Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2016, 12:38 PM   #1

Off camera HSS system

Hi there,

I was reading a lot of topic about HSS but now, I am a little bit confusing (one reason why is, that English is not my first language). Could someone write what are options for using HSS off camera flash in this time ? I would like use it for sport, so this mean sometimes units won't see each others, and for portraits.

I would like have something simple, just trigger mounted on camera and receiver on flash. Something that allows higher speed than 1/1000. If it allow PTTL and control power, is it better.

In this time I have Pentax AF360FGZ and Yongnuo YN560 with K-1, but I want to buy another flashes. don't know which one yet, it looks it depend on the wireless system what I will choose.It could be good if I could buy a few cheaper units as Yongnuo.

Aokatec: It looks complicated a bit. Will it works ok for me, with cheaper flashes ?

Acon: I read somewhere that it's works fine just for one flash. that is reason why they sell just a pair and is not possible buy second receiver?

Cactus V6: this looks like the best option but, speed only up to 1/1000. And if I am right, for HSS I need mount one V6 on the camera with flash and triggering another flashes by optical sensor ?? What about V6 mkII ?

Adorama Flashpoint R2: this looks good too but still in development. the question is, will it works as: transmitter on the camera without flash, receivers on flashes and that's it ?

Is there something else ? Or studio lights as Priolite but not so expensive ?

Thank you :-)

Last edited by 88lukas88; 05-26-2016 at 12:54 PM.
05-26-2016, 01:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Priolite is the only other system that I know of, but it only works with dedicated lights and is designed for outdoor shooting:

Priolite: Sync Speeds Up To 1/8000s With Pentax - Third-Party Announcements | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not a pentax solution, but buy a Nikon D70s or older, you can use any flash at 1/8000 without messing with HSS. (Might require some tape if it's nikon flash). You'll just be maxed at 1/8 output (flash takes about 1/1000 second to fire)

There's a good article on some birding site somewhere about it, but I couldn't find it, so here's a strobist page on the topic

Strobist: Hacking Your Camera's Sync Speed, Pt 1
05-26-2016, 05:26 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 88lukas88 Quote

I would like have something simple, just trigger mounted on camera and receiver on flash. Something that allows higher speed than 1/1000. If it allow PTTL and control power, is it better.

In this time I have Pentax AF360FGZ and Yongnuo YN560 with K-1, but I want to buy another flashes. don't know which one yet, it looks it depend on the wireless system what I will choose.It could be good if I could buy a few cheaper units as Yongnuo.
Choose carefully, Lukas, you have already bought one flash that can't do more than 1/1000s.

Probably best not to buy a Metz until they issue a firmware fix, too.

Last edited by clackers; 05-26-2016 at 07:51 PM.
05-26-2016, 07:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The Adorama R2 Flash Trigger that is under development is designed to work with GODOX – AD600 Witstro and Adorama Flashpoint XPLOR 600 HSS TTL Battery-Powered Monolights. It also looks like it will work with the GODOX – Witstro AD180 / AD360 Bare Bulb Flash sold by Cheetastand, B&H, Adorama and Interfit by their OEM brands. It would have been nice if Ricoh had developed an off camera system of their own to go along with the K-1. If enough K-1s are sold maybe Phottix, Elinchrom.Nissin or Profoto will introduce an off camera system for Pentax.

Last edited by fwbigd; 05-26-2016 at 07:48 PM.
05-27-2016, 01:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Cactus V6: this looks like the best option but, speed only up to 1/1000.
That 1/1000s limit just applies to normal triggering.
It is well beyond the 1/180s (or 1/200s) sync-speed of Pentax DSLRs.

I use my V6 at 1/8000s with the "Starter Pistol" method or optical triggering.

And if I am right, for HSS I need mount one V6 on the camera with flash and triggering another flashes by optical sensor ??
If you don't use the "starter pistol"-method then you need a P-TTL HSS flash on-camera to get the pre-sync signal (in the form of the pre-flash). You can directly trigger a V6 optically and the rest of the communication is via radio. Hence this approach will work in bright sunlight as well. However, it is not ideal having to hold the V6 in front of the on-camera flash or build a contraption that directs the light to it.

What about V6 mkII ?
This will natively support HSS. It won't require any of the aforementioned workarounds.
Should be available soon, as it has already been announced and seen on a fair.

Adorama Flashpoint R2: this looks good too but still in development. the question is, will it works as: transmitter on the camera without flash, receivers on flashes and that's it ?
This is a re-badged Godox trigger.

I'd be slightly surprised if it actually materialised because Godox has never cared for Pentax in the past. Of course they could start now, but in none of the reports of the respective Godox trigger has there ever been a mentioning of planned Pentax support.
05-27-2016, 01:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
n none of the reports of the respective Godox trigger has there ever been a mentioning of planned Pentax support.
I agree, Godox only support the big two: Nikon and Canon for dedicated TTL flash control.

06-16-2016, 07:27 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I agree, Godox only support the big two: Nikon and Canon for dedicated TTL flash control.
They added Sony e-mount this spring.