Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-24-2016, 08:53 AM   #1

K 1 and wireless trigger and TTL

Hi Forum, I was wondering if anybody has experiences and recommendations for a wireless studios flash setup that allows TTL and HSS? Am thinking of a setup using the Jinbei HD600 II.

Thx

05-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think Acon and Priolite make the only TTL transmitters for the Pentax system right now. I haven't used either to be able to comment authoritatively on them, but I believe the Priolite transmitter only works with their brand of studio monolight. The Acon trigger may work with the Jinbei unit you mentioned, but since they were designed mainly with speedlights in mind, you'll likely need some kind of TTL cord to hook it up Out of curiosity, why do you need HSS in the studio?

05-24-2016, 02:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

According to the Adorama website they are going to have a wireless radio trigger later this summer. It's going to be called the Flashpoint R2 Transmitter for Pentax. My guess is that it manufactured by Godox and OEM for Adorama.
05-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
According to the Adorama website they are going to have a wireless radio trigger later this summer. It's going to be called the Flashpoint R2 Transmitter for Pentax. My guess is that it manufactured by Godox and OEM for Adorama.
This unit is very intriguing. The Nikon model is only $79.95 USD for the slave kit. If the Pentax is similarly priced, the R2 would make for a very intriguing option.

Steve

05-24-2016, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tried the Acon this week on the new K-1, selfied with the phone's ImageSync app ... works fine.

05-25-2016, 05:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Acon has released "trigger" unit with cable plug for studio flashes some time ago Store - acon-photo
05-25-2016, 07:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Tried the Acon this week on the new K-1, selfied with the phone's ImageSync app ... works fine.
A selfie! When I saw the other couple of these shots in that other thread I assumed you'd had a portrait session with a brother or cousin

I'd like to know the ambient settings here ..... Was the background actually quite bright? Anyway, very good effect and balancing control!

05-25-2016, 01:36 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
(Laughs). My coterie of wardrobe, hair and makeup stylists were nowhere to be found, Nigel, and I didn't Photoshop my face, so, at the age of fifty, talk about suffering for your art!

I do like to underexpose backgrounds (another reason I love HSS), but in this case the sun had set.

You've seen the next mucking-around shot where the gaps between the trees have become abstract red blobs (and a fill flash has been introduced).

Last edited by clackers; 05-25-2016 at 01:48 PM.
05-27-2016, 01:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxlevel42 Quote
Hi Forum, I was wondering if anybody has experiences and recommendations for a wireless studios flash setup that allows TTL and HSS?
In addition to those triggers already mentioned, there is also the Aokatec solution which is based on optical P-TTL signals. The resulting setup is pretty bulky though.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxlevel42 Quote
Am thinking of a setup using the Jinbei HD600 II
None of the mentioned triggers will be able to drive the Jinbei HD600 II in HSS mode natively.
In particular, you won't get P-TTL (automatic exposure) with them.
You will also struggle to get the necessary pre-sync signal from your camera unless you involve a P-TTL HSS speedlight. I understand that both Aokatec and Acon triggers rely on such a flash to make the camera provide the pre-sync timing.

It seems, however, that the Jinbei HD600 II can be set to HSS mode manually, which opens up more trigger options.
You could use the Cactus V6 with the "starter pistol" method or with optical triggering using an on-camera P-TTL HSS flash. I think your best bet would be the Cactus V6 Mk II which hasn't been released yet but will support HSS natively.
All of the Cactus solutions would be purely manual control, though. However, you'd get full control over four groups from the camera position, whereas P-TTL is rather limited as far as multi-flash control is concerned.

Last edited by Class A; 05-27-2016 at 01:39 AM.