Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2016, 03:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Acon R930: HSS question - Do I have my settings right?

Hi.

I just bought the Acon trigger set and have a question regards HSS.

I can get it to flash above the sync speed in Manual mode by setting the shutter speed to anything over 1/180s. This is with all the LED's 2,3,4 all set to green. However, given that I am in manual mode, to set exposure I adjust iso and/or aperture up or downwards.

Aperture Priority
However, in aperture priority it keeps over exposing. Again this is with LED's 2,3 and 4 all green. If I set iso to say 500, rather than increasing the sync speed over 1/180 it just over exposes. Note: The flash is a fgz560 and it is set to HSS mode on the flash. There is definitely communication going on as the zoom in the flash adjusts as I change the focal length on the zoom.

Is the three LED's 2,3 and 4 set to green actually in auto mode?

I am using a K3.

Howie Be

05-04-2016, 05:42 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not sure I understand, Howie.

To adjust the background light level you fiddle with ISO, apeeture, etc.

To adjust the flash light level you use your FEC settings - plus one to minus two stops.

It's P-TTL.

Last edited by clackers; 05-04-2016 at 01:31 PM.
05-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you re-start the Acon, it should revert to it's default setting ('Auto mode'),which supports P-TTL, HSS etc out of the box, and the 4 LED's should show green. As the 'manual' says, once the 4 LEDs blink green, hold down the side button (next to the power switch) for a while to confirm auto mode.

Be careful not to flick the side button repeatedly, because it is also used to toggle between Auto > Manual power > Remote shutter mode.

In auto mode, aperture priority flash shooting should work like normal P-TTL flash shooting, even if HSS kicks in. Whatever camera settings you normally use when your FGZ 560 is mounted on top of your K-3 should work the same as when your FGZ 560 is sitting on top of the Acon receiver.
05-04-2016, 01:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi and thanks.

However, I've never managed to get all for LED's flashing green, hence my question. If, I'd got them all to flash green, i wouldn't have had to ask. Lol.

I guess I'll have to keep trying to somehow get them to do this.

Regards,
Howie Be

05-04-2016, 08:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
I guess I'll have to keep trying to somehow get them to do this.
Probably just a matter of fiddling about a bit. Or perhaps closely reviewing
again to see how magnavox831 did his settings.

Did a manual come with your unit? If not, there's one here:
Download - acon-photo
05-04-2016, 11:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You can't do P-TTL HSS in Av mode ... Stick to using manual, that's best, or Tv and Tav will also allow control of the shutter speed beyond the max sync.I don't recommend Tav with flash though, due to the auto-ISO in that mode.

Last edited by mcgregni; 05-05-2016 at 12:05 AM.
05-05-2016, 03:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
You can't do P-TTL HSS in Av mode ...
Right you are. I should have checked the K-3 manual myself. The camera manual does suggest P mode might work too, but one may as well play it safe and just work with Tv or M.

05-05-2016, 04:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow. Never knew that. Seems a bit strange though. I would have thought if you used an aperture and iso that would cause an over exposure the camera metering would force it to choose a shutter speed above x-sync and go automatically into hss.

It seems its really a hybrid hss as it effectively isn't doing any metering for you. I`d call it manual hss rather than pttl hss.

Howie Be
05-05-2016, 07:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The flash part of it is automatic P-TTL flash exposure .... In fact there's no Manual flash exposure for HSS with the dedicated system flashes. Regarding the camera exposure mode and the ambient brightness control, then it seems that the design is to force you to actively choose to go beyond the Max sync when using HSS, and you only actively choose that in M, Tv or Tav modes. When the camera chooses the shutter speed then it doesn't work, such as Av and P ....(I don't think P mode can work for HSS either).

Anyway, honestly, for good HSS results you really need a firm grip on both ambient and flash exposure balance, and exposure time is the most intuitive way to control ambient in my view, and the flash exposure is controlled with flash compensation, as mentioned by another poster earlier.
05-12-2016, 10:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok. Thanks for assistance so far.

Next question, assuming I have the Acon working probably, does any flash compensation show up on the flash LCD screen. I've dialled in flash compensation and it is not showing up on the LCD of the flash.

Thanks in advance.

Howie Be
05-13-2016, 05:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Flash compensation you have set in the camera will not show up in the flash LCD screen.

And vice versa. The controls act independently.
05-13-2016, 08:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Yes, as well as cumulatively ... The camera FC figure will be added to the flash one, or taken away if negative. The camera FC amount is used to adjust the power output needed which is communicated to flash (in this case via the radio signals). The flash-set FC is an additional adjustment by the flash at a ' local level', added or subtracted to the output instruction sent from the camera.

How are you finding the Acons generally for reliability ... That was the only real concern I was aware of....