Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2016, 02:08 AM   #16
Veteran Member

One extra 'nice to have' feature that you get with the all-Cactus (V6 plus RF60) system, is remote control of the Flash Head Zoom, from the V6 transmitter .... This can be 'swapped' easily between power output control and flash head zoom, and independently for whichever group is selected. Admittedly, Flash Head Zoom is not as essential for remote operation as power ... It's something we'd tend to set once at the start ..... But it can be helpful and save time and moving around.

I am not aware that zoom is supported with any non-Cactus flashes .... ? It's another good reason that I may get an extra RF60, instead of an extra V6 to use with a Pentax flash. You can add further RF60s into an HSS setup, either doubling up within one group (for extra power or faster recycling), or in additional groups (up to 4), for creative light balancing. You just need to activate the HSS Sympathy mode plus any delay required (depending on triggering method) and ensure the slave mode is correct. It's quite a few steps and needs thinking about .... One thing that is not yet automated or remote.

04-11-2016, 06:46 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
One thing that is not yet automated or remote.
Hopefully, the announced V6 Mk II will take care of this.

Last edited by Class A; 05-04-2016 at 02:28 PM.
04-11-2016, 07:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Hope so! .... Do you think that the modes and delays might be able to be set on the V6 instead of the RF60 ? Does it really have enough control input options to make this efficient?

What might work well is for the detailed inputs to be made on the RF60 as a kind of 'HSS User Mode', and remembered .... And the actual switching on and off of that user mode to be made simply with the V6....
04-11-2016, 08:03 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Do you think that the modes and delays might be able to be set on the V6 instead of the RF60 ?
You can already set a delay using the V6, you don't need to set it on multiple RF60s.

As for remove mode switching, I definitely hope this is will be included. Would have been good to have on the V6 already, but on an HSS-capable V6 Mk II it is much more urgent, AFAIC.

04-11-2016, 09:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

The V6 delay though only applies to the radio trigger signal ... It wouldn't help me at present with the optical P-TTL HSS solution as the optical pre-flash would not be delayed. I like to use the V6 in any case for the convenience of controlling the power and zoom of the RF6O, with the Pentax control flash on top in 'TTL pass through mode .. It would be great to have the option even with that optical approach to control the mode and delay settings, or at least activate/deactivate them from the V6.