Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2017, 11:06 AM - 2 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I finally got to use the light in practice with some 1/3200th and 1/4000th sec shutter speeds on the 645Z. These are processed and cropped, but in practice, I did not notice any issues. Vignetting added in post, btw.

Water Droplet

Raindrops Keep Falling

01-30-2017, 12:37 PM   #47
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Might be easier to see on a uniform white wall shot.
With no ambient.

01-30-2017, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I finally got to use the light in practice with some 1/3200th and 1/4000th sec shutter speeds on the 645Z. These are processed and cropped, but in practice, I did not notice any issues. Vignetting added in post, btw.

Water Droplet

Raindrops Keep Falling
The second shot is lovely.
01-30-2017, 11:03 PM   #49
Forum Member

I just saw this thread and would like to add my observations. I use a Pentax K-1 with two Cactus V6ii triggers triggering an Elinchrom ELB400 unit with a HS flash head. I can use this flash in HSS mode or "Powersync" /Hi-sync mode. I initially tested the Cactus triggers and you can see my first results in this older thread :
Short flash duration vs high speed shutter/HSS flash - PentaxForums.com
After some helpful advice from ClassA, I found I could gain about 2/3 stop by using Powersync vs NORMAL HSS. With this flash using a 7" reflector as a modifier from 6 ft the power I measure with my flash meter is F25 @ ISO 100, 1/200th second. So I should be able to shoot in broad daylight, overpower the sun, and get the appearance that my subject is in the shade/dark by shooting @ F8, 1/2000 sec, ISO 100! The light from the 7" reflector will be harsh and dramatic but this should work. I'll have to try this to confirm.

01-31-2017, 05:06 PM   #50
Forum Member

OK, I completed my testing from above. With the Elinchrom ELB400 and a Quadra HS flash head, I can shoot portraits (1-2 people) @ F8, 1/4000 sec, ISO 100. So, even with a light modifier I can shoot in almost any outdoor condition-even broad sun at the beach- and turn the background dark in order to focus on the subject. As has been shown by Elinchrom on Youtube, the ELB400 can freeze a skier in broad daylight in snow or a skateboarder at a skateboard park at noontime. Since my focus is portraits, for location work the general rule of thumb is to manually set your camera so the exposure with out flash is under-exposed by about 1 stop. Then you add flash to bring your subject out of the background. Sometimes, if the background is bright and uniform- like a lake or the sky- you can deliberately over expose the background by up to 1 stop, use flash to illuminate your subject normally. This will give the photo a bright, dreamy, hazy quality which can be nice for portraits of women. So having one flash for location work can be very helpful.
02-01-2017, 12:41 AM   #51
Pentaxian

ok, good to know, thanks. I think from what i've read the Elinchrom ELB400 should be able to work w/Pentax due to the long flash duration at high power. I would be curious however if there is any good news when using the Elinchrom on the 645D or Z, since that larger mechanical shutter seems to be where the Priolite is at its performance limit. Any thoughts?

Last edited by mikeSF; 02-01-2017 at 12:57 AM.
03-27-2017, 08:47 AM   #52

I have sponsored two units of the PRIOLITE 500 ULTRAīs in the summer of 2016 thru the KICKSTARTER project. I donīt know where my money went. To the PRIOLITE US company or to the manufacturing company in Germany ?? Or it went to Kickstarter ? I really don`t know. I only know that I have not received anything up to date.... (2017...)
This PRIOLITE experience is very frustrating since it was a lot of money for me.....

Read more at: LIGHTNING : new PRIOLITE MBX500HS ULTRA in sight - kick-starter interesting prices ! - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

03-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax31 Quote
I have sponsored two units of the PRIOLITE 500 ULTRAīs in the summer of 2016 thru the KICKSTARTER project. I donīt know where my money went. To the PRIOLITE US company or to the manufacturing company in Germany ?? Or it went to Kickstarter ? I really don`t know. I only know that I have not received anything up to date.... (2017...)
This PRIOLITE experience is very frustrating since it was a lot of money for me.....

Read more at: LIGHTNING : new PRIOLITE MBX500HS ULTRA in sight - kick-starter interesting prices ! - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
Have they emailed you with any estimates or updates?
03-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #54
Pentaxian

what are they telling you?
The last bit of comments I saw on the kickstarter page were from the end of December and there was a guy still waiting, Samten Norbu. Is this you?

PRIOLITE ULTRA, 1/8000th Flash Sync Compact Li-Ion Monolight by PRIOLITE ? Kickstarter

I would be rattling that cage every day if i were you.

Last edited by mikeSF; 04-01-2017 at 05:54 AM.
03-27-2017, 11:09 PM   #55

I have written Kickstarter but there was no answer. I hope to get a positive answer from the "info" mail address that was given by Kickstarter since it is the person or company that offered to sponsor this project. It`s the same address as on their webpage. Not sure if they are in NY or California? I am still hoping for a refund.
03-28-2017, 03:01 AM   #56
Pentaxian

I have written Kickstarter but there was no answer. I hope to get a positive answer from the "info" mail address that was given by Kickstarter since it is the person or company that offered to sponsor this project. It`s the same address as on their webpage. Not sure if they are in NY or California? I am still hoping for a refund.
oh, the kickstarter orders were fulfilled by a group in the USA?
I dealt with a German distributor (not part of the kickstarter), and it took just over 1 month to receive my kit, FWIW.
Good luck and you should challenge the credit card charge at the very least.
03-31-2017, 01:36 AM   #57

There's a guy called Kevin at "info@priolite.us" and he was always responsive and helped with a couple of small issues that I had. I believe that all the Kickstarter pledges should have been fullfilled about 3 months ago.

FWIW, I have three of the lights and they're performing as advertised/predicted.....excellent bits of kit.

Bob
04-07-2017, 11:14 AM   #58

Thanks Bob L, thanks MikeSF for trying to help!

The last mail (of many, since 2016) was from Feb 2nd 2017 telling me that I would get a refund if I did not get the ULTRA`s by mail.

I am still hoping to get my money back.... I will let you know how this ends up.
07-03-2017, 06:48 PM   #59

I gave up waiting.

Last edited by Pentax31; 07-06-2017 at 12:54 AM.
07-04-2017, 04:43 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Unfortunately this scam is continuing.
I don't think it is fair to speak of a "scam", at least as far as PrioLite is concerned. I don't know any details, but at least the German company appears to be very reputable. From what I have witnessed, it seems that the former US distributor (now replaced?!?) appears to have dropped the ball at least in some cases, but that's not the same a PrioLite being an accomplice in a "scam".

Joachim Renschke from Germany has emailed me about the "huge success" that this Priolite ULTRA Kickstarter promotion has been.
Joachim Renschke was formerly the director of Hensel. He then founded PrioLite. He seems to be a person of integrity and I find it very hard to believe that PrioLite did not deliver on products or service. One cannot expect them to pick up the pieces that someone else (the former US distributor) caused.

Mr. Renschke even took my money directly from me when I purchased a trigger (for Pentax) from the german factory for the use of the two ULTRA`s that I had purchased on this project.
Did he deliver the trigger? If so, why wouldn't he take your money?

The problem is that when you encounter this type of internet scam, if more than one country (worldwide) is involved, it is very, very hard to get your money back.
Again, you make it look like there was concerted effort to scam people. From the outside, it does not look like that, though.

I hope you can still somehow resolve the matter with the responsible party.