Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2016, 03:49 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use of flash at wedding

Just a quick one this time. The wedding I will be shooting will be outside around 3.30 to 5.30. The sun (if we get any in August) will be in back of them for the whole ceremony plus the bridal party shots. I"m just wondering about whether to have a diffuser on the flash for some of the closer shots, such as getting out of the car and during the vows?
As usual any input welcomed.

06-08-2016, 04:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If the sun is strong and on their faces, you will get a lot of squinting, so it may be better to have the sun behind and use a flash at -1.5 or so to fill the face. Keep the flash low so that it just provides enough light to lighten the face without it looking like there is a flash - back lighting by the sun will also make a nice hair light or highlight. Try it out first! PS: even if the sun is on their face, you may get strong shadows around the eyes and nose. Again, a low amount of flash can fix this. However, you will probably need a high speed sync. Another thing to try first!
06-08-2016, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm understanding that they will maybe be a bit backlit.....I use a Gary fong Lightsphere for that sort of thing.... for sunsets in the background I preffer a reflector so the light is a similar temperature (or gel flash).... but I don't know that much....

Lightsphere shots

reflector

For beach weddings, I take tools and remove all signs and rubbish bins as well!

Last edited by noelpolar; 06-08-2016 at 05:15 AM.
06-08-2016, 05:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Assuming your flash is performing in a 'fill' role, and you're taking about on-camera direct flash, then I'd forget about any diffuser.

It will just scatter the light too much, losing you range and power, and as still a small light source (not much bigger than the flash head) .... As we've seen in your other thread recently even a small softbox that is a distance away from the subject still produces fairly harsh light.

Also a diffuser is just one more thing to mess around with, distract, or fall off ! The main things to concentrate on are the techniques you'll use to meter and cintrol' ambient light and balance that with the flash. It is likely to need a flexible approach outdoors, assuming you'll be moving around a bit.

---------- Post added 08-06-16 at 12:10 ----------

Also, if you are using a daylight white balance then you might want 1/2 CTS gel on the flash to stop the skin tones looking to cool.

I saw the previous post about using the GF Lightsphere ... Now that's one diffuser that certainly won't fall off, that's fair to say! I think it will scatter the light though and not make a big difference to the light quality, especially from any distance.

---------- Post added 08-06-16 at 12:46 ----------

The Lightsphere works well indoors though like in Noels shot with the Registrar there ... It spreads light all around 'dome' fashion, and you get a soft and wide coverage. Is not particularly directional though .... I'm just not so sure about it outdoors ....I remember some heated debate on here a while back! I'm more convinced by the "big is best" argument, and unless you're very close then most small diffusers will still be a small light source.

Last edited by mcgregni; 06-08-2016 at 05:39 AM.
06-08-2016, 11:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

This one honestly depends on what your lighting looks like. I think on-camera flash should be used IF you need it, but I wouldn't use it otherwise.

If you feel the your subject won't look right without some flash, and you are in the "live action" part of the wedding, go a head and use your on camera flash.

If you are doing the posed shots and need to illuminate your subject, use off camera flash (diffuse optional). I use the cheapo Yongnuo IV and TX radio trigger (nikon version). I put the flash on a mono pod and give it to an assistant to aim. From my TX controller, I can adjust power and get the shots I want. Obviously, this won't work for the live part of the wedding but those aren't going to be their favorite shots any way. Typically its the posed shots everyone is looking forward to.
06-08-2016, 07:46 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Assuming your flash is performing in a 'fill' role, and you're taking about on-camera direct flash, then I'd forget about any diffuser.

It will just scatter the light too much, losing you range and power, and as still a small light source (not much bigger than the flash head) .... As we've seen in your other thread recently even a small softbox that is a distance away from the subject still produces fairly harsh light.

Also a diffuser is just one more thing to mess around with, distract, or fall off ! The main things to concentrate on are the techniques you'll use to meter and cintrol' ambient light and balance that with the flash. It is likely to need a flexible approach outdoors, assuming you'll be moving around a bit.

---------- Post added 08-06-16 at 12:10 ----------

Also, if you are using a daylight white balance then you might want 1/2 CTS gel on the flash to stop the skin tones looking to cool.

I saw the previous post about using the GF Lightsphere ... Now that's one diffuser that certainly won't fall off, that's fair to say! I think it will scatter the light though and not make a big difference to the light quality, especially from any distance.

---------- Post added 08-06-16 at 12:46 ----------

The Lightsphere works well indoors though like in Noels shot with the Registrar there ... It spreads light all around 'dome' fashion, and you get a soft and wide coverage. Is not particularly directional though .... I'm just not so sure about it outdoors ....I remember some heated debate on here a while back! I'm more convinced by the "big is best" argument, and unless you're very close then most small diffusers will still be a small light source.
Beginning to feel like pen pals mcgregni. Sorry, what is the CTS? Most of this is outdoors, though after all this faffing about, it might move to inside if the weather turns. August here is not a good time for an outdoor wedding! If so I do have a Gary Fong diffuser, but I lost the top bit. though I suppose if necessary I can get a replacement. Anyway seems that advise to use as fill flash on camera is the best idea. Not so worried about the posed shots, just the quickies as they walk down, get out of cars etc. Thanks again.

---------- Post added 06-08-2016 at 07:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I'm understanding that they will maybe be a bit backlit.....I use a Gary fong Lightsphere for that sort of thing.... for sunsets in the background I preffer a reflector so the light is a similar temperature (or gel flash).... but I don't know that much....

Lightsphere shots

reflector

For beach weddings, I take tools and remove all signs and rubbish bins as well!
thanks for that, the reflector would be a super idea, and if we can find somewhere to use it I shall. Nice shots by the way.

---------- Post added 06-08-2016 at 07:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
If the sun is strong and on their faces, you will get a lot of squinting, so it may be better to have the sun behind and use a flash at -1.5 or so to fill the face. Keep the flash low so that it just provides enough light to lighten the face without it looking like there is a flash - back lighting by the sun will also make a nice hair light or highlight. Try it out first! PS: even if the sun is on their face, you may get strong shadows around the eyes and nose. Again, a low amount of flash can fix this. However, you will probably need a high speed sync. Another thing to try first!
Most of the time the sun will be behind them, and during this part (before bridal party shots) I shall have it on camera. Thanks for the advise.

---------- Post added 06-08-2016 at 07:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
This one honestly depends on what your lighting looks like. I think on-camera flash should be used IF you need it, but I wouldn't use it otherwise.

If you feel the your subject won't look right without some flash, and you are in the "live action" part of the wedding, go a head and use your on camera flash.

If you are doing the posed shots and need to illuminate your subject, use off camera flash (diffuse optional). I use the cheapo Yongnuo IV and TX radio trigger (nikon version). I put the flash on a mono pod and give it to an assistant to aim. From my TX controller, I can adjust power and get the shots I want. Obviously, this won't work for the live part of the wedding but those aren't going to be their favorite shots any way. Typically its the posed shots everyone is looking forward to.
Thanks for that, yes it's just the live action pics I will be using the on camera flash. The posed ones, I will be doing as you do. Still working on that! When you use the off camera, (I have virtually the same set up) do you use naked flash or soft box/umbrella.
06-08-2016, 08:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With regard the reflector..... my 52kg wife is only good for winds gusting to 20knots.... "where's Anna gone...... look up there...."

06-08-2016, 08:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
"where's Anna gone...... look up there...."
But the reflector didn't get wrecked, right? I have to say I much prefer the results with the reflector over the light diffuser. And at a wedding, there should be someone standing around looking bored, who might be better anchored than your wife!
06-08-2016, 11:22 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think you should use a bare flash unless it's a sunny day, Trish - unlikely in August.

Le Rolls uses a Gary Fong Lightsphere for his fantastic outdoor model shots (presumably at 90 degrees) if you've seen them in the FA Limited Lens Club thread, but I think a mini-softbox would make your light source even bigger than the flash head. A Rogue Bender is an alternative that's also quite robust - go for the bigger of their two sizes.
06-09-2016, 05:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I currently use bare flash since I don't own a portable softbox. It isn't ideal, but it can fill in the shadows well enough and illuminate a subject and make a creative photo where I wouldn't otherwise be able to get a photo. You have to be VERY careful of your angles or you will cast a shadow on your subject, or the person next to them. I find a 30 degree angle from my camera works best and minimizes shadows.

Using an umbrella or a softbox would be better. Umbrellas in outdoor settings are alright as long as wind isn't an issue. If there is even a chance of wind... The softbox is your best bet. I am saving up to get the parapop, just not in the budget right now. What is great, is that you can pop it up so fast. Not all softboxes are this easy to use.

Glow ParaPop 38" Portable Softbox GL-SBSM38PP
06-09-2016, 06:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Trishtee, the CTS gel is 'colour temperature straw' (straw coloured) and will prevent the skin tones looking cooler against a daylight balanced background ... More so if the sun is lower and warmer as well, in which case you can increase the strength to a Full CTS or even a 1/2 or 1/4 orange (CTO).

You can still use the gel on the flash head with a diffuser attached also ....

Were getting conflicting advice here, but mine, to use bare flash, was based on your first post where I saw you expected to be shooting intro the light, afternoon sun, from a distance with moving dynamic subjects ... So I didn't see the Fong or mini softbox as being particularly effective, and maybe not worth the extra effort, for a fill-in flash role. It may depend on how close you will be and how strongly you need your flash to illuminate the people ....

Bye the way what flash are you planning on using, and what sort of modes/settings etc ... ?
06-09-2016, 05:12 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Were getting conflicting advice here, but mine, to use bare flash, was based on your first post where I saw you expected to be shooting intro the light, afternoon sun, from a distance with moving dynamic subjects ... So I didn't see the Fong or mini softbox as being particularly effective, and maybe not worth the extra effort, for a fill-in flash role.
I reckon Noel's backlit beach shots above are great, Nigel, and you should check out LeRolls' superb outdoors glamour shots - they do much more than fill, they also get higher contrast on the subject. 'Available light' is often simply not good enough for that style.

LeRolls tends to do them around sunset so he doesn't have to overpower the midday light, but the flash and Fong are usually not even on a stand close to the model, he says he generally holds the cabled flash out an angle with one hand, camera in the other.

Last edited by clackers; 06-09-2016 at 05:34 PM.
06-10-2016, 04:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks, I had a scan through some of LeRolls threads and there is great style and variety of course ! (I couldn't find the ones you referred to with a GF Lightsphere held with a cable ... ? ..... presumably that angle improve the modelling effects .. ).

Again, I'm sort of looking at the OP specifically and the situation he faces, plus his experience and equipment. I know he has been working a lot on getting the off-camera flash stuff working lately. I had assumed that he would be working alone without assistant and was not used to handling the on-camera modifiers. But if he's up for it, then its a great idea to practise using a modifier assuming the backlight is not too strong. My concern there was that it might push him back into HSS territory (which may be asking for more trouble) .... Again Tristee, what gear were you planning on using for these mobile shots and what were your planned mode / setting approaches ?
06-10-2016, 06:04 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, I had a scan through some of LeRolls threads and there is great style and variety of course ! (I couldn't find the ones you referred to with a GF Lightsphere held with a cable ... ? ..... presumably that angle improve the modelling effects .. ).
He says:

"I have a really basic and mobile lighting setup since I generally do not have an assistant with me. I use the AF 540 FGZ II flash from Pentax with a Gary Fong Lightsphere strapped to the front. I also have a Vello flash sync cord to keep the flash off and away from the camera. I hold the K-3 in one hand and the 540 in the other."

Outdoors you don't use the Fong as you described it.

You point it flash head at the subject with one of the domes on it.

Again, I'm sort of looking at the OP specifically and the situation he faces, plus his experience and equipment.
I think Trish is a woman .... not her in some of the shots in her other thread?
06-10-2016, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

I did a backlit beach wedding last summer and had the same worry. The sum of the advice I have is:
1) Outside, diffusers, lightspheres etc only kill power - with nothing to bounce off, they serve no other purpose unless they are large softboxes/umbrellas up close enough to create a large source - which you can't do at an event (except for posed shots)
2) If you are worried about harsh flash, turn it down. If it's done well, direct fill flash should not be obvious at all
3) Forget reflectors except for posed shots - and only if you have an experienced assistant
4) Pray for cloud - everybody is happier, more relaxed, less squinty, and (for you) better lit...if there is some high cloud cover
5) Practice practice practice - when conditions are as bad as possible, get outside with a friend or two and get the sun behind them and find the right settings and save them

Good luck!