Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2016, 05:51 PM   #1

Anybody using continuous LED Fiilight or Rotolight Neo etc...

Hi,

I am interested in a continuous light / LED strobe that is portable enough to use outdoors but also with enough juice to overpower the sun and provide nice fill.

I see that Jason Lanier is recommending the rotolight neo - has anybody any experience with this?

I'm also aware that continuous will not provide the same level of power as a traditional strobe (for now anyway), however I am happy to bump the ISO a little and I was thinking that continuous may well provide a very useful way to leverage pixelshift in a studio setting nevermind should still be able to provide enough light to overpower the sun.

Can anybody recommend anything? The Godox SL200's look interesting....

Tom.

05-13-2016, 11:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't have any experience or recommendations, but just a related question ... I can see the use and practicality in a studio, say for pixel shift like you said, but is it not going to be very difficult to balance continues lighting with background ambient light outdoors, given that that both light sources record via the same camera exposure? The advantage of flash is that the flash exposure and ambient exposures are effectively entirely independent. I just wonder if juggling LED power with shutter speeds/ISO/apertures to get a good balance would be rather complicated?
05-13-2016, 11:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
To be honest I was playing with an icelight in a wedding situation and it was lovely and easy to modify the light and impact in real time - particularly with respect to placement. Effectively it's like live view with your lighting setup!

Flash for sure has major advantages - however I was hoping for a continuous solution off camera that would negate the need for HSS in strobes and pixel shift and could also be shared for some video usage. The unicorn solution so to speak!
05-13-2016, 12:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Maybe it's not such an issue then,.... Hope you get some useful suggestions soon.