Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-09-2016, 12:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How Can I Achieve Off-Camera HSS?

Hello everyone, I've got a K-3. a Pentax 540 flash, and a handful of Yongnuo flashes. I've got wireless flash triggers, but none of them can do off-camera HSS. Can Pentax finally achieve this? I know there are some triggers out there that can do this, but I'm not really sure which ones. I also wouldn't mind corded options, but I'm not sure if any exist. I would greatly appreciate any help! Thank you again in advance!

04-09-2016, 01:38 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This article explains how to do it with a little workaround, all that's needed in an HSS-capable flash on the camera (like the 540 you already have).

Cactus RF60 Review - Special Features | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-09-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Came across Acon R930 a few days ago. Havn't tried it myself, but: see
04-09-2016, 03:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I put the optical Cactus solution into practise with this demonstration thread .....

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/311128-pentax...-hss-demo.html .....

Apart from the obvious limitations of the optical triggering technology outdoors, it has the advantage of being very reliable, plus the Cactus RF60 emits a true pulsed HSS output. The Pentax extension cords and shoes will give full P-TTL plus HSS functioning off-camera, but you need two HSS capable dedicated system flashes, one on the camera and one slave.

04-09-2016, 05:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think the Acon 930 wireless trigger could do the trick.
04-09-2016, 06:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
I think the Acon 930 wireless trigger could do the trick.
Aside from using a long hot shoe extension cable, the Acon 930 is probably the simplest way to do off-camera HSS, particularly if you want P-TTL support. Wireless HSS works out of the box, using the 930's default 'AUTO-mode' configuration.
04-10-2016, 08:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Aside from using a long hot shoe extension cable, the Acon 930 is probably the simplest way to do off-camera HSS, particularly if you want P-TTL support. Wireless HSS works out of the box, using the 930's default 'AUTO-mode' configuration.
Is there a cable you can recommend? The one I have doesn't seem to allow for HSS. Or maybe, I'm doing something wrong.

---------- Post added 04-10-16 at 08:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I put the optical Cactus solution into practise with this demonstration thread .....

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/311128-pentax...-hss-demo.html .....

Apart from the obvious limitations of the optical triggering technology outdoors, it has the advantage of being very reliable, plus the Cactus RF60 emits a true pulsed HSS output. The Pentax extension cords and shoes will give full P-TTL plus HSS functioning off-camera, but you need two HSS capable dedicated system flashes, one on the camera and one slave.
I'm not sure if maybe I'm just not understanding, but if I use a cable, I would still need two hss capable flashes? One to be the "triggerer" and the other to be the "triggeree"?

The Acon seems very promising. Would you say it's worth getting now? Or better to wait for a version 2? As in, does it have a lot of "issues" (no idea what those issues could be) currently?

---------- Post added 04-10-16 at 08:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This article explains how to do it with a little workaround, all that's needed in an HSS-capable flash on the camera (like the 540 you already have).

Cactus RF60 Review - Special Features | PentaxForums.com Reviews
I'm not sure if maybe I didn't understand. Does the article mean that I would have to purchase an RF60 to make it work?

Seems pretty cool. Would you recommend this over the Acon triggers?

04-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Is there a cable you can recommend? The one I have doesn't seem to allow for HSS. Or maybe, I'm doing something wrong.
I use a $20 PTTL hot shoe extension cable I got off eBay (made by JJC). HSS will work with any PTTL compatible hotshoe cable (ie one that has a shoe that matches the pins on a Pentax camera hotshoe).

Note pls that HSS will need to be turned on in your flash unit first (controls vary, depending on your flash) for HSS to work under any option - cable, Acon 930 wireless or whatever.

Acon is a working HSS solution, but note that if you want to use Acon radio units to directly trigger several remote flashes, you will need several Acon 930 kits in order to get one transmit (TX) unit and several receiver (RX) units. Each kit as ordered has one TX and one RX unit. (Unfortunately they don''t seem to sell individual transmitter or receiver units).
04-10-2016, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure if maybe I didn't understand. Does the article mean that I would have to purchase an RF60 to make it work? Seems pretty cool. Would you recommend this over the Acon triggers?
It just describes how to get HSS to work with a third-party trigger- I would ask @Class A; for more clarification, as he's an expert in that area

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-10-2016, 12:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Sorry, also I need to correct myself ... For an extension cord solution you don't need an on-camera trigger flash, as I incorrectly said before. The extension cord makes the Camera ' think' the flash it on the hotshoe, so all P-TTL features work with an off-camera flash connected by the cord. You can also use an adaptor shoe to use two or more flashes as 'wired' slaves.
04-10-2016, 05:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Hello everyone, I've got a K-3. a Pentax 540 flash, and a handful of Yongnuo flashes. I've got wireless flash triggers, but none of them can do off-camera HSS. Can Pentax finally achieve this?
As others have posted you can use Acon triggers to achieve off-camera HSS, but only for your Pentax 540 flash. The advantage of using P-TTL HSS is that you get automatic exposure support and the disadvantage is that you don't get easy group control, manual level control, etc. from the camera position.

The Cactus V6 supports HSS in the way that has been posted already. You then need one P-TTL HSS flash for triggering and one or more RF60s as off-camera flashes.

The Cactus RF60 is the only flash I know that can be set to HSS mode manually. All other flashes require P-TTL communication to activate HSS illumination (which approximates continuous light for the duration of the exposure). You can use other flashes using the HyperSync technique, but that means that full power will be your only power level choice because if you reduce the power, the flash pulse won't be long enough anymore to illuminate all of the frame.

A way to achieve off-camera HSS lighting without any P-TTL equipment is the "Starter Pistol"-method using the V6 again (but without optical triggering).

Hope this helps.
04-10-2016, 05:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
As others have posted you can use Acon triggers to achieve off-camera HSS, but only for your Pentax 540 flash. The advantage of using P-TTL HSS is that you get automatic exposure support and the disadvantage is that you don't get easy group control, manual level control, etc. from the camera position.

The Cactus V6 supports HSS in the way that has been posted already. You then need one P-TTL HSS flash for triggering and one or more RF60s as off-camera flashes.

The Cactus RF60 is the only flash I know that can be set to HSS mode manually. All other flashes require P-TTL communication to activate HSS illumination (which approximates continuous light for the duration of the exposure). You can use other flashes using the HyperSync technique, but that means that full power will be your only power level choice because if you reduce the power, the flash pulse won't be long enough anymore to illuminate all of the frame.

A way to achieve off-camera HSS lighting without any P-TTL equipment is the "Starter Pistol"-method using the V6 again (but without optical triggering).

Hope this helps.

I know this is kind of off topic, but can the v6 control yongnuo flashes? As in, change power, etc remotely? Or will that only work with cactus flashes? I ask because I'm already pretty invested in yongnuo flashes. The cactus flashes look great, but starting all over with investments could be a deal breaker for me (for now, at least). I have no doubt the cactus triggers will fire just about any flash, but will the other features be available? Thanks for the awesome information.
04-10-2016, 05:53 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

The Acon seems very promising. Would you say it's worth getting now? Or better to wait for a version 2? As in, does it have a lot of "issues" (no idea what those issues could be) currently?

Just works for me, Reivax.

The hardware's apparently capable of groups, but the firmware isn't yet.

Treat it as cheap and cheerful, like a cable minus the cable.

At 1/250s:

04-10-2016, 06:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

can the v6 control yongnuo flashes? As in, change power, etc remotely?
ClassA is the Cactus expert, but yes, v6 can control YN's, depending on the flash model. It can also 'learn' how to control flashes too:

Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V6 | CACTUS
04-10-2016, 08:06 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I know this is kind of off topic, but can the v6 control yongnuo flashes? As in, change power, etc remotely?
Remote power control is supported for a large number of flash models, but they either have to be supported by a V6 flash profile or need to support the old analogue TTL protocol, in which case the V6 can create a flash profile by "learning" its power profile.

I'd say it is rather unlikely that your Yongnuo flashes will be supported because you probably have manual models, such as the YN560-III.

The V6 supports the YN568-II for instance which you probably don't own unless you have a second camera system. Have a search whether your models are supported. I maintained a list of compatible models for quite a while but new models continued to be added and at one point I didn't keep up anymore.