Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-29-2016, 04:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

How to sync the flash with camera

I want to use an off camera flash on my K-3II. I want to shoot in manual (camera and flash). What kind of sync cord will I need??

05-29-2016, 05:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Several ways to do this depending on what gear you have and what you want to achieve.

If your flash has a PC sync port that is likely the simplest and cheapest, just buy a PC sync cord of the length you need. Your K-3II has this port on the front left below the GPS button.

A more elegant method is to use radio triggers such as the Cactus v5 or v6. Using these you do not have to worry about tripping over a cable or whether the flash has a PC sync port.

Another method is to use a hotshoe mounted adapter that has a cable or port that is compatible with your flash. Without knowing more about your flash gear that is the best I can do.
05-29-2016, 05:20 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fnflying Quote
I want to use an off camera flash on my K-3II. I want to shoot in manual (camera and flash). What kind of sync cord will I need??
I think just about any off camera hot shoe cord will give you a manual trigger.
A dedicated cord will give you P-TTL.
And the official Pentax way would be to use Pentax Hot Shoe Adapter F and Pentax F5P 3' Extension Cord for Off-Camera TTL Flash with Pentax Cameras or Pentax F5PL Extension Cord. But, again, not needed if yu don't want P-TTL.
05-29-2016, 05:21 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
https://photoflex.com/products/starfire-digital-flash

05-29-2016, 05:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K-3II requires a male sync chord (the port on the camera is female), and the other end depends on your flash. The one that I have also has a female connector, same as the camera. Works well for me, but most of the time I use a small hotshoe flash to trigger optically.
05-29-2016, 05:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fnflying Quote
https://photoflex.com/products/starfire-digital-flash
You already have this flash? If so, as best I can tell from the pictures and specs there are no ports so you need a hot shoe based trigger. If you want to stay with a wired solution you need something like this: Impact SCS-MPC PC Male to Hot Shoe Sync Cord (12") SCS-MPC
plus an extension cord to reach whatever distance you need.

If you don't already have the flash you might look at other alternatives which do have a external trigger port.

Personally I would go with a radio trigger solution. Probably more money but in the long run a better answer IMHO. I started out with cables and had a whole collection of rigged together things to make my system work. Things are much simpler now with a set of radio triggers.

05-29-2016, 08:25 PM   #7

I have been using the Yongnuo 560 IV flash and the 560 TX transmitter. It is the best bang for the buck especially if you are going to be shooting manual flash. As you add more flashes the transmitter allows you to change the power and zoom from the camera. The flashe units are also transmitters and receivers but you would need a flash as a commander. Now if you already have a flash, they also have a 603 radio triggers which are cheaper, but I have never used them
I have used the Wansen radio triggers which are very inexpensive. You will have to change your power settings by physically walking to your flash units. They work great but one died on me after 2 years and the second one I bought had a weak contact and I would have to play around with it to fire. So the short is it can be inconsistent but it's an unbeatable price. I used them with my Yongnuo and Oly flashes until I sprung $40 for the 460 TX. A nice thing about the Wansen is you can shoot mixed brands. It doesn't care it is a radio trigger. If yo7 have mixed with Yongnuos you will need to use a 603. If for some reason you think you will need high speed sync you will need to invest in something else.

05-30-2016, 05:24 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You already have this flash? If so, as best I can tell from the pictures and specs there are no ports so you need a hot shoe based trigger. If you want to stay with a wired solution you need something like this: Impact SCS-MPC PC Male to Hot Shoe Sync Cord (12") SCS-MPC
plus an extension cord to reach whatever distance you need.

If you don't already have the flash you might look at other alternatives which do have a external trigger port.

Personally I would go with a radio trigger solution. Probably more money but in the long run a better answer IMHO. I started out with cables and had a whole collection of rigged together things to make my system work. Things are much simpler now with a set of radio triggers.
I agree, but I already have these flashes. Using the camera hand-held (walking around) with a flash bracket...all in manual mode. would this work even though not shooting P-TTL...Vello Off-Camera TTL Flash Cord for Pentax Cameras (3')???

thanks for all your help everyone!
05-30-2016, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If it works on the hotshoe, it'll work on that cable.