Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2016, 08:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cactus RF60 Not Working in Hotshoe

My Cactus RF60 works fine when I'm using it by a stand alone flash with my V60's. The other day I tried it on the hot shoe of 3 of my Pentax camera's (K-20D, K-5, & K3ll). I reread the manual and it very simple instructions. However, it will not fire. Anyone else have this problem and did you find a fix? Or do others in the forum have in working without any problems.

05-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Shutter speed below 1/180s?

Steve
05-03-2016, 09:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Shutter speed below 1/180s?

Steve
Yes. I've tried it at 125, 160 & 180. Even tried to set it up for HSS and it's a no go. Are you able to use it on your hotshoe as a stand alone flash?

Thanks
05-03-2016, 10:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would check a few things. First make sure the RF60 is pushed all the way forward in the hotshoe. I know, it sounds too simple, but I've seen people do it. Next make sure that the RF60 is set to "L" mode for Local. Make sure the delay timer is set to 0 when firing from the hotshoe. You'll probably want to turn HSS mode off. I'm not sure if having it on will cause it not to work, but it will only do sympathetic HSS when the RF60 is in slave mode. It will not do HSS from the hotshoe since there are no TTL contacts on the foot, only the central sync pin. If none of that works, I would test your hotshoe with another flash if you have access to one.

05-03-2016, 10:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
I would check a few things. First make sure the RF60 is pushed all the way forward in the hotshoe. I know, it sounds too simple, but I've seen people do it. Next make sure that the RF60 is set to "L" mode for Local. Make sure the delay timer is set to 0 when firing from the hotshoe. You'll probably want to turn HSS mode off. I'm not sure if having it on will cause it not to work, but it will only do sympathetic HSS when the RF60 is in slave mode. It will not do HSS from the hotshoe since there are no TTL contacts on the foot, only the central sync pin. If none of that works, I would test your hotshoe with another flash if you have access to one.
I had checked all of the above as well. I've been searching Cactus forums and DP Review for answers before I came here. I'm puzzled for sure.

Does your RF60 or does anybody have the RF60 working on a Pentax? Thanks for the ideas as well so far. I know there's a fix or something else is wrong.
05-04-2016, 12:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
RF60 has the simple interface of a full manual flash. Try another manual flash if you can. But if you tried with 3 different camera body and your RF60 does not work (with good contact and charged batteries), I'm afraid that it might be the RF60 that is out of order.
05-04-2016, 02:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
RF60 has the simple interface of a full manual flash. Try another manual flash if you can. But if you tried with 3 different camera body and your RF60 does not work (with good contact and charged batteries), I'm afraid that it might be the RF60 that is out of order.
I have 3 other flashes: The Metz 58 AF‑2 Digital, and 2 Metz 50 AF-1's and they all work fine. It just might be a problem with the RF60. I sure wish I would have tested that months ago. Not sure if the warranty will fix it.

I take it that yours works in the hotshoe?

05-04-2016, 07:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes, I can fire my RF60, using the hotshoe on my K-5 and my K-3.

You can test the RF60 easily, by shorting the center pin on the bottom of its hotshoe, to the ground pin (look at the side of the hotshoe), using a bent paper clip. It's safe, you won't get shocked or anything. If the RF60 fires, then you know the basic trigger circuitry in the RF60 is working.
05-04-2016, 11:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Yes, I can fire my RF60, using the hotshoe on my K-5 and my K-3.

You can test the RF60 easily, by shorting the center pin on the bottom of its hotshoe, to the ground pin (look at the side of the hotshoe), using a bent paper clip. It's safe, you won't get shocked or anything. If the RF60 fires, then you know the basic trigger circuitry in the RF60 is working.

That's a good idea. I tried it and it fired with no problem. So, I'm back to square one. I wonder if I need to do something on the camera that i haven't though of yet.

I really do appreciate all the help I'm getting.

Thanks to all.

WARNING: I'm Really Stupid statement ahead.

Okay, I got it working. I had the flash in backwards, I guess I had turned the flash head in the other direction. I was so caught up in why it didn't work & missed what was right in my face.

Once again, thanks to everyone who offered some great advice.

Last edited by glee46; 05-04-2016 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Found a Solution
05-04-2016, 05:30 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote

Okay, I got it working. I had the flash in backwards

We've all been there, Glee!

Glad there was no locking pin or similar involved.
05-04-2016, 11:22 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
We've all been there, Glee!

Glad there was no locking pin or similar involved.
"Been there" is territory which is very familiar to me. It's as I get older, and the "Been There" happens on a more frequent basis that has me worried.