Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2016, 12:23 AM   #1

Warning priolite marketing claims

Hello

I just want to warn everybody, the priolite hot sync does not work like the Pentax Speedlights.

I put together some facts here:
Priolite Review | Bangkok Photographer Studio Valentino

best regards

04-05-2016, 12:37 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The manufacturer is ambiguous about this, but ultimately implies that the system is designed for freezing motion outdoors:

"Utilizing the entire range of possible shutter speeds with the Priolite Hot Sync System allows photographers to shoot with wide-open apertures in sunlit environments, freezing motion of fast moving objects, and enables them to create images difficult or impossible to capture before.

Sounds like we could maybe still use some modern LS lenses

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-05-2016, 12:43 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
ultimately implies that the system is designed for freezing motion outdoors:
To further this point: you would have a mind denser than depleted uranium to use HSS in the controlled confines of a photography studio.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sounds like we could maybe still use some modern LS lenses
And put up with the 20,000 MTBF? no thanks, I have enough aggravation with that already*. The use of electronic Global shutters is a more practical approach, and will improve video quality as well for those who desire it.

* As we speak I have two schneider lenses off for service, and a Leica-S CS lens that is showing signs of wear. Good thing I have backups for these lenses.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-29-2017 at 04:35 PM.
04-05-2016, 05:05 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Once upon a time mechanical curtain shutter MTBF was much worse. It is possible leaf shutters would improve. I do agree that electronic global shitters have more promise.

04-05-2016, 05:22 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Once upon a time mechanical curtain shutter MTBF was much worse. It is possible leaf shutters would improve. I do agree that electronic global shitters have more promise.
I think you meant "shutters".
04-05-2016, 05:48 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I think you meant "shutters".
Well spotted
04-05-2016, 06:05 AM   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it reads much better this way....

04-05-2016, 08:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do agree that electronic global shitters have more promise.
Priceless.
04-05-2016, 09:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Sh*t happens ....I once praised a forum colleague for his lovely sh*ts.....
04-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
To further this point: you would have a mind denser than depleted uranium to use HSS in the controlled confines of a photography studio.
Ha, thanks for the laugh! :-) It's sad to see people get stuck in such weird logical assumptions.
04-05-2016, 09:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

We often get this confusing discussion ... Someone comes on and says they need HSS to freeze motion and action, then we all tell them that, no, you don't need HSS, you really need a flash at low power ....

I think ultimately it depends on the ambient lighting and exposure needed. HSS outdoors is mainly about contrast control and mixing lighting. The promotional material we originally saw here for these flashes, to use with the 645z, emphasised the freezing motion elements ....
04-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love auto correct. Sigh. Glad I made a few smiles pop up.
04-05-2016, 10:53 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love auto correct
What kind of useless auto-correct doesn't have shutter in its vocabulary and proposes a somewhat vulgar synonym for a toilet instead? Please don't tell me it uses a predictive algorithm based on your previous inputs.
04-05-2016, 12:41 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
What kind of useless auto-correct doesn't have shutter in its vocabulary and proposes a somewhat vulgar synonym for a toilet instead? Please don't tell me it uses a predictive algorithm based on your previous inputs.
Lg g3. It also tries to make shot vulgar but not all the time.
04-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
then we all tell them that, no, you don't need HSS, you really need a flash at low power
This boils down to the fact that a lot of people don't really understand how mechanical shutters actually work, That the shutter blades only move about 25m/s, and at speeds above the sync speed the shutter blades aren't actually moving any faster, instead: the two shutter blades just form a slit moving synchronously across the sensor. Also a lot of confusion has come about from flash technology, which major manufacturers still haven't fully gotten on-board with IGBT technology. There are still a ton of variable power strobes out there where their fastest flash pulse is at full power. This makes things confusing when people move to a photographic studio and suddenly realize that the techniques they learned with small and light strobist gear, get flipped upside down with high powered studio strobes.

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-07-2016 at 02:03 AM.