Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I imagine I'll eventually buy more as well. I have a 540 and 360 and have used them wirelessly a number of times, but have recently been limited by objects blocking the camera's and flashes' communication, so I needed something else. I think these will work great, and I still frequently use my trusty old Vivitar 283 with an extension cord for off-camera lighting.

Thanks everyone for a great thread with lots of good information.

03-03-2010, 10:10 PM   #122

for international buyer, I bought Flashwave v2 set from Korean online shop Konovaphoto.com (originally bbosasi.com) for $165, + shipping cost $17 EMS to Japan (fast shipping).

They only listed Flashwave v1, but you can ask them for v2.

Now I have to buy an external flash, but cannot decide between 540fgz and 360fgz.
noob here
03-03-2010, 10:53 PM   #123
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Good info Julia. Now for the flash, get the 540 if you are going to use it wirelessly with your triggers. One reason is increased power and with a softbox or umbrella, it' got more power for off camera light. But the biggest reason is that you can turn off the sleep mode. If you go a few minutes between shots, the 360 will go to sleep and you will have to reset your settings each time it does this. The 540 will stay on and you just keep shooting till the batteries die.
03-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #124
Pentaxian

I agree with Peter, get the 540 first. I did, then bought a 360 later. I've thought about getting a couple more 360s, but I have an old Vivitar 283 that puts out more power and does just fine.

Someone mentioned earlier (I believe in this thread) you can buy cheap old flashes to be used with the Flashwaves hotshoe. Yesterday I had my 360 on the receiver hotshoe and had my 283 plugged into the same receiver using the Flashwaves supplied cables. Both flashes were firing from the same receiver and it worked great (also mentioned here earlier!).

03-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #125

^ thanks, now I'm heading to 540.
03-08-2010, 04:11 AM   #126
Forum Member

I don't know if this off topic here as I haven't read the whole thread from start to finish - so apologies if this is out of order or offends.

I have a Metz 58AF1, a AF400FTZ and a couple of small and ancient Cobras. I use the really cheap ebay PT-04 triggers from Godox/Yongnuo and find them 100% reliable. I have also recently bought some RF-602 kit, also from Yongnuo, which are 2.4ghz units. Again, I have never once had a misifre. The build quality of the RF-602s is much higher.

Reliability is important to me, but the budget is even moreso.

The Metz unit is brilliant - aside from a lower price than the 540 it has a higher guide number and, for me the clincher, the secondary reflector providing fill in light (and great catch lights) when the light from the main head is being bounced.
03-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #127
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
There's a new version on Ebay. Flash Wave III
I checked the manufactures site and it shows a picture of the same unit.
They are still on Amazon as well but not this version.

I've written the manufacturer to get more info and will update the thread when they write back.

03-22-2010, 08:01 AM   #128
Pentaxian

It's interesting the transmitter now stands upright when attached to the camera. A benefit of the older versions mentioned here a number of times is how they sit flat on the top of the camera.
03-23-2010, 07:51 AM   #129
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
I'm in contact with the manufacturer right now. First trying to get a list of dealers and second to find out what products are available now. I understand that they still have the transmitter that lays flat. it's the one I would prefer as well. I have 2 of them now. The way I handle my gear on a shoot, I'd be worried about it sticking up as well.
03-23-2010, 07:56 AM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I'm in contact with the manufacturer right now. First trying to get a list of dealers and second to find out what products are available now. I understand that they still have the transmitter that lays flat. it's the one I would prefer as well. I have 2 of them now. The way I handle my gear on a shoot, I'd be worried about it sticking up as well.

Thanks for staying on this, Peter, and for sharing your findings here.

Will
04-11-2010, 03:37 AM   #131

I have had excellent experience with Cactus V4s, they are nothing like the old V2. Built in antenna, great range and very reliable.... in fact I now offer these to my customers.

Only probs we ever have is with the odd 5D mark I -- but those cameras would have issues (coloured stripes on photos) with any 433Mhz trigter...
05-11-2010, 02:18 AM   #132

Any review of Flashwave-III?

It seems Flashwave-III is now available. Amazon.com: FlashWave-III Wireless Radio Slave Receiver (Receiver for Remote Wireless Flash Trigger System) - Receiver Unit: Camera & Photo

Has anyone seen any reviews of the unit or tried it?
07-01-2010, 02:09 AM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Genes Pentax Quote
It seems Flashwave-III is now available. Amazon.com: FlashWave-III Wireless Radio Slave Receiver (Receiver for Remote Wireless Flash Trigger System) - Receiver Unit: Camera & Photo

Has anyone seen any reviews of the unit or tried it?
I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about it If you haven't invested in the older versions, go get em coz they aren't compatible with v1 and v2!
08-11-2010, 07:24 AM   #134
Inactive Account

Have anyone tried the new Yongnuo YN-4 triggers.

Im looking into bying radiotriggers, but it feels like a jungle of options here

I understand that the Cactus V4's are proven to be good, but im curious to the new Yongnuo's wich seems newly designed and so on.....
08-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Have anyone tried the new Yongnuo YN-4 triggers.

Im looking into bying radiotriggers, but it feels like a jungle of options here

I understand that the Cactus V4's are proven to be good, but im curious to the new Yongnuo's wich seems newly designed and so on.....
Don't know anything about Yongnuo, but I've never had a problem with my FlashWave II system. They've been very reliable.

Will