Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #1

Hot Shoe Issue

I had an accident a while back. Dang near wound up in the hospital, but managed my fall except that my Pentax KIII had a strobe mounted that whacked the hotshoe mount off the camera as I went down with it in my hand. Strobe and camera survived fine. I've made several attempts to glue it with J&B and such, roughed it up and carefully clamped. All worked, but not for very long before even with careful handling it comes free.

So, I have in mind to attempt using VERY small machine screws, .25 inch or less length and as small diameter as possible, to put it back in place. Not sure what's underneath but hoping nothing critical. Not having TTL flash is a major bummer, as my Mecablitz 44 AD 1 really doesn't have much in the way of manual controls.

I've ordered an off camera shoe and cable, but, of course, it won't be TTL.

Thought I'd ask the fans here to see if you had any other thoughts.

Dave

04-09-2016, 03:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallette Quote
Not sure what's underneath but hoping nothing
Hope is a wonderful thing.....................

And personally I doubt a few little screws will be any more secure in plastic than the epoxy glue. I would send it in for repair. Keep in mind that any re-sale value is going to go to essentially zero if you start drilling screws into the camera. Assuming you don't brick it in the process.

Best of luck, I hope you find a good solution.
04-09-2016, 04:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks

Could care less about resale value as I've yet to sell a good camera. Still have an ancient Pentax K and a 120 TLR from before my own time.

Just want it working. As to sending it somewhere, I rather doubted that was an option. Most stuff is considered expendable these days. If I do the screw job I'll epoxy as well.

Dave
04-09-2016, 05:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just want it working. As to sending it somewhere, I rather doubted that was an option. Most stuff is considered expendable these days.
Not sure where you are but Pentax would certainly repair that. No idea of the cost of course. But I don't consider things expendable. I've had several bodies repaired. And quite a few lenses.

I would not assume there was "nothing" under there though. Every seen the inside of one of these? They use all the space there is. Anyway, good luck.

04-09-2016, 05:30 PM   #5

Original Poster
I'll give it serous thought before taking action. As the repair is clear, I'd hope to be able to get a firm quote from Pentax if they do such repairs. Couldn't be more straightforward.

Dave
04-09-2016, 06:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As the repair is clear, I'd hope to be able to get a firm quote from Pentax if they do such repairs. Couldn't be more straightforward.
US warranty repair is through Precision Camera Repair in Enfield, CT. Non-warranty repair can go elsewhere. This might help: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/189-repairs-warranty-service/316284-penta...e-listing.html

I believe Precision just has a flat rate fee but you should be able to get something from the website. Precision Camera - Digital Camera Repair, Video Camera Repair
04-09-2016, 09:39 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

KEH (keh.com) provide also non-warranty repairs. Keh is a (very) well-known and reputable second-hand camera seller/buyer and they have extensive experience in refurbishing used cameras.
Note: I have not used them for repairs but for 2nd hand lenses.

04-09-2016, 11:59 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Hi Dave ,
I had a similar accident and ripped the top of a friends K5IIS . Had it replaced by CR Kennedy in Melbourne . $150 around about from memory . They sent me all the broken top parts after the repair was done as they replace the whole top of the camera to fix it . I would advise strongly against drilling into the top of the camera as there is quite complex wiring all around the inside of the top camera body . The 4 screws that hold the hot shoe on are screwed from the inside . The plastic Pentax flash foot is designed to shear off before damaging the camera mount . But i had a third party flash which had a metal foot and the result was the whole hot shoe mount came away from the body . The flash base would have been around $50.00 to repair .
Regards Anthony .
04-11-2016, 03:56 PM   #9

Original Poster
I'd be happy enough to pay that, but I suspect the to and from Australia would be prohibitive. My strobe foot is fine. Just the camera mount sheared off.

Right now I am going to get by with just a sync. Having to manually adjust is annoying but doable until I find the right repair service.

Dave
04-12-2016, 08:25 AM   #10

Original Poster
Hmmm...here is another thought. Wonder if I could locate an extension TTL device. One that has full contacts on two shoes. The J&B industroweld would hold a shoe on there just fine and I could mount the strobe on my hand mount.

Anyone aware of such an animal?

Dave

---------- Post added 04-12-16 at 08:41 AM ----------

Found and order one for 18.00. If it works, it will be fine.

Dave