Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Flash Pentax should produce

I know this is for the upcoming Sony flash, but I hope Pentax will follow suit and develop something similar. This looks really cool. It sure seems like Sony is putting a lot of resources into their DSLR cameras.

Sony's new Flash

07-16-2008, 04:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you think the end result would be better than a flash with conventional tilt and swivel? I don't think so...
But, on a marketing point of view, it's different, so it will attract some people.
07-16-2008, 04:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

That's an utterly ridiculous design, IMO.
07-16-2008, 05:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think it's genius.....if it works as designed.

07-16-2008, 05:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If they really wanted to do something different, they would have allowed it to rotate through all 3 axis.
07-16-2008, 05:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Recently I was working an event and the photographers hired to shooth the even all had a frame mounted to thier cameras on which the flash was mounted and it alloweed them to flip the flash when the camera was turned verticle. This seems like a way to accomplish the same thing without having to buy another attachment.
07-16-2008, 06:06 AM   #7

BTW, I kind of thought that flash heads are not square shaped but wider because then they match the sensor that is also wider horizontally. But in this position the camera sensor is now wider in the other direction than the flash. Doesn't it create problems ? Like flash vignetting at wide angles ?

07-16-2008, 06:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by procyon Quote
BTW, I kind of thought that flash heads are not square shaped but wider because then they match the sensor that is also wider horizontally. But in this position the camera sensor is now wider in the other direction than the flash. Doesn't it create problems ? Like flash vignetting at wide angles ?
If you're using direct flash you can always not turn it so it works just like regular flash.

This is the best flash design I've seen. If one uses bounce it's easy to follow camera orientation no matter what accesory one might have attached to flash head. Think, what use is bounce card (that most of todays flash units have) if oen wants to shoot vertical frame and bounce of celing? ... None.
07-16-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Conceptually i like the design.

Practically, you have this really long, bulky flash hanging off your hotshoe. Doesn't seem like a good idea for durability.
07-16-2008, 11:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raz-0 Quote
Conceptually i like the design.

Practically, you have this really long, bulky flash hanging off your hotshoe. Doesn't seem like a good idea for durability.
Sony has an advantage here: Minolta's proprietary hotshoe design.
07-16-2008, 01:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

plus, it's really not that much larger than other similarly ranged flashes.
07-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Instead of going for something fancy, why not keep it compact, user friendly, fast to recycle, accurate and mechanically reliable (540FGZ fails on all these). The Sony flash is a 1/2 bake solution. The flash still needs a bracket if you want it sits above the lens in portrait orientation. I am sure, however, that it will work from marketing POV.
07-17-2008, 10:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I am simple, Keep the 540 design, add weather seals and faster recycling and an option for a 5th battery for even faster recycles
07-18-2008, 07:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Instead of going for something fancy, why not keep it compact, user friendly, fast to recycle, accurate and mechanically reliable (540FGZ fails on all these). The Sony flash is a 1/2 bake solution. The flash still needs a bracket if you want it sits above the lens in portrait orientation. I am sure, however, that it will work from marketing POV.
honestly, 'good' brackets shouldn't even have the flash on the same vertical axis as the lens. that's how you get redeye. sure, the higher it is, the less it is, but still. move it 3 inches to the left, and wow, red eye's almost gone! and the sony achieve's this
07-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

How about you go to the page and look at all the pictures, you flip it and use it as a regular flash, and tilt it etc.