises a product.

I can not advertising a pair of shoes which will allow you to fly, over charge it, and then tell the customer that this is technically difficult and therefore not working.
04-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I thought these looked like they would be great for action shots of stuff like skiing, skateboarding, mountain biking, etc just to balance the exposure which I do now with a Metz 58 AF-2 but it's often not powerful enough to do much at high speed in daylight. Hopefully it's a bug and they can do better. Or someone else does.
04-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Why are the Mark Kitaoka results seemingly at odds with Toni's, ladies and gents?

04-08-2016, 01:19 AM   #20

Original Poster
dear clackers

the results have been discussed with priolite and they stated them as normal. I could send you photos from their tests, it is the same.
04-08-2016, 01:46 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Toni999 Quote
dear clackers

the results have been discussed with priolite and they stated them as normal. I could send you photos from their tests, it is the same.
Hi PT,

So has Marc corrected in post and not mentioned it?

Have a look at the face of the model on the rocks at the middle of the page, taken at 1/2500s.

Last edited by clackers; 04-08-2016 at 02:44 AM.
04-08-2016, 07:56 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
So maybe their QC is inconsistent and samples vary by a lot? This makes me want one again. What an emotional rollercoaster!

04-08-2016, 08:52 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Why are the Mark Kitaoka results seemingly at odds with Toni's, ladies and gents?
Perhaps Toni999 used the MBX500 at relatively low power settings.

The Priolite "HotSync" technology does not provide "HSS" lighting, but rather is a "HyperSync" approach in which advanced syncing is used but the strobe does not produce a burst of many pulses to approximate a continuous light source, but only produces one long pulse.

If the MBX500 uses IGBT technology then lower power settings will produce shorter flash pulses and hence lead to more pronounced dark bands towards the top and bottom of the frame.

@Toni999: Could you repeat your experiment at different power level settings?
Does the manual say something about flash durations at various power levels?

P.S.: In some of the Mark Kitaoka shots one cannot really judge top & bottom edge illumination, so that would have to be taken into account when judging the test results to be different.
04-13-2016, 06:43 PM   #24

Original Poster

i did test with different power settings. I was talking to priolite and my published results are according to their recommendedations. It is not a sample variation. I had 2 units with same results. They have also been confirmed by priolite as normal. Certainly there are situation where you don't see it. And yes it can be fixed in post of course. Probably what Mark and Alex did.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 04-13-2016 at 10:37 PM.
04-13-2016, 07:20 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Toni999 Quote
My pentax dealer says it's still better then picketwizard oncanikon.
And he is right. Pocketwizard Hypersync is very restrictive on the power levels that can be used and on what cameras it will work with.

Bear in mind there is absolutely nothing stopping you from using these as regular strobes. I have worked with strobes with HSS capability, it is useful for on-location work but In the studio I don't have any use for it at all.
04-13-2016, 09:27 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
it is useful for on-location work but In the studio I don't have any use for it at all
It's as if there is a photographer's catechism, and if you deviate in the slightest, you shall be cast into the lake of eternal fire. Thank God, I'm an amateur.
04-13-2016, 09:51 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
It's as if there is a photographer's catechism
you speak as if this is a theoretical possibility. In the realm of High end commercial photography it isn't.
04-13-2016, 10:02 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
In the realm of High end commercial photography
I can appreciate that the commercial photographer needs the blessing of marketing consultants et al, not the plebeians paying the bills, but I do have a little experience in paying for high end commercial photography (of tires on farm tractors taken by a very talented fashion photographer out of Montreal) and I can unequivocally state that I know not whether he followed all the commercial photography commandments, but I do know it was the best marketing program we ever conducted. For what it is worth.
04-14-2016, 01:15 AM   #29

Original Poster
Anyway I will not keep it and try to sell it. I guess depending on the needs they might fit the bill for somebody else.

Last edited by Toni999; 04-14-2016 at 01:21 AM.
08-14-2016, 09:54 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Toni, did you notice the release of the Cactus V6II trigger?

Unlike the V6, the V6II supports HSS for Pentax.

On their community forum, Cactus write they have successfully used the Profoto B1 at shutter speeds beyond the sync-speed. Apparently the B1 has a way of engaging HSS mode without needing the air remote.
This might be the HSS triggering solution you have been looking for.

You wouldn't be able to remotely control power levels through the V6II, but hopefully the Air remote works off-camera as well, in which case you could just have it nearby and control power levels with it, rather than the V6II.