Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-26-2016, 11:40 PM   #1

Using Yongnuo equipment on my Pentax K3

Speedlight YN568ex and YN622n-tx Flash Controller with YN622n 11 trigger (Equipment)
Has anybody tried this combo together on their K3, not worried about PTTL or iTTL as i am nearly sure this Speedlight wont work on Pentax PTTL system anyway. Need to know step by step instructions on the settup from start to finish, as i have had no luck at all. Is their settings in the cameras menu need to change.

06-26-2016, 11:55 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They should work fine, but they're fully manual flashes so bear that in mind.

You'll need to ensure that your shutter speed is set to 1/180s or slower.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-27-2016, 01:19 AM   #3
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by GregYoung Quote
Speedlight YN568ex and YN622n-tx Flash Controller with YN622n 11 trigger (Equipment)
Has anybody tried this combo together on their K3, not worried about PTTL or iTTL as i am nearly sure this Speedlight wont work on Pentax PTTL system anyway. Need to know step by step instructions on the settup from start to finish, as i have had no luck at all. Is their settings in the cameras menu need to change.
Not sure why you're using Nikon i-TTL compatible versions on Pentax bodies.

On my K5iis and K3ii bodies I use the YN 560 TX Controller OR YN RF-603NII Transceivers on camera and YN 560 III flashes off camera.

The YN 560 TX and the YN RF 603NII are Nikon versions but it's because the pin layout fits Pentax hot shoes.

Pentax bodies can't send Nikon iTTL so I'm guessing they simply can't be told what to do.

With the YN0560 TX, I can control zoom and power and currently have 4 flashes so 4 groups individually. Great head shot rig.
06-27-2016, 02:08 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Not sure why you're using Nikon i-TTL compatible versions on Pentax bodies.

On my K5iis and K3ii bodies I use the YN 560 TX Controller OR YN RF-603NII Transceivers on camera and YN 560 III flashes off camera.

The YN 560 TX and the YN RF 603NII are Nikon versions but it's because the pin layout fits Pentax hot shoes.

Pentax bodies can't send Nikon iTTL so I'm guessing they simply can't be told what to do.

With the YN0560 TX, I can control zoom and power and currently have 4 flashes so 4 groups individually. Great head shot rig.
Thanks Brooke for the info, the info on the Yongnuo is hopeless at best on the Pentax cameras, what i could gather is that the Nikon version works on Pentax and the Cannon doesn't. I used the Speedlight yn 568ex as it had HSS capability hoping that i may be able to use it on my K3.

06-27-2016, 04:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

As it is a Nikon dedicated system flash, then the natural assumption is that the HSS capability will not work on a Pentax body. Also, the trigger alone on a Pentax body cannot generate and send a trigger signal beyond the max sync speed.
06-27-2016, 06:17 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by GregYoung Quote
Thanks Brooke for the info, the info on the Yongnuo is hopeless at best on the Pentax cameras, what i could gather is that the Nikon version works on Pentax and the Cannon doesn't. I used the Speedlight yn 568ex as it had HSS capability hoping that i may be able to use it on my K3.
I have Canon version of YN 560TX controller and YN RF-603II transceivers and both work perfectly well on my K-50 and Q10, together with couple YN 560IV lamps.

p.s. For my amateur needs this setup is perfect. It's cheap, powerful and widely available.
How reliable/durable it is in professional environment ... no idea.
06-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #7
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by sawitar Quote
I have Canon version of YN 560TX controller and YN RF-603II transceivers and both work perfectly well on my K-50 and Q10, together with couple YN 560IV lamps.

p.s. For my amateur needs this setup is perfect. It's cheap, powerful and widely available.
How reliable/durable it is in professional environment ... no idea.
They work fine and are reliable & durable for professional use. I use the Nikon versions on K5IIs and K3II bodies. Here is why Yongnuo RF-603 II reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

The pins on the shoe mounts are different

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 06-27-2016 at 10:03 AM. Reason: added info & images